PDA

View Full Version : Medals Policy Overhaul Includes New 'C' Device For Combat.

Rocky C
01-08-16, 09:08 AM
The Pentagon is fundamentally changing the way it recognizes service in a combat zone by tightening the criteria for awarding the Bronze Star and creating a new “C” device that can be pinned to other traditionally noncombat awards.

The changes stem from a two-year internal Pentagon review aimed at modernizing the military medals and awards system; the final report includes 37 recommended changes made public Wednesday.

“Recognizing valor should be the pre-eminent thing that we do in the Department of Defense … and we weren’t doing that,” said one defense official familiar with the review who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Defense Department will create a “C” device to denote an award was earned in a combat setting. It will be the same size and design of the current “V” device denoting valor and may be affixed to noncombat performance awards such as commendation or achievement medals.

Under the new rules, all "V" devices will be recognition for a specific act of valor in a specific situation, while the "C" will denote that other awards were received for high performance over time in a combat environment.

The Pentagon also will create a forcewide definition of “meritorious service in combat,” which will apply to both the “C” device for combat distinction and also affect the criteria for a Bronze Star, which by definition is a combat medal.

“We’re ensuring that the Bronze Star goes out to those who are incurring the risk of combat or actually have a significant risk of hostile action,” the defense official said.

Medal policy on the Bronze Star has been criticized for years as ambiguous. In some cases, the medal is affixed with a “V” for valor and reflects courageous and potentially life-saving acts of bravery under fire. Yet in other cases, it is awarded for “meritorious service” that could be, essentially, a desk job in a deployed setting.

In the 1990s, some service members with peripheral duties related to operations in Kosovo received Bronze Stars without ever leaving the U.S.

The policy change announced this week requires that all future Bronze Stars meet the new and tighter definition of combat. The final wording on the policy has not been finalized, and when it is, its interpretation will remain up to the individual services.

“If people were complaining that Bronze Stars are given out for things that aren’t necessarily worthy of it because they’re not in combat, I think we are addressing that by applying a decision that says the Bronze Star will only be awarded under combat conditions,” the defense official said.

For example, meritorious service in a deployed environment that might have previously warranted a Bronze Star might instead earn a Meritorious Service Medal if commanders determine that the individual faced few risks of actual combat, an official said.

The standard for combat will be the same for Bronze Stars as well as for the “C” combat distinguishing device, which means there will be no circumstances under which a service member would receive a Bronze Star with a “C.”

Exceptional valor will continue to be recognized by the existing “V” device, the criteria for which also will be clarified under the new policy.

For years, the services have had slightly different definitions for the Bronze Star and the “V” device.

“In the Army, the 'V' meant valor — so the 'V' device was only conferred if a person had done something valorous in combat,” the defense official said. “And the perception when someone looks at that is that the member did something valorous in combat, but that was not always the case for the Department of the Navy.”

In the Navy and Marine Corps, the “V” was defined as a combat distinguishing device, so in addition to being awarded for valorous acts, it also could be conferred for meritorious service considered above and beyond in direct combat, but not necessarily of a "valorous" nature.

The official said that has led to the ambiguity in the Navy-Marine Corps definition of what that “V” stood for.

Mongoose
01-09-16, 08:09 AM
We all seen this coming......didn't we?? America is a PC Country now. Everyone gets a trophy. PH for getting your head banged. Also, I thought the CAR was enough to signify that someone was in direct combat. Now they want to decorate you with a medal of valor for just being there. We bare turning into candy asses. Today, you have to show respect to the very enemy that is trying to kill you. You can get a court-martial for firing on your enemy before they fire at you. You can go to prison for defending yourself and your brothers. You can be run through the coals for stopping the rape of children, if their culture says it's their way of culture. In other words, we are turning into a bunch of spineless, giggling pantie waist puppets.

Rocky C
01-09-16, 08:18 AM
You got that right Billy !!!

Where does it end Brother ?

USMC 2571
01-09-16, 08:20 AM
There's a new one coming out for just being here on Leatherneck, one for valor in the face of hostile posts, and one plain ole one just for posting. But they look very impressive on the dress blues we wear around the house while posting.

Rocky C
01-09-16, 08:35 AM
Hahahahahaha, That was great !!!

USMC 2571
01-09-16, 08:36 AM
In my humble opinion, the reason for things like this is "change for the sake of change". This has been going on literally for decades. New and improved. Listen carefully as our options have changed.

Change for the sake of change is a state of mind that says the present way of doing things isn't good enough anymore. It lacks excitement. We're bored with the status quo, we need stimulation, change, doing everything differently.

That sickness, in my opinion, is responsible for 95% of the senseless changes going on across the board, not just in the Corps but in society. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. But this is not just a small issue, it permeates our entire society.

The present is just not good enough. The way things were done in 2010 or in 2014 were fine, for their time. But let's keep changing things that work just fine. Just because we can.

Rocky C
01-09-16, 10:16 AM
All I know is that I'm going to start wearing my Eagle Scout medal on my Dress Blues !!!

USMC 2571
01-09-16, 10:18 AM
I commend you for that. Now all we need is to add a V for Valor and we're in tune with the doings of 2016.

Rocky C
01-09-16, 10:25 AM
Thanks Dave, That was great !!!

fl1946
01-09-16, 03:26 PM
Dave. Great comment! PC all started when educators decided to pass all kindergarteners.

USMC 2571
01-09-16, 03:40 PM
That's right, Frank, pushed them right into first grade. LOL

Rocky C
01-09-16, 06:25 PM
LOL, Hi Frank !!!

fl1946
01-10-16, 01:40 PM
Howdy Rocky -- happy New Year to you and Dave out yonder. If all this foreshadows the rest of 2016, we're in deep do-do.

Semper fi, Do or Die

USMC 2571
01-10-16, 01:48 PM
We've been there for years, Frank----Happy New Year to you, also!!!!!

Rocky C
01-11-16, 08:09 AM
Happy New Year Frank !

silveradomick
01-11-16, 08:55 AM
I'm proud of the "V" device on my NAM because I know what it was awarded for, and that's all that really matters, right? I really don't see the problem with distinguishing achievements in combat from achievements in non-combat areas. Since the Bronze Star is handed out like candy to the Army and to officers in the Corps, having a "V" or a "C" device would at least allow people at a glance to know if such an award is valorous in nature, or just a dicksuck award for promotion purposes. Of course, that's what the "V" device is supposed to denote already, but I guess that's not clear enough for the DOD?

Rocky C
01-11-16, 09:53 AM
You got that right Justin !!!