PDA

View Full Version : An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

irpat54
02-18-16, 08:13 PM
The city of Heracleion was engulfed underwater 1500 years ago. This grand city had been mentioned by the Greek writer Herodotus, the 5th-century BC historian. He had told a wonderful tale of Helen of Troy, who traveled to Heracleion, then a port of 'great wealth', with her Trojan lover, Paris.

underwater city Heracleion discovered
Photos: Christoph Gerigk ©Franck Goddio Hilti Foundation

When French marine archaeologist Franck Goddio stumbled upon some relics, it led them to one of the greatest finds of the 21st century; a city underwater. The discovery took place when Goddio had been in search of Napoleon’s warships from the 1798 Battle of the Nile, when he had been defeated by Nelson in these very waters, but to his surprise, he stumbled upon this magnificent discovery.

Here the team retrieves the statue of the god Hapi

i29622

underwater city Heracleion discovered

The discoveries include the colossal statues of the Egyptian goddess Isis, the god Hapi, and an unidentified Egyptian pharaoh, all preserved in excellent condition by their muddy burial shroud. Along with these 16ft statues there are hundreds of smaller statues of Egyptian gods, among them the figures that guarded the temple where Cleopatra was inaugurated as Queen of the Nile. Dozens of sarcophagi have also been found, containing the bodies of mummified animals sacrificed to Amun-Gereb, the supreme god of the Egyptians. Many amulets, or religious charms, have been unearthed, too, showing gods such as Isis, Osiris and Horus.

A red granite sculpture of a Ptolemaic queen

sculpture discovered from underwater city

A gold vessel, which is a shallow dish used throughout the Hellenistic world for drinking

gold vessel shallow dish

A bronze statuette of a Pharoah of the 26th dynasty

underwater statue

Evidence shows that Heracleion slipped into its watery grave sometime in the 6th or 7th century AD. The discovery of Heracleion will now add depth and detail to our knowledge of the ancient world, because among the discoveries, there are perfectly preserved inscribed pillars decorated with hieroglyphics.

Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/28/An-Ancient-City-Is-Discovered-Underwater-What-They-Found-Will-Change-History-Forever#o7p5tHOWuz1ERBI1.99

irpat54
02-18-16, 08:15 PM
An ancient lamp is discovered during the search

The god Hapi was the god of the flooding of the Nile, a symbol of abundance and fertility

A 1.9m inscribed pillar, commissioned by Nectanebo I (378-362 BC)

Kegler300
02-18-16, 08:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoy watching the Discovery and Travel Channels when they have these kind of documentaries.

Mongoose
02-19-16, 06:54 AM
I love anything to do with the rulers and Dynasties of ancient Egypt.

irpat54
02-19-16, 07:10 AM
I thoroughly enjoy scuba diving.

me too..

chulaivet1966
02-19-16, 11:09 AM
Long time ancient history addict here.

Yep.....great archaeological find that's for damn sure.

For those who also thrive on this sort of thing I'll throw this site out:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/news/fossils_ruins/archaeology/

Of course, there are other sites out there but I'm used to this one.

Back in the early nineties I'd subscribed to a weekly rag called Science News.
I'd subscribed during the Hubble days and had hundreds of them stacking up.
Although I did finally have to recycle them (priorities) when we moved back to the Bay Area from Groveland, Ca.
Kinda wish I'd kept them....I did have some emotional & academic attachment to to them.

Carry on....

Rocky C
02-19-16, 12:05 PM
I love it !

I have Roman coins dug from the dirt in the Coliseum. Don't tell anyone. I don't think I'm supposed to have them lol.

chulaivet1966
02-19-16, 12:21 PM
I have Roman coins dug from the dirt in the Coliseum.

Excellent find...I'm sure you will preserve and cherish these finds.

As I say I've been a decades long ancient history addict.
So....what is a long time musician/song writer to do?
Yes...write a song about 'Time Traveling'.

The last song on this link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=897733&content=music

To any that do give it a listen, thanks in advance.
Click the 'lyrics' link if further interested in my take on a great subject.

Carry on....

Tennessee Top
02-19-16, 06:50 PM
Just don't let ISIS know about any of this. They are in the habit of destroying ancient antiquities (because they can and nobody cares enough to stop them).

Natalie P
02-20-16, 02:47 PM
Somebody should care and stop them. That is ancient history that will be lost forever.