PDA

View Full Version : Marines' fitness rules could get tougher after Corps-wide review

Rocky C
01-23-16, 11:06 AM
Marines on both coasts are testing potential changes to the service's fitness programs — and the Corps' top general has a message about the review: Don’t expect things to get any easier.

Gen. Robert Neller ordered a full review of the Marine Corps' fitness standards in November. A driving issue is the fact that many muscular Marines who pass the physical fitness tests and have low body fat also exceed height and weight limits.

This is becoming increasingly common for females Marines, who have bulked up in preparation for pullups, he told Marine Corps Times in a recent interview.

“If you are of a certain size, you are advantaged. If you are small, you are disadvantaged. So let us take a look at it,” Neller said.

The results could include a host of changes, he said, including the events on the physical and combat fitness tests, the time Marines are allowed to recover between those events, the Corps' height and weight standards, and how best to measure body fat.

Marines are big, he said — some are even "monsters."

"And I want them to stay," he added. "Nobody likes to get taped or all that stuff, so what are we going to do? Is the test right? Should we do something else?"

The fitness review is being led by Training and Education Command, which is running some tests on the East and West coasts now as part of the process. The review will determine proper gender- and age-based scoring standards, and refine height/weight and body fat standards. Everything is on the table, from exercise events and scoring tables to class cut-offs.

While the specifics are still in the works, initial field tests will take a deeper look at male pullups, female flexed arm hang, crunches, and ammo lifts “to better understand Marines' full capacities,” said 1st Lt. Matt Rojo, a TECOM spokesman.

The review is likely to end the battle between pullups and flexed arm hangs for female Marines. Pullups were expected to become mandatory for female Marines in 2014, but the change was postponed for further review. Women can currently do pullups or the flexed arm hang as part of their PFT.

Neller said he has "all sorts of ideas" for where Marine fitness could be headed, but he wants TECOM to present the findings so they can come up with the best course of action.

"I certainly do not think it is going to get any easier,” the commandant said.

TECOM's review is supported by research agencies and the sports medicine community. The Marine Corps has drawn from peer-reviewed studies, and lessons learned from sister services, allied services, and law enforcement, Rojo said. TECOM’s recommendations are due to the commandant no later than July 1.

“This review will ensure our standards remain relevant, challenging, and mutually supportive toward keeping Marines fit and ready to respond to any contingency, in any clime and place,” said Sgt. Maj. Justin LeHew, TECOM’s top enlisted Marine. “We will harness and develop any great ideas and best practices found during this review and utilize that in building the tactical athlete of the future to enhance our warfighting capacity and lethality on the battlefield.”

USMC 2571
01-23-16, 11:11 AM
Change change change. Change is ALWAYS good

Tennessee Top
01-23-16, 01:10 PM
I don't care what the CMC says. Any new requirements will be gender-neutral. The SECDEF and SECNAV will see to it. If this CMC has learned anything yet - it must be that!

Hammer
01-23-16, 02:13 PM
Change change change. Change is ALWAYS good

Not necessarily! I figured this was coming. It's nothing but a back door approach to lowering standards in order to create gender neutrality.

USMC 2571
01-23-16, 03:20 PM
I was being sarcastic. I hate change for the sake of change.

Phantom Blooper
01-23-16, 04:00 PM
You BIG brutes.........how many flexed arm hangs can you do?

USMC 2571
01-23-16, 04:16 PM
Less than one, Chuck

Hammer
01-23-16, 06:21 PM
Bloop; I don't even know what a flexed arm hang is, so I'll say NONE as well.; maybe all this changey change crap will level the playing field.I still want to see co-ed heads and showers; then I'll know that this isn't nothing but political bull****.

Phantom Blooper
01-23-16, 06:25 PM
Bloop; I don't even know what a flexed arm hang is, so I'll say NONE as well

Mitch that is what Women Marines do in loo of pull ups for a PFT...hang off bar for many minutes........

USMC 2571
01-23-16, 07:04 PM
Lol

Hammer
01-23-16, 07:59 PM
Mitch that is what Women Marines do in loo of pull ups for a PFT...hang off bar for many minutes........

I've seen a lot of pole dancers do that in a bar.

Tennessee Top
01-23-16, 09:40 PM
^^^is that a Polish joke? lol

LCPL1341
01-23-16, 10:23 PM
Good. The flexed arm hang needs to go. The taping system is also due for a major overhaul; it's outdated and inaccurate. My max is 186, but I seem to stay at around 183-184. I always get told I'm "borderline" by the S3 Staff who I could smoke check despite running a 290 on the PFT and looking great in uniform. That nonsense needs to go away. As far as PFT scoring goes, I personally feel 1st class requirements should be increased a bit. If you're even remotely "fit" you can manage a 225. Make it a 240 or something, just a bit more challenging.

josephd
01-24-16, 12:40 AM
Good. The flexed arm hang needs to go. The taping system is also due for a major overhaul; it's outdated and inaccurate. My max is 186, but I seem to stay at around 183-184. I always get told I'm "borderline" by the S3 Staff who I could smoke check despite running a 290 on the PFT and looking great in uniform. That nonsense needs to go away. As far as PFT scoring goes, I personally feel 1st class requirements should be increased a bit. If you're even remotely "fit" you can manage a 225. Make it a 240 or something, just a bit more challenging.

^^this^^

The PFT is a joke IMO, getting a perfect 300 is tough but I can get a first class without even breaking a sweat.

And yes the height/weight standards with the taping system is EXTREMELY flawed. I have a few Marines that run 290+ PFTs and CFTs yet they are considered "fat" by Marine Corps standards because they are above their weight range and don't make tape.(1 of which is a firefighter and semi-pro/part time MMA fighter)

Rocky C
01-24-16, 09:08 AM

It's very good exercise from what I hear lol ;)

Phantom Blooper
01-24-16, 09:28 AM
It's very good exercise from what I hear lol ;)

Damn......as many times since 2002 I have taken a thread south.....I will leave this quote alone since this is Open Forum...Damnnnnnnnnn!

SGT7477
01-24-16, 10:02 AM

Lmfao Brother, Semper Fidelis.