PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon: 10 U.S. sailors taken into Iranian custody to be returned

Rocky C
01-12-16, 05:16 PM
Ten sailors and two boats were taken into Iranian custody Tuesday after their patrol boats drifted into Iranian-claimed waters, according to two defense officials.

The riverine sailors are believed to have drifted into Iranian territory after having mechanical issues with their boats. The defense officials said Secretary of State John Kerry got immediately involved and Iran has agreed to turn the sailors and vessels over, though they have not been turned over as of 4 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

"Earlier today, noonish East Coast, we lost contact with two small U.S. naval craft en route from Kuwait to Bahrain," said a defense official, who, like others, asked for anonymity to discuss ongoing negotiations. "We subsequently have been in communication with Iranian authorities, who have informed us of the safety and well-being of our personnel. We have received assurances the sailors will promptly be allowed to continue their journey."

Fleet officials lost contact with the riverine boats in the vicinity of Farsi Island, an Iranian island in the north Persian Gulf. A U.S. official said it’s believed they drifted into the 12-mile zone near the island while in transit. The island is believed to be a base for the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“We found out that the Iranians may actually have them so we initiated state-to-state contact,” said another defense official.

It is unclear whether the Iranian forces boarded the U.S. boats or confronted the sailors.

Expert: Iran likely to seek more confrontations in 2016 with U.S. Navy

Officials at 5th Fleet headquarters in Bahrain did not immediately respond to requests for comment. An official at U.S. Central Command referred questions to the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told The Associated Press that the boats were moving between Kuwait and Bahrain when the U.S. lost contact with them. The situation began to unfold during the evening in the Persian Gulf, according to a defense official. The Truman Carrier Strike Group launched a search and rescue effort and is still in the vicinity.

The New York Times reported that Iran’s Fars news agency said the riverine boats traveled more than mile into Iranian territorial waters and that the Revolutionary Guard Corps seized some GPS gear to show the ships had been “snooping.”

The situation is reminiscent of a 2007 incident when 15 British sailors were captured by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and held for two weeks.

The Iranian seizure is the latest flare-up in an increasingly tense relationship. Two weeks ago, U.S. officials blamed patrol boats with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps for firing rockets in the vicinity of the Truman Carrier Strike Group, which was then passing through the Strait of Hormuz. Those officials labeled it a “dangerous” and “unprofessional” stunt.

Some experts have cautioned that Iran’s elite paramilitary forces are likely to continue to seek provocations with the West, even as Iran enters into a nuclear agreement.

Tennessee Top
01-12-16, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a Hollywood war movie script. Two patrol boats have mechanical issues resulting in loss of power (along with communications) all of a sudden at the same time - resulting in them drifting into Iranian territory just days before nuclear sanctions are to be lifted.

Either our Navy is even more incompetent than I thought, or there is more to this story than we are being told. Wonder what the Iranians believe?

irpat54
01-13-16, 06:17 AM
they were released this morning according to the news,,, but I agree Top,, it sounds fishy to me as well..

Mongoose
01-13-16, 07:27 AM
Say it ain't so......the Iranian Government wouldn't possibly slap the U.S. in the face.

Rocky C
01-13-16, 07:52 AM
Hahahahaha.

2 Marine Mom
01-14-16, 12:51 AM
Are you kidding me, they sure would, and have a good time thumbing their, noses, at the pres. as they do it. When is there gonna be some back bone? not that I want us into a real full blown war. I am sure glad, the sailors, were returned. and there wasn't much said about the rockets fired toward the carriers, obviously! This is the first Id heard of it! go figure?

Gary W
01-14-16, 06:10 AM
If this incident is not a wake up call to all the Americans who have not been paying attention to our countries misguided dealings with Iran, I have no idea what would do it.
The U.S. policy of "backing out" of the rest of the world is letting them continue their nuclear program, giving them back billions to invest in terror around the world, and now "thanking them" for giving us back our sailors will only make things worse for Americans and other freedom loving people around the world. It's scary!!!
GaryW

irpat54
01-14-16, 06:27 AM
and how can engine trouble be a mistake by our sailors??? I don't get that at all.. and then to hear Biden,, what a joke everything he said that was not done to our people, was done, and to make our woman Sailor to cover her head?? outrageous..
IMO time to bring out a Battle ship our of mothballs and sail up the slot and do some damage to Iran's only oil refinery...

maybe that would send a message..
but our pussy President won't do a thing..

Rocky C
01-14-16, 06:56 AM
It's getting very scary.......

Old Marine
01-14-16, 09:29 AM
Cool heads prevail and today we are not at war with Iran. Our Navy boys got caught with their pants down is the bottom line. Those boats seemed to be running fine when they were released. Surley they could have made up a better story than trouble with the crafts they were on. Both boats had problems. Huh.

2 Marine Mom
01-15-16, 01:27 AM
that is kind of Odd, isn't it?? i'm sure glad, the gang got turned loose, being a mom. of a new marine, hearing that kind of stuff, is unnerving. I also have a niece, in the navy, active. one scary issue. Time for everyone to wake up. Planning on going to see 13 hours, when it comes out here, trying to get my other marine, to go with me, just in case, I don't handle it well. Something everyone should see, before they go vote. they are saying.