PDA

View Full Version : Gen. Zinni, a Good Man in a Fight

thedrifter
01-21-04, 05:53 AM
Gen. Zinni, a Good Man in a Fight

Sunday, January 18, 2004; Page D03

• Retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni has faced death in battle and stood up to the White House over its decision to invade Iraq. He clearly doesn't run from a fight.

He was outside the Chesapeake House rest area off Interstate 95 in Maryland one recent evening, waiting for his wife to come out, when a would-be robber pushed against him and announced he had a gun.

Zinni, who still lifts weights at age 60, says he just reacted naturally: He whipped around and grabbed for the weapon -- which ended up being the mugger's hands underneath a sweat shirt. The assailant punched Zinni. The general punched back, knocking the mugger over.

"You're crazy," wailed the crook, as an accomplice pulled up in a getaway car.

"You're ******* right!" replied Zinni. He reached into his car and bluffed: "If you want to see a gun, I'll show you one."

The bad guys sped off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26407-2004Jan17.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

hack4398
01-21-04, 06:38 AM
Gen Zinni was the GOH at our Marine Corps Ball this year here in Tampa. He told this same story then and it was AWESOME, everybody had goosebumps. He is truly a great American, and a great Marine.

Sgtj
01-21-04, 09:26 AM
When I was at 8th and I, I was getting my hair cut at 0530; at the famous Barbour shop across the street (Mr. Sneed’s). While he was finishing up the high and tight on my grape, an older man that had been sitting in front of me (reading the Marine Corps Times) looked up at me and said damn Marine you motivate the hell out of me. I am not sure if it was the high and tight or the fact that I was getting one so damn early in the morning.

That man was Gen. Zinni, on my way out he gave me his coin, and said remember Marine always lead from the front. I was promoted to Corporal (Meritoriously) that morning.

Oooh Rah!

MillRatUSMC
01-21-04, 11:18 AM
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I26381-2004Jan17L
What fool would take this man to stick-up or try to rob?
They must have being smoking something!
What a pair of fools...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

kentmitchell
01-21-04, 04:28 PM
Another man of action like Sen. Zell Miller, a sergeant in the 10th Marines back in '55.
Cops probably wet their panties hearing the story about the Gen. and the robber. Generally, they tell you to give the guy everything you have.
Hell, I don't want to do that. It's MINE. I earned it.

Sixguns
01-21-04, 06:25 PM
The General never flinched when faced with a desparate situation. Hell, the PLO and other threatening or malicious middle eastern groups never tried anything, as far as a personal targeting of Zinni, while he was the Cent Com or as Envoy to that region. Figures some knucklehead here, who nevers reads a newspaper, decides to bluff the General. He didn't even have a weapon. Hell those with stingers and other real weapons were never as bold as to try to make Zinni a target.

Sixguns

greybeard
01-21-04, 06:33 PM
Mess with a bull, you get the horn!!

P. M. SHEEHAN
01-21-04, 07:58 PM
he's also from the great state of nEw Jersey!

marinemom
01-22-04, 06:37 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting General Zinni at a Marine Corps Heritage Foundation function.

While he is not a tall man, he projects all the qualities of the Corps, and is the epitome of the words "officer and a gentleman", and is a man who is not afraid to get his boots muddy.

His retirement did not stop his service to his country - and we are all better for it.

VMGRMech
01-23-04, 05:24 PM
Not only is he from NJ, but the man is Italian as well. This story makes me happy on so many levels I don't know what to post

Yuutttt, Kill!

orlando_hsk
01-23-04, 06:58 PM
hack4398, what's a GOH?

GySgtRet
01-23-04, 11:06 PM
Guest Of Honor......!!!!!!!!!!