PDA

View Full Version : Marine Security Guard

Lifter25
12-30-15, 01:20 PM
Hello gentlemen, I have asked all around Camp Lejune, and not many people seem to know the entire process of becoming a MSG. Does anyone here have a minute to walk me through the entire process? I am a 3521 Motor T mechanic waiting to graduate mos school here in North Carolina, but I want to do MSG more than anything I have wanted before. What is the pt like? I lift weights every day of the week except Thursday and I am pretty strong but still run a good 19:45 three Mile. Thanks again

Rocky C
12-30-15, 02:02 PM
You can send a private Message to Tennessee Top.

He is the authority on the subject for sure !

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?82284-Tennessee-Top

USMC 2571
12-30-15, 02:23 PM
If Top doesn't know the answer(s) to this one, there aren't any answers!

Lifter25
12-30-15, 02:58 PM
Thank you

Kegler300
12-30-15, 04:17 PM
Talk to your Career Planner. The MSG screening team is coming to Camp Lejeune in February.

Kegler300
12-30-15, 04:22 PM
Make that 25-28 January 2016 ...

R 181333Z DEC 15
MARADMIN 637/15
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/MARINES DIRECTED TO COMPLETE ELIGIBILITY SCREENING FOR MARINE SECURITY GUARD SCHOOL//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MARADMIN 056/15//
AMPN/REF A IS SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT (SDA) SELECTION AND SLATING PROCESS MARADMIN//
POC//R.R. FELICIANO/GYSGT/MSG MONITOR, HQMC/DSN 378-9476/ COMM: 703-432-9476/EMAIL: RICARDO.FELICIANO(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Background: Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) Recruiting, Advertising, Screening Team (RAST) and MMEA-25 (SDA monitor section) will be conducting a series of installation visits in order to identify highly qualified Marines to serve as a Marine Security Guard (MSG) Watchstanders. During these visits, the MCESG team will conduct briefs and screen Marines for assignment to MSG classes in FY16.
2. MMEA-25, in coordination with the PMOS monitors, has identified Marines for screening and potential assignment to MSG classes during FY16. The detailed list will be distributed to career planners.
3. All Marines listed are directed to immediately initiate and complete MSG Phase 1 screenings. All Phase 1 screenings will consist of the following: the Commanding Officer's screening/interview - MSG duty checklist and financial worksheet, security clearance letter and tattoo screening request (if applicable). Marines who are not listed to be screened but who wish to volunteer for the MSG program may also complete the Phase 1 screening and report to designated venues to be screened by the RAST.
4. The current dates for briefs/screenings aboard the following bases and stations are detailed below. Dates are subject to change and detailed information with specific locations will be disseminated via unit career planners through the Total Force Retention System (TFRS). Screening visits by the RAST will occur simultaneously on both the east and west coast:
Camp Lejeune, NC 25 - 28 January 2016
MCAS Cherry Point, NC 29 January 2016
MCAS Miramar 25 January 2016
MCB Camp Pendleton 26 – 28 January 2016
MCAGCC 29 Palms 29 January 2016
5. All Marines identified will have their completed Phase 1 screening package in their possession and be in the Service "C" uniform for their brief/screenings.
6. After successfully completing screening, Marines who volunteer for the MSG program will be immediately issued a draw case code and issued permanent change of station orders to MSG school. A number of Marines who are qualified but do not volunteer will be direct assigned to the MSG program based on the program’s needs.
7. Marines who are unable to be screened in person are required to submit Phase 1 screening in TFRS no later than 22 January 2016 via their unit Career Planners. Those Marines will be telephonically interviewed by the RAST. Confirmed and reliable points of contact/phone numbers are required within the TFRS package.
8. Marines (E-5 only) with dependents are now authorized to volunteer for MSG duty for assignment to the Marine Security Guard Security Augmentation Unit (MSAU). This will be a 36 month tour aboard Quantico, VA. Current requirements for all MSGs will still be applicable aside from having dependents. Those Marines wishing to volunteer for assignment to MSAU are to be present at the above locations and times or may submit a package via TFRS through their career planner. While MSAU is based in Quantico, Marines assigned to MSAU can expect numerous, short duration (45 days) TAD deployments to augment security at embassies and consulates when needed.
9. Release authorized by MajGen Craig Q. Timberlake, Director, Manpower Management Division.//

Tennessee Top
12-30-15, 05:32 PM
^^^this.

Plus, visit their website at www.mcesg.marines.mil (http://www.mcesg.marines.mil) and click on the "become a MSG" tab for eligibility requirements. The Department of State keeps asking for more bodies (as a result of the commission on Benghazi and the security situation continues to rise at so many posts) so the eligibility criteria keeps changing. The latest change is allowing Sgts on the MSAU to be married.

As bad as they need MSG's now, they are still not taking boot Marines yet. They want you to mature and be able to show the screening team you can be depended on and have integrity. Like Kegler300 said, your Career Planner knows the application process - that's who you need to be talking to nobody else. Don't be surprised when they tell you to come back after you pick up LCpl.

As far as PT. The formal school is not a PT academy (they expect you to show up in shape already). You will run an inventory PFT when you get there. As long as you make a 1st class score you will be good-to-go. They are not looking for weightlifters or PT studs. 1st class PFT is what they're looking for. There are some posts overseas where PT is limited because of the threat situation (not safe to run anywhere).

USMC 2571
12-30-15, 05:33 PM
Good information from two of the most helpful people on this site. Tenn Top and Kegler.

Rocky C
12-30-15, 06:17 PM
Thank you Marines !!!

Tennessee Top
12-30-15, 07:26 PM
One quick point I should've highlighted. Another reason they are not interested in boot Marines is because boot Marines don't have a Secret security clearance (which one must possess in order to apply). That Secret security clearance must be able to be turned into a Top Secret security clearance in order to graduate from the formal school.

Don't know how easy or difficult it would be for a Motor T mechanic to attain a Secret security clearance (their S2 would need to be willing to initiate the process).

Kegler300
12-30-15, 07:44 PM
All Marines who are citizens are now required to attain a secret security clearance. Non-citizens have to Naturalize to obtain a secret clearance to be able to reenlist.

Tennessee Top
12-30-15, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that update. Seems like overkill to me. See no reason for truck mechanics, cooks, etc to have security clearances. They do not have a "need to know" nor access to classified information to do their jobs. I'm obviously missing something here.

Kegler300
12-31-15, 06:02 AM
All part of the vetting process, plus if you have access to IT systems that contain information protected by the Privacy Act, you have to have a favorably adjudicated secret level background investigation.

Rocky C
12-31-15, 08:45 AM
And there you have it OP and everyone else that asks in the future or just the need to know..

Outstanding !!!

Lifter25
12-31-15, 09:31 AM
Thank you that answered my questions.