PDA

View Full Version : USMC Infantry vet joining French Foreign Legion

Matt225808
11-27-15, 05:41 PM
I'm considering joining, I'm nearly 2 years removed from the Corps and I miss it but want something new and the Legion was the other option back when I was deciding which to do. Any of yall ever work with any Legion guys and can school be up on the differences between our infantry and theirs?

Tennessee Top
11-27-15, 07:14 PM
Read the similar threads below your post.

josephd
11-27-15, 07:51 PM
the only thing about the FFL that doesn't interest me is the fact that you have to say goodbye to your friends, family, your life, even your own existence while serving with them

USMC 2571
11-27-15, 07:57 PM
Yes, Joe, a harsh life indeed. For anyone interested, including the OP:

Legionnaire-5 years in French Foreign Legion--Simon Murray.....good book
Legion of the Lost--American in FFL--Jaime Salazar---another good book
FFL Complete History--Douglas Porch
Life in FFL--How to Join--Evan McGorman

USMC 2571
11-27-15, 08:00 PM
That Simon Murray book---he became a big wheel in England, high finance stuff, very affluent, but he went into the Legion around the time I went into the Corps, and comparing the two, the FFL was ten times more brutal than Parris Island. I was amazed. Read that book if you get the chance. I thought nothing could ever compare with PI, but the FFL certainly did, at least years ago.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/
An unofficial site but very informative.

http://en.legion-etrangere.com/
The official site, not for the OP, he already knows about this, but for members reading this thread.

http://xpatnation.co/things-you-dont-know-about-the-french-foreign-legion/#.s84m91E0C
Perhaps the most interesting information of all

Matt225808
11-27-15, 11:52 PM
Yeah it's a harsh life, but to me (and Id assume to most infantrymen who enjoy what they do) the idea of it motivates me like a little high school boy who saw the Marine in his dress blues slay that dragon. I just feel ill regret it later in life so I'm about 80% sure I'm joining. I'd just like to prepare as best I can so im looking for opinions from legion vets and Marines who've served with them

Matt225808
11-27-15, 11:56 PM
I've never heard of a U.S. Marine joining. I've read about Royal Marines and Army officers. But not a USMC grunt

USMC 2571
11-28-15, 06:59 AM
Good post, number 6. I hope you don't mind the background of the FFL posts I made, I almost checked with you first to see if you didn't want all that on there, as it is your thread, and I was providing background FFL info for the readership here, in case they are interested.....I doubt you'll get responses that are exactly on point, i.e. that someone joined or knew someone who joined the FFL, but at least it's an interesting topic. I for one would like to hear about your steps taken toward joining, maybe right here on this same thread, just resurrect it as it falls, as all threads eventually do, to the bottom of the pile. It'll still be here, but in the archives, so to speak----good luck with this, and feel free to post here anytime whether or not you get specific responses---I find the FFL interesting and have read two of the four books cited. To me, the FFL is another world entirely, and maybe that's part of the appeal of it. Something very different from what we know and have gotten used to. An adventure in a time where few things are really new.

USMC 2571
11-28-15, 07:02 AM
(I'll try to get contact info for you re a guy in Canada who was a legionnaire, and was on a big FFL forum that I joined as a guest, some time ago.)

---------------------------

Done. I'll give you his email and info as soon as he gets back to me. This will give you an inside contact, at least. A lot better than websites and books.

Rocky C
11-28-15, 08:40 AM
Good luck with that Matt. I knew a former Legionnaire. That ain't no calk walk Brother.

Nuff said from me...

Matt225808
11-28-15, 01:35 PM
I appreciate it guys, I'll most likely get back into PT shape over the next 6 months and maybe head to Paris next summer. Maybe I'll write a book and once and for all be able to compare it to our beloved Corps

Rocky C
11-28-15, 06:07 PM
I'll buy it Matt.

USMC 2571
11-29-15, 08:21 AM
Matt, I now have the info, am sending it via PM right now. Good luck.

Matt225808
11-29-15, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty excited to hear back from him. I emailed him, I think deep down most Marines are curious about the Legion.

USMC 2571
11-29-15, 08:38 PM
Not even DEEP down. LOL----it's an interesting organization, and kind of mysterious, and according to articles I've read, even the French don't know much about the Legion.

Matt225808
11-29-15, 09:00 PM
Trust me the last year of my life I've been desperately researching them. I'm finally fed up with it and facing the facts that I have to try and join

McT ontheRock71
11-30-15, 10:02 AM
parlez-vous francaise?

Rocky C
11-30-15, 11:37 AM
I know a lot about it from my friend.
Watch your 6 Brother.
They come from all walks of life from all over the world.
The #1 ethnic group in the FFL is Russian.

Matt225808
11-30-15, 01:53 PM
parlez-vous francaise?

I used common sense to figure out what you were asking. No, hardly any. Most people don't speak French and learn during their time in the Legion (from what I've read). I've been all over the world with the Corps and based on my experiences in different countries I think I'll pick it up pretty quickly.

Matt225808
11-30-15, 01:54 PM
Yeah Rocky, everything I've been told suggests as an American I'll be pretty alone over there. I'll most likely stick with some Britts and make good friends while I'm basic. They call it "La Mafia Anglaise" the English mafia or something. I'm not too worried about fighting, happens in the Marines and I'm sure it'll happen in the Legion

McT ontheRock71
12-01-15, 02:31 PM
If you get the chance, watch a you-tube video during a Bastile Day parade. They put the Legion last in line because they march to a slower meter than everyone else. They also put the Sappers out front where they belong.

Matt225808
12-01-15, 04:26 PM
Oh I know about Bastile day, I'd be an idiot to join just to strut around wearing The Kepi le blanc for some French tang but I'd be a liar if I said I won't be in Paris doing just that if I get the opportunity haha

USMC 2571
12-01-15, 04:46 PM
lol, if that was all there was to it, getting the Kepi and parading, you could do that at home or in your backyard.......

Matt225808
12-01-15, 05:02 PM
I feel like the Marine Corps dress deltas are probably the most panty dropping uniform of any military in the world. Although I was never into wearing uniforms unless forced to for inspection or it was the uniform of the day

oldtop
12-02-15, 03:52 PM
I'd invest in The Rosetta Stone for French, if I were you, and really serious about this, just to NOT give your instructors ANY excuse to inflict "additional punishment" on you.... most Europeans seem to have 2 or more languages, French being one of the more popular next to English..... It also seems that the French don't appear to care for Americans very much, so "no excuses" might be a good motto for you...

USMC 2571
12-02-15, 04:18 PM
Good point, Top, although they don't require a knowledge of French, they in fact would be impressed that an American took the time to learn at least the basics.

Matt225808
12-02-15, 04:56 PM
I started readin up on the basics...apparently the English speaking people learn faster than Eastern European because french is similar to English and so different from Slavic language

Eric Hood
12-06-15, 07:42 AM
Good Luck!! It's really hard to be accepted. They can pick and choose. Former experience in the military is a plus. Being a Marine, you will be a very strong candidate.

Eric Hood
12-06-15, 07:51 AM
Yes, good advice. The price went down to about 200 bucks for the whole course.