PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Movies/Music Traditions

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:01 PM
Well, over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'll be settling down after the big meal to hack away at what feels like a metric ton of grading. As my carrot at the end of the stick, I've decided to reward myself with watching one of my favorite Christmas movies (Irving Berlin's White Christmas) once I reach a certain number of essays graded. Though it's my encouragement to push through, I watch it every year, along with a few other favorites/classics.

Are there any favorite movies, albums, songs, etc. you have a tradition of watching or listening to every year during the holiday season?

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:12 PM
"It's A Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart comes to mind immediately.

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:13 PM
Along with favorite Christmas carols on my ipod on a separate playlist.

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:16 PM
Outstanding thread, by the way.

irpat54
11-18-15, 09:24 PM
man I love white Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kay,, and the dance routine with Danny Kay and.... wow I can't remember her name,, anyway, at the restaurant, that was fantastic...

I like the scrooge movies as well,, I collect them, I have just about every one that was put out, even the animated ones,, I really do like those Christmas Carol movies..

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:30 PM
One of my favorite scenes, irpat54! Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen dancing to The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing. ​

irpat54
11-18-15, 09:32 PM
One of my favorite scenes, irpat54! Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen dancing to The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing. ​

ya THAT'S IT!!!!! Vera Ellen,, that was awesome, and when she did the tap dancing when they were at the Inn where their old Commanding General owned, to watch her toe go so fast,, that was outstanding..

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:34 PM
As for music, my family always plays the Andy Williams Christmas Album while we set up and decorate the tree, followed by The Carpenter's Christmas Portrait album. The Carpenters isn't required, but Andy Williams absolutely is.

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:38 PM
She's amazing in that movie, irpat, especially her dancing. For voice though, I prefer Rosemary Clooney, the other female lead. Everyone in the cast has an amazing set of pipes, but Rosemary and Bing are my top picks.

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:39 PM
Andy Williams is outstanding as a vocalist re Christmas songs, as is Johnny Mathis. Great thread.

irpat54
11-18-15, 09:40 PM
As for music, my family always plays the Andy Williams Christmas Album while we set up and decorate the tree, followed by The Carpenter's Christmas Portrait album. The Carpenters isn't required, but Andy Williams absolutely is.
the Carpenters are my favorite group,, She had one of the most easy listening voices..

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:46 PM
That's for sure. Karen Carpenter. Unique voice.

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:47 PM
On Christmas Day, football is always a viewing option, but we often put on the 24hr A Christmas Story marathon that's on AMC (I think). It starts at 12am on the 25th and runs on a loop all day. We turn it on in the background, especially in the kitchen while we women folk are whippin' up the good eats.

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 09:48 PM
By the time New Year's Day rolls around, people can recite every line word for word from A Christmas Story, from memory.

LitLover84
11-18-15, 09:55 PM
Haha. Yep! My family can pretty much do that any day of the year but especially so after having that on all day. :)

FoxtrotOscar
11-18-15, 10:00 PM
"It's A Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart comes to mind immediately.

The reason this movie is seen during the Holiday season so frequently is because they failed to "Copyright" the movie rights.. Thus, it's to play to anyone, no fees...

Capra won Golden Globe for Directer and A Technical Globe was won for the fake snow on scene...

USMC 2571
11-18-15, 10:01 PM
A very good movie, FO, that's for sure.

LitLover84
11-18-15, 10:34 PM
I didn't know that, Mike. Will tuck that away for future use. Might be just the thing needed to eek out a win in a game of Trivial Pursuit or the like. :)

LitLover84
11-19-15, 09:42 AM
Another "must watch" for my family is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's such a staple that we randomly quote it in every day conversation year round. I laugh 'til I cry every time we watch it.

Most of the time, we end up watching it on TV. We've done that so often, we kind of forgot how much gets censored out for TV viewing. We remembered right quick when the whole extended family watched the DVD version on Christmas Day several years back, with my grandparents (conservative minister/minister's wife). My sis, cousins, and I all started sharing panicked looks ("Oh, snap! We forgot!" "Abort, abort, abort!!") until we realized both g-parents were belly laughing along with the rest of us.

:angel:

Rocky C
11-19-15, 12:17 PM
For me it starts on Thanksgiving night. All alone watching " the Grinch that stole Christmas", warms my heart and then it's, National Lampoon's " Christmas Vacation "

Hahahahahaha at least once a week till Christmas eve when I watch " It's a Wonderful Life "......

Did I mention single and all alone ? hahahahahaha

Phantom Blooper
11-19-15, 03:30 PM
I don't like Christmas....

I like New Years Eve...

Where I can step outside....see my shadow and have 365 more days of bullshiat!

Then at 12:01...on January1st.....hopefully my balls will drop!

Oh! What a blessed season!

USMC 2571
11-19-15, 03:43 PM
And unlike the ball dropping in Times Square, I presume your rendition of it is in private. LOL

LitLover84
11-19-15, 06:06 PM
Let's hope so, or there's a good chance any flashing blue lights around Bloop's place won't be the party kind.

FoxtrotOscar
11-19-15, 06:07 PM
And unlike the ball dropping in Times Square, I presume your rendition of it is in private. LOL

Read carefully...-----

"Then at 12:01...on January1st.....hopefully my balls will drop!"

A wonderful Christmas thread gone to hell... lol

Rocky C
11-19-15, 06:25 PM
Mandi , you and Dave need to join avatar changers anonymous hahahaha, love it !

LitLover84
11-19-15, 06:27 PM
We've already batted around the idea. Dave's gonna be my sponsor.
:)

Rocky C
11-19-15, 06:27 PM
Fo, what happened to your great avatar ?

Sorry Mandi didn't mean to hijack your thread but I just noticed it.

LitLover84
11-19-15, 06:34 PM
Haha! No worries, Rocky. It wouldn't be Leatherneck.com if there weren't thread hijackings and various other shenanigans.

Rocky C
11-19-15, 06:38 PM
Hahahaha, you are so right lol !

BLOOP !

Rocky C
11-19-15, 06:44 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yQhALyAx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyl81o5OqNU

Tennessee Top
11-19-15, 07:24 PM
National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase also - now a holiday tradition here. Will watch it as many times as it's on TV.

Saw a Salvation Army bell ringer in front of our Krogers today. Gets earlier every year seems like.

LitLover84
11-19-15, 07:36 PM
The major soft rock station in the OKC metro area starts playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and doesn't go back to regular programming until 11:59pm Christmas Day. I normally listen to music on my phone via my car's stereo system during my commute, but I switch to listening to that station quite a bit between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Love it!

Rocky C
11-20-15, 07:30 AM
I saw one too Top already.

Another new avatar for Dave... Mandi ?

I'm... dreaming of a white Christmas, with every Christmas card I write.

Christmas in New England, I love it.....esp. now that I sold my house in March and live at a country club, hahahahahaha. I guess I'll have to shovel just for the exercise lol....

irpat54
11-20-15, 07:34 AM
not only do I like white Christmas,, the movie,, but also another holiday favorite is Holiday Inn..

LitLover84
11-20-15, 08:11 AM
Haha! No, Rocky. I'm good for now with my avatar. Perhaps, I should be the one sponsoring Dave? Mine fits well with my current situation as an instructor. I may ask Santa for a shirt that's the same theme. That way I don't have to pause in the middle of teaching. I can just point to the shirt and keep right on rollin'.

Other Christmas movie favorites include the stop action classics Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town. We watch Rudolph every year without fail.

USMC 2571
11-20-15, 08:27 AM
I cannot believe that I'm never satisfied with whatever avatar I use at any given moment. Not so with the profile photo, I never change that. With help from Avatars Anonymous, I can and will change (my avatar, that is).

LitLover84
11-21-15, 04:40 PM
Haha. So, it's "admit you have a problem. . .and enjoy it," Dave? At this point, if you kept the same avatar for more than a week or so, we'd think something was wrong. Always fun to see what the next one will be.

USMC 2571
11-21-15, 04:52 PM
I broke a record a few weeks ago, the same avatar stayed on for about two months, which was unheard of. Funny that the profile photo never changes. Oh well, something to talk about at my next meeting.

Phantom Blooper
11-21-15, 05:01 PM
Usually around the holiday season....allot of people abuse alcohol to just get through the season.

AA for drunks is an excellent place to find help.

There is another AA that has started since the advent of the Internet...

I strongly suggest Dave, dat' you look into Avatars Anonymous in da' Bean town area....

USMC 2571
11-21-15, 05:02 PM
I'm already going to meetings, Chuck.

Phantom Blooper
11-21-15, 05:10 PM
I can recommend....if you want help....and only you can truly say when your ready....an excellent mental institution on the east coast that take all insurances and 3 hots and a cot....just like your guarantee in the Corps.....

Think about it!

I am here for you Dave!

I truly worry about your mental health and well being!

Rocky C
11-21-15, 05:35 PM
Bloop !!!! hahahahaha. Dave said your a teacher Mandi ? What do you teach ? I know it's off topic but if you throw in the word " Christmas " somewhere I'll feel better about not hijacking the thread again, hahahahaha.

USMC 2571
11-21-15, 05:51 PM
Chuck, I don't know how to thank you. That's real considerate and thoughtful...and Rocky C, Mandi specifically gave us permission, in writing, to go ahead and hijack her threads, and just in case she forgot to give us permission, let me wish you a Merry Christmas a month early, Rocky, that will keep this thread legit. LOL

Rocky C
11-21-15, 05:54 PM
I love that Dave !!!! hahahahahahaha....

USMC 2571
11-21-15, 05:55 PM
I might be lying about her giving her permission, the more I think about it.

LitLover84
11-22-15, 10:10 AM
Hahahaha! Y'all are an absolute mess. I don't recall giving explicit written permission, though I didn't take issues with earlier topic detours, as LN.com is known for shenanigans and detours on the forum.
;)

Rocky, I'm in graduate school, and I teach college writing at my university. Never a dull moment working with freshmen. That's for sure.

Also, just got a nice mp3 instrumental jazz Christmas album on Amazon the other day. Good stuff. Now browsing for some of my favorite Country Christmas songs. Aaand, we're back on topic!

Rocky C
11-22-15, 10:18 AM
Morning Mandi, That's great ! hahahahaha, " And we're back on topic " I'm cruzing you tube today to make a compilation.

I'll have to watch my grammer, punctuation, etc, etc, lol.
You will be calling me out hahahahaha

USMC 2571
11-22-15, 10:25 AM
Well I SAID I might be lying LOL

LitLover84
11-22-15, 10:28 AM
You're safe from me, Rocky. That's my day job. I have zero desire to move it here.

Your full disclosure is noted/appreciated, Dave.

USMC 2571
11-22-15, 10:29 AM
Merry Christmas, Mandi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FistFu68
11-22-15, 03:24 PM
A lot of Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra played in both out homes as YoungUns Patties Mom was a Professional entertainer dancer & singer during WW11 & I ain't talkin Pole Dancing either lol she's 98 now lives in Oklahoma her home state so we gonna keep the tradition going & turn it UP Happy Thanksgiving Everybody Sempers

LitLover84
12-12-15, 01:30 PM
Wow. This musician redid "All I Want for Christmas" in a minor key (it's usually in a major key) and gives it a bit of a jagged edge. Different, but I like it! Merry Rockin' Christmas, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDACj0tkD-s