PDA

View Full Version : Women in combat and the draft: answers to your biggest questions

Rocky C
02-16-16, 08:21 AM
WASHINGTON — The decision by the Pentagon to allow women to serve in all combat jobs has put new focus on an often-forgotten U.S. institution: the Selective Service.

While America has not had a military draft since 1973, all men must register with the Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18.

U.S. leaders repeatedly insist that the all-volunteer force is working and the nation is not returning to the draft. But there are increasing rumblings about whether women should now be required to register if they can indeed serve in all areas of the military.

Some questions and answers about the Selective Service and any moves toward requiring women to register:

Q: Is the Selective Service part of the Defense Department?

A: No. It is an independent agency that exists to ensure that the nation would be able to force men into military service in a fair and equitable way if directed by the president and Congress in a national crisis.

Q: Are women subject to the draft?

A: No. Under the current law, women can volunteer to serve in the U.S. military, but they are not required to register and they would not be subject to any draft.

Q: Has the law been challenged?

A: Yes. In 1981, the Supreme Court heard a case brought by several men challenging the law for gender discrimination. The court upheld the constitutionality of the male-only draft registration law. The court accepted Congress' decision to exclude women from registration because they were excluded from directcombat by statute and by military policy.

Q: Who would decide if women need to register?

A: It would take an act of Congress. Recently four U.S. House members introduced legislation to abolish the Selective Service, saying that the all-volunteer force is working. And two members of Congress introduced legislation requiring women to register but said they actually opposed their own bill. They said they were only doing so to trigger a debate on allowing women to serve in front-line combat jobs — which they also oppose.

Q: What does the Pentagon say?

A: When Defense Secretary Ash Carter decided to open all combat jobs to women, the Defense Department did a legal analysis of his decision. The analysis found the landscape has changed since the court case, and that opening combat jobs to women "further alters the factual backdrop to the Court's decision." The Pentagon had made no recommendation on the matter, but the department said it will consult with the Justice Department when needed.

Q: Do military officials and politicians believe women should register?

A: During recent hearings, the Army's chief of staff, Gen. Mark Milley, and the commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Robert Neller, said they thought women should have to register. Some key lawmakers, including Republican Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, agree. Republican presidential candidates Sen. Marco Rubio and former Gov. Jeb Bush said they supported the idea of havingwomen register. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz said later that including women would be "nuts" and a dangerous example of political correctness.

Q: What penalties are there if an 18-year-old doesn't register?

A: If an 18-year-old man does not register with the Selective Service he could lose his eligibility for student financial aid, job training and government jobs. Immigrant men could lose their eligibility for U.S. citizenship. According to the latest annual report, 73 percent of 18-year-olds registered on time in the 2015 fiscal year ending last Sept. 30. And, the registration rate for all men aged 20-25 was 94 percent.

Natalie P
02-16-16, 02:39 PM
I could never be in combat. I would be scared and cry. Thank you to all the girls that serve and keep me safe.

SGT7477
02-16-16, 02:41 PM
Equal rights,yup, Natalie theres always room in my foxhole, Semper Fidelis.

advanced
02-16-16, 03:49 PM
I could never be in combat. I would be scared and cry. Thank you to all the girls that serve and keep me safe.

Don't be scared, I'll make sure that your safe Honey.

Hammer
02-16-16, 03:54 PM
Damn glad to see you back Russ! We've missed you and your posts!

advanced
02-16-16, 03:56 PM
Thanks brother, got off the damn meds and back to my normal self.

SGT7477
02-16-16, 05:34 PM
This has generally also been my view too.

I just need somebody to wake me when the night attack begins on their watch while I am trying to get some sleep.

They can cry all they want. Fine with me.

Judging from Petraeus and Broadwell, this combat experiment is mostly going to turn into easy access prostitution for the infantry, arty, tanks, and engineers.

Why does that seem ok to me yet so many others get really upset about it?

Guess I am just too light hearted.
Kind of like a white tail buck in the rut, he is not aware of the danger and loses all senses of survival,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
02-16-16, 06:27 PM
Russ, welcome back brother !!!

Rocky C
02-16-16, 06:29 PM

I guess these horn dogs didn't look at your profile Natalie lol.

Hammer
02-16-16, 06:30 PM
Kind of like a white tail buck in the rut, he is not aware of the danger and loses all senses of survival,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Ronnie; you described it perfectly!

SGT7477
02-17-16, 07:47 AM
Just to let you know Lt. we shoot the hell out of mountain lions here, not a whole lot smarter than a buck in the rut,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
02-17-16, 07:48 AM
Hahahahahaha !!!

Mongoose
02-17-16, 07:52 AM
I consider all these comments as invalid. You can presume all day....but will never know until it gets tested. I for one don't consider this as an attack on my manhood. I'm secure and o.k. with the concept that there may be females who can walk the walk. Also, for those horny grunts that think they can't refrain from enacting their sexual urges....there will be plenty of righteous grunts around to make sure you don't put yourself in harms way, by acting like a animal in heat. Not to leave out the little fact that those females who make will not be a candy ass pushover. Myself, having been in combat more times than I can remember, know that when the shet hits the fan......it makes little difference who is covering your back, because we all take care of each other....it's how we survive and why we are feared. If they make the cut....they have my respect and my loyalty.

Rocky C
02-17-16, 07:57 AM
Well said Billy !!!

Hammer
02-17-16, 08:01 AM
Lt., you must have never done much Deer Hunting, and I've never done any Mountain Lion hunting, but a buck in rut does as Ronnie said. He throws all caution to the wind. I have done a lot of people hunting however, and the one thing I never needed was a distraction, real or imagined.

Mongoose
02-17-16, 04:39 PM
A Marine covering your back, is not a distraction, it's a blessing. In combat, you don't think about sex, most of the time you don't think at all. You just react to the job at hand. Maybe that's why I was a good Marine......I had self control. If I saw a brother Marine trying to rape a female Marine....I'd shoot his azz, cause he ain't no brother of mine.

jab116
02-17-16, 09:54 PM
I consider all these comments as invalid. You can presume all day....but will never know until it gets tested. I for one don't consider this as an attack on my manhood. I'm secure and o.k. with the concept that there may be females who can walk the walk. Also, for those horny grunts that think they can't refrain from enacting their sexual urges....there will be plenty of righteous grunts around to make sure you don't put yourself in harms way, by acting like a animal in heat. Not to leave out the little fact that those females who make will not be a candy ass pushover. Myself, having been in combat more times than I can remember, know that when the shet hits the fan......it makes little difference who is covering your back, because we all take care of each other....it's how we survive and why we are feared. If they make the cut....they have my respect and my loyalty.

Im sorry to tell you this, but it has been tested and was proven to be a major failure even at the most basic stages. Women can't even make it through SOI based on physical requirements, let alone the ones who decide to have sex. I can also tell you right now that no infantryman will take any female in the infantry seriously, regardless of rank.

advanced
02-18-16, 02:23 AM
Hey new guy, what outfit are you in?

jab116
02-18-16, 06:06 PM
Hey new guy, what outfit are you in?

1st Marine Regiment

Mongoose
02-18-16, 06:34 PM
jab, you sure know a lot for a boot with 5 months time in the Corps. I was a grunt Sweetpea.....and I would take it serious. You haven't been with a major command long enough to know what anyone else takes serious.
You don't even know how to address your unit.

jab116
02-18-16, 07:06 PM
jab, you sure know a lot for a boot with 5 months time in the Corps. I was a grunt Sweetpea.....and I would take it serious. You haven't been with a major command long enough to know what anyone else takes serious.
You don't even know how to address your unit.

Firstly, I'm not going to address my unit specifically for OPSEC purposes as the regiment shoulld be enough info. Second, I may have not been effective in my wording. The rank would be respected as all good Marines should and will do but billet comes before rank. The merits of women in direct combat arms has not been proven. It will be a long long time before they find themselves fighting side by side with their male brothers. The reality of it is these woman "infantrypersons" will be placed in supporting positions within their respected units. They will end up as the company runners/ clerks/ and custodian armourers because integration is just too much of a hastle.

Mongoose
02-19-16, 06:39 AM
Sand, Israel has not given it up. The border of Israel is always a very hot spot. It's borders are protected by Israeli women and men. About 50/50. If needed, they serve in direct combat with the men. They can do this because the women have Infantry training, just like the men The IDF is a very well trained unit with women serving without the ****ing and moaning from the men, like you get here in this Country.

Mongoose
02-19-16, 06:49 AM
Jab, you underestimate our Government. Number one...... it won't be up to the Marine Command where they will be placed. Number two......when has our Government ever gave a shet about, too much hassle?? Fact is, the more you are against something, the more the Government pushes it ahead.

SGT7477
02-19-16, 10:34 AM
Here in Cali we cannot hunt bucks during the ruts -- too easy.

I've hunted deer for 30 years, pigs for almost as long, grouse for 40 years, rabbits and squirrels for 50 years.

The hippies in the Sierra Club closed mountain lion hunting here in Cali forever -- now the lions get most of the deer here and an occasional jogger, mountain biker, and child too.

Lt how in the hell can they close the season during rut when it never happens during the same time each year, so if the season opens and you shoot and kill that buck in the rut your azz is in trouble,lol,I've deer hunted close to 40 years read your post and laughed my azz off, looks like the hippies still rule, have a good one, oh by the way what really brings on the rut, Semper Fidelis.