PDA

View Full Version : First duty station

Bwinch33
02-16-16, 10:02 PM
I'm ready to ship out to my first duty station this Saturday. It's Camp Hansen Okinawa, Japan. I'm a 1391. I was wondering how it is before I go there. Is there a lot of down time like I've heard? Will I have trouble talking to my family/friends back home? What kind of stuff is there to do? I hear there's a lot of games Bulk Fuel plays. I just want to know how it is here. It's my first duty station so I don't want to go in blind.

Thank you.

madsox
02-16-16, 10:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Marine!

I can't tell you much about Oki or life in Bulk Fuel, since I never went to the Rock and I was a Radio Operator (later Civil Affairs NCO) back in my day, but I can tell you that you'll be getting plenty of info pretty quickly here.

We're a generally helpful bunch around here, even when we're poking a little fun at each other.

And there will definitely be games. The new guy, at his first fleet posting after school? Be ready to have a good sense of humor, and look out for the places your NCOIC and other chain of command tell you not to go - there's usually a reason a place gets put off limits!

Carry on, Marine, and stay active here, it's great to have a mix of active/retired/former/etc Marines to keep the place lively.

Semper Fi!

SGT7477
02-17-16, 07:45 AM
Well get use to being called an Okinawan Cherry Boy,lol, best duty station I ever head, I am sure its changed since I have been there, lose that Cherry and listen, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
02-17-16, 08:00 AM
Fun times ahead. Bring plenty of money !

Best of luck to you.

What happens in " OKI ", stays in " OKI "....

Hammer
02-17-16, 08:08 AM
Welcome aboard, Marine!

I can't tell you much about Oki or life in Bulk Fuel, since I never went to the Rock and I was a Radio Operator (later Civil Affairs NCO) back in my day, but I can tell you that you'll be getting plenty of info pretty quickly here.

We're a generally helpful bunch around here, even when we're poking a little fun at each other.

And there will definitely be games. The new guy, at his first fleet posting after school? Be ready to have a good sense of humor, and look out for the places your NCOIC and other chain of command tell you not to go - there's usually a reason a place gets put off limits!

Carry on, Marine, and stay active here, it's great to have a mix of active/retired/former/etc Marines to keep the place lively.

Semper Fi!

Just so we're clear Andy. There are no former Marines! Once you earn the title..you keep it....

irpat54
02-17-16, 08:10 AM
when I was their, I was an 0331 so we trained, came back to Swab and washed our gear,, (lots of clay mud) had one day liberty and back out into the bush for more training,, that was my time their,, lol..

Tennessee Top
02-17-16, 09:27 AM
You're a boot. Expect to play games regardless of the unit/place. Three words of advice "embrace the suck" (because life as a PFC is going to suck).

Went to The Rock twice. Some love it and some hate it - most are in-between. Like everything else in our Corps, it's all what you make it. If you choose to be miserable, you will be miserable.

Good luck Devil.

madsox
02-17-16, 09:49 AM
Just so we're clear Andy. There are no former Marines! Once you earn the title..you keep it....

True dat - I shall go and "incentive PT" myself forthwith!

:evilgrin:

Hammer
02-17-16, 10:30 AM
I loved OKI! Good duty; didn't much care for the NTA however, but even then it was good training. I remember well the first flap we did in August 64, out of white beach for NAM, Lot's to do on OKI. You'll enjoy it.

MunkyVsRobot
02-17-16, 07:45 PM
boot hasn't even made it to the fleet yet and is already worried about when hes going to see mommy and daddy. Go there and plan for it to suck plan for PT at around 04 because by 06 its black flagged, youll probably have to use skype to talk to people. Plan to be treated like a boot and probably fapped out within the first 6 months.

Big Boz
02-17-16, 08:32 PM
You have a cell phone don't you? Facebook, skype. Plenty of ways to contact the family. <br />
<br />
I was told a little secret by a guy checking out that there was a code I could dial, and let the...

fl1946
02-18-16, 01:19 PM
Oki is what you make of it. First, the bar girls are not innocent young things; don't waste your time trying to convince them to change career :p Secondly, don't fall in love with your first pretty little thing. It ain't love.

Lastly, take some evening continuing education courses. More productive than hanging onto a bar stool every night. Enjoy!

Semper fi,

:marine:

Hammer
02-18-16, 01:59 PM
What? You telling me that I wasted my time with those bar girls and they lied to me! I can't believe that. Them saying "I love you long time" was words that I'm sure they meant. They seemed so caring! Damn, fifty one years later, I find out that it was a lie.

fl1946
02-18-16, 03:42 PM
The most often repeated phrase in FMF: "you numba one!" :angel: