PDA

View Full Version : question about "views"

greybeard
01-20-04, 10:48 PM
Could someone explain something for me please? How does the 'view' counter thingie work. For instance:
The State of the Union thread got over 30 views in just 30 minutes, with only these people on the Open Squad Bay forum. I understand that each time an addittional page was addewd, that is a separate view. It had one reply, so that is at least 1-2 more views. But there were only:

Moderators(Sparrowhawk, thedrifter)
(Users Browsing this Forum: tomwhitt1, fitter234, greybeard)

on Open Squad Bay, and only 8-10 different people on the entire website. I replied then deleted my reply, as I asked the same question I am asking here. That's 2 more. For about 15 minutes, I was the only one viewing this forum, and each time I refreshed the page, the views had increased by a few. I wasn't re-viewing it, so it wasn't from me. How is this possible? Magic?

Sgtj
01-20-04, 11:00 PM
Maybe we should post a firewatch just for security!

Sparrowhawk
01-21-04, 09:32 AM
I think we should ask TracGunny
how his "Democratic Response to State of Unoin" had 4 responses and 50 views right away.

I notice your question, before I post this response had one response and only 25 views during the same time.

I don't know why?

I don't click click click to find out what and who is viewing what. I posted the message and returned to it today to see any responses that Imight need to respond to.

To tell you the truth, sometimes I post things and don't return to read them. I guess, I should in order to respond to what others have posted where I might need to repond.

There are bean counters out there that are obsessed with numbers, I have never watched the numbers as a moderator or in life. Time is too precious to waste my time doing something like that.

I enjoy posting and post what I feel is important to other Marines or what may bring a laughter to others, you'll see in the new tread I'll start in a minute or two. Who clicks on it or why, I don't know that's up to them.

"About underwear?" LOl

Sgtj
01-21-04, 09:49 AM
Sparrow Hawk your doing the right thing! Semper Fi.

greybeard
01-21-04, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply-it was a simple request. Actually, the Democratic response only had 17 views within 30-45 minutes. Considering it was a 2 part post, and that would mean Trac Gunny would probably click it at least 3 times himself. I looked at it 3 times myself, as I saw the replies = 2. If all 5 of the members logged into Open Squad Bay did the same, then those 17 views would be an accurate reflection of the members on board at the time. But, the other thread I mentioned had twice that number......... in the same time period, with approx the same number of personnell on board. I don't know why either. A vast right-wing conspiracy? :D :D

I belong to quite a few boards, some with 100's of active members. I've not seen this happen elsewhere. I'll check with some off site webmasters I know and post any/all possible explanation(s) they may have to offer.

greybeard
01-23-04, 01:39 PM
As it turns out, I won't post the answers I got. They were all unanamous, but it probably wouldn't go over well. :(