PDA

View Full Version : This Day in 1963 JFK was Assassinated

USMC 2571
11-22-15, 12:24 PM
It was November 22, 1963 and everyone above a certain age remembers exactly what they were doing.

I was on the parade deck, 3 weeks into boot camp at PI

USMC 2571
11-22-15, 12:34 PM
We were doing the usual close order drill and our DIs halted us, told us what had happened in Dallas, marched us back to the barracks, put on the radio for about twenty minutes of news about it, then back to the drill field with no further mention of JFK the rest of the day and the rest of the time in boot camp.

FoxtrotOscar
11-22-15, 01:01 PM
We were just getting back on the bus from our 1 hour of Gym at the pool, that's correct I had a school that had a pool and black/white tv's in some classrooms during that year..

We went back to school and continued to watch it unfold on the tv until class was let out...

FistFu68
11-22-15, 01:14 PM
Jr HS 4 me had me Very Sad & Mad :cry: :mad:

irpat54
11-22-15, 01:43 PM
I was in school and the teacher was call out of class and when she came back she had told us that JFK was shot,,..

the Democratic party died with JFK..

Rocky C
11-22-15, 02:48 PM
I was in Kindergartin. I didn't know what that meant, the word death, killed, assassinated. I will never forget that day, the day I lost my innocence to such a violent world. I never knew anyone who died before that.

I think about that day often....

Hammer
11-22-15, 03:34 PM
I was at Camp Geiger in ITR. The Company Commander addressed the Company of the death. For the rest of the day we listened to the radio about what transpired.

Zulu 36
11-22-15, 03:53 PM
I was in 5th grade in a Catholic school, religion class. The parish Monsignor was talking to my class when the assassination was announced over the school PA. The priest looked like he was going to pass out. Turned out he had been a junior priest at the Kennedy family's parish years before and knew JFK. We had a short prayer and the Monsignor bugged out. Mother Superior played the radio broadcast over the PA for about 30-minutes or so. The whole school ended up attending a memorial mass within a day or two.

Mongoose
11-22-15, 06:35 PM
I was in school. 10th grade. We skipped school the next Friday and went to Dallas 80 miles away. Went to the spot where Kennedy was shot. They had sprayed painted a white X on the pavement where the last shot hit him. Sad day.

OLE SARG
11-22-15, 09:05 PM
I was with the 7th Engineers at Camp Hansen in Okinawa when I heard the bad news. Sad day for the World.

SEMPER FI,

Old Marine
11-23-15, 09:39 AM
I was working in the 1st Marine Division Ordnance Office in building 14-B-10 at Camp Pendleton. A sad day indeed.

silverdollar
11-24-15, 05:22 AM
I was sleeping on the Presidents yacht, USS Sequoia AG23 at anacostia NAS.