PDA

View Full Version : Commander credits his Marines for actions that earned him award for valor

thedrifter
01-21-04, 05:57 AM
Issue Date: January 26, 2004

Modest hero
Commander credits his Marines for actions that earned him award for valor

When you ask him about his Bronze Star with combat “V” device, Lt. Col. James E. Reilly launches into a discussion of the abilities of his Marines.
It has his name on it, but Reilly considers the award a unit citation.

“I’m very appreciative that the general took time out to recognize the success of the organization,” Reilly said Jan. 15, one week after the award was pinned to his chest by Maj. Gen. Richard Natonski, II Marine Expeditionary Brigade commander. “I just happened to be the recipient of the award.”

Marines who know him, and know of his performance as the commander of 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company during Operation Iraqi Freedom, say Reilly is being modest. The citation accompanying the award echoes their praise.

During the battle for Nasiriyah, for instance, Reilly led his Marines “in a hasty route recon behind enemy lines. As his patrol came under a withering hail of rocket-propelled grenades, AK-47 and heavy machine-gun fire, Lieutenant Colonel Reilly exposed himself to enemy fire by dismounting his vehicle and expertly engaging Iraqi forces, killing three enemy soldiers,” the citation states.

Reilly also is credited with creating a hasty perimeter defense to repel an expected counterattack by enemy forces and with disregarding his personal safety to cross 500 meters of open terrain repeatedly — exposing himself to potential direct and indirect enemy fire — to coordinate the medical evacuations of 31 wounded Marines.

The Marine Corps calls it “zealous initiative, courageous actions and exceptional dedication to duty.”

Reilly calls it working together to get the job done.

“We answered the general’s call, and we answered it well,” Reilly said. “It’s really to the credit of the Marines.”

— C. Mark Brinkley

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-2559084.php

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

yellowwing
01-21-04, 06:17 AM
The Marine Corps calls it “zealous initiative, courageous actions and exceptional dedication to duty.” Reilly calls it working together to get the job done. - The Army would have called it a Silver Star, (at least)!

It does give me even more appreciation for the SNCOs I've known with the Bronze Star Vs. :marine: