PDA

View Full Version : Marines' new tattoo policy will be more flexible, but won't allow sleeves.

Rocky C
01-22-16, 11:16 AM
Marines will have more flexibility under the service’s upcoming updates to its tattoo policy, but they still will not be allowed to get sleeve tattoos, said Commandant Gen. Robert Neller.

Neller said he hopes the updated tattoo policy will be released within 30 days. It will seek to consolidate existing tattoo guidance in one document and to clarify which tattoos are allowed.

“Having talked to them, I don’t think most Marines understand what the policy is,” Neller told Marine Corps Times on Wednesday. “I don’t think they understand what they can do. They just know they can’t get a sleeve.”

Marine Corps to update its tattoo policy after review

Marines still won’t be able to get sleeve tattoos — which typically cover the arm from shoulder to wrist — under the latest updates to the tattoo policy, but they will have some flexibility on what is an acceptable tattoo, said Neller, who declined to get into specifics of the changes until the updates are released.

“We’re actually going to try to provide pictures to clarify what we mean when we say ‘a quarter of a body part,’ or whatever it is,” he said.

The Army updated its tattoo policy in April, stripping limits on the size or number of tattoos soldiers can have. Leaders said the more lenient rules were based on input from soldiers.

"Society is changing its view of tattoos, and we have to change along with that," then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said at the time. "It makes sense. Soldiers have grown up in an era when tattoos are much more acceptable and we have to change along with that."

Neller was initially surprised at how often the topic of tattoos came up when he talked with Marines, he said. Most of the questions he has received have come from Marines who want to get a sleeve tattoo.

“I ask them why,” he said. “They go, ‘Because I want to memorialize a friend.’ I respect that. Marines don’t ask for much, so when you can, you want to give them something."

But the Marine Corps isn't "a rock and roll band," he added.

"We’re Marines," Neller said. "We have a brand. People expect a certain thing from us and right now, if you’re in PT uniform, you can be completely tatted up under your PT uniform. That’s not enough? You can still get certain size tattoos on your arms and your legs. How much do you want?”

Since he first started fielding questions on the Marine Corps’ tattoo policy, Neller has studied up on the issue, “So now I understand it pretty well,” he said.

The latest tattoo guidance will explain how getting tattoos will affect Marines’ chances of getting a special duty assignment and becoming warrant officers and commissioned officers, Neller said. The issue is bigger than the Marine Corps because local, state and federal law enforcement agencies that Marines may want to join have strict rules on what tattoos are permissible, he said.

While he knows that tattoos are an important issue for Marines, Neller wants he force to concentrate on its mission, he said.

“I’m trying to keep everybody focused on what’s important, which is getting ready to be trained and ready to go fight if we have to go fight,” Neller said.

MunkyVsRobot
01-22-16, 06:55 PM
I only partially understand the infatuation with tattoos in the Marines. Only because I own firearms and once you want one youll want another... That being said i still dont understand it i currently sit at an over all tattoo total of 0, i understand wanting to memorialize a friend or some moment but why a tattoo? A firearm you can defend yourself with, hunt, target practice it actually serves a purpose. A tattoo is just an image that is etched on your body for the rest of your life.

im not sure why i cant understand it but it just baffles my mind.

Tennessee Top
01-22-16, 07:03 PM
Didn't get my first, and only, tattoo (EGA) till I was a GySgt. Never felt the need for another one after that. It's high up on my left shoulder and can't be seen with a skivvy shirt on. I know it's there and that's all that counts.

Kegler300
01-22-16, 07:04 PM
An Arkansas teen said he was turned away from joining the Marines when he revealed he had a Confederate flag tattoo.

Anthony Bauswell, 18, has the rebel flag inked on his rib, with the words 'Southern Pride' emblazoned underneath.

Bauswell was in the process of enlisting at the Marine Corps Recruiting Center in Conway on Monday when the recruiter said it made him ineligible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412099/Arkansas-teen-turned-away-Marines-Confederate-flag-tattoo.html

MunkyVsRobot
01-22-16, 07:04 PM
Im wondering if the only reason it is such an issue is because they were told they couldn't have it. You know how children want something more as soon as you tell them they cannot have it.

Big Boz
01-22-16, 08:00 PM
A tattoo is forever in most cases. I got my daughter's name on my upper left arm a week after she was born. I haven't really wanted to get another until my son made it through boot camp. Now I keep thinking of getting one with his name, but I am probably too sensible with my $ these days.

Kegler300
01-22-16, 08:05 PM
I don't have any tats, but if the Panthers win the Super Bowl, I might consider a Panthers Super Bowl tat ...

USMC 2571
01-22-16, 08:19 PM
May as well get a New England Patriots one now Rich

Tennessee Top
01-22-16, 09:35 PM
Let's wait and see what Peyton Manning has to say about it!:banana:

josephd
01-23-16, 12:39 AM
I think the issue (partially) stems from the old school logic/policy where Marines got all tatted up and then the junior Marines followed suit. Sub-consciously the kids that are joining now, they grew up seeing Marines of my generation OIF/OEF vets with tattoos, and want the same as what they saw.

And yes Munky, I definitely think it is one of those "I want it more because you say I can't" type things.

Most people don't peg me as the "tattoo type" as I am pretty clean cut, but I love the damn things. I have 7 total right now, only part of 2 you can see on my left arm in PT gear or desert utilities with sleeves rolled. I understand the want to loosen up the policy as I will admit if it allowed a "sleeve" I would go get one.

Mongoose
01-23-16, 07:03 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Dallas Cowboy tattoo on the bottom of my foot! I had six tattoos when I went in the Corps, I now have 34 tats.

irpat54
01-23-16, 07:21 AM
I never had the desire to get one, myself,, I don't see the problem with the tats though,, and when all of these regs. came out as to what you can and can't have, I thought that was getting to darn PC,,

USMC 2571
01-23-16, 08:08 AM
What isn't PC nowadays Pat?

Rocky C
01-23-16, 08:10 AM
I have 72 Tattoos all total. I got 9 or 10 in the Corps. There was no problem back then. I even had one on the web of my hand. All mine are done in bamboo. Look like they were done last week and will continue to look like that forever. Oh well, not that I'm promoting them but in the business all my adult life....

Artwork at it's finest :)

Carry on....

Hammer
01-23-16, 08:38 AM
I don't have any tats either Pat. I have been close to having them several times; even to the point that I had my arm shaved, and the stencil put on for an EGA on my left arm, however I didn't go through with it; close but no cigar! I'm not opposed to tats however.

I've read and researched the Marine Corps current policy on tat's, and some of the proposed changes; however; the word "proposed" is, exactly that "proposed". It's not etched in stone, but will be soon. We'll have to wait and see..

MunkyVsRobot
01-23-16, 08:50 AM
not opposed to tattoos either, but some people are making a huge deal over it. I would agree that both sides are being a bit excessive about it maybe Amos wasnt the person to make the changes. The way i see it if you want to blow your money and get 150,000 tattoos go for it as long as it doesnt hinder operations.

But the Marine Corps also wants to keep this new image instead of just being tatted all over they are going to define the scope of what you can and cannot get. its unfortunate but the day everyone rose their right hand they agreed to take everything that came along with it up to and including draconian rules about tattoos.

Hammer
01-23-16, 08:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Dallas Cowboy tattoo on the bottom of my foot! I had six tattoos when I went in the Corps, I now have 34 tats.

But Billy that's understandable; you was the tat man for the state fair!

Phantom Blooper
01-23-16, 10:01 AM
May as well get a New England Patriots one now Rich

I don't advocate deflated balls as a tat.....just wouldn't look right.....

Mongoose
01-24-16, 07:27 AM
Bloop....I heard the new emblem on the Patriots helmet was going to be that of a wrinkled up flat football. Anyway, that's what Rocky said.

Rocky C
01-24-16, 08:52 AM
Hahahahahaha !!!

SGT7477
01-24-16, 10:06 AM
I have 72 Tattoos all total. I got 9 or 10 in the Corps. There was no problem back then. I even had one on the web of my hand. All mine are done in bamboo. Look like they were done last week and will continue to look like that forever. Oh well, not that I'm promoting them but in the business all my adult life....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29490&stc=1

Artwork at it's finest :)

Carry on....

Yup the way it is, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
01-24-16, 06:03 PM
You know what I'm talking about Ronnie :) :thumbup:

Semper Fidelis !!!!

Gunner 0313
01-24-16, 08:20 PM
I got Cpl. Chevrons tattooed on my cack so I could pull rank in my fighting hole.

Rocky C
01-25-16, 07:39 AM
Hahahahahahaahha...

Baker1971
01-27-16, 02:04 PM
As long as they can do there job does it really matter ?

silverdollar
01-28-16, 09:09 AM
I got Cpl. Chevrons tattooed on my cack so I could pull rank in my fighting hole.

Lucky you weren`t a SGT. not enough room?

SGT7477
01-28-16, 09:23 AM
Lucky you weren`t a SGT. not enough room?

Lmfao, Semper Fidelis.