PDA

View Full Version : Prior service Marine seeking guidance for getting back into Active Duty.

Youngwarrior
11-13-15, 04:38 PM
Hello all, I am a Marine with 9 years of Active Duty service under my belt from 2004-2013. I've been out for 2 years and 30 days. I am feeling the pull to get back in and I'm looking at how to go about this...I would appreciate any advice you would have for me. My two big questions right now are:

1) Can I change my RE-3O to an RE-1A? I heard that you can appeal to a board to change your re-enlistment status after you've been out for a year, or you could try Reserves to get back on contract and give yourself better leverage to get into Active Duty.

2) I left as an E5 (I had to forfeit my promotion to E6 because of the RE-3O). If I have been out for 2 years will I be reduced to E4 if I get back in?

Thank you for your time.

Kegler300
11-13-15, 05:08 PM
Did you refuse to reenlist or extend for a deployment or assignment to a B Billet? Either way, you need CMC approval to reenlist. Get with the prior service recruiter at your nearest recruiting station.

Tennessee Top
11-13-15, 08:59 PM
The USMC is only interested in high school seniors (not prior service Marines). Cheaper labor. Because of force reductions, recruiters are pushing the reserve side and not the active duty side.

Finding a PSR is the easy part. Getting them to return your calls/emails will be a different story.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Youngwarrior
11-13-15, 09:01 PM
Yes. I chose to get out instead of extend for orders to be a recruiter. So my next step is to contact my prior service recruiter?

Youngwarrior
11-13-15, 09:07 PM
Tennessee Top, I felt that way with all the recruiters I've spoken with so far this 2nd time around. I spoke to a GySgt PSR in Knoxville who returned my call. He told me I could only go reserve at this point. I wanted to see what my options really were, and to check to make sure he wasn't lying to me, so that's why I wanted to check with this website. Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to give the Gunny a call again. I'll update this thread as I move through the process.

devilbones2
11-16-15, 07:59 AM
Tennessee Top, I felt that way with all the recruiters I've spoken with so far this 2nd time around. I spoke to a GySgt PSR in Knoxville who returned my call. He told me I could only go reserve at this point. I wanted to see what my options really were, and to check to make sure he wasn't lying to me, so that's why I wanted to check with this website. Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to give the Gunny a call again. I'll update this thread as I move through the process.

You are pretty much at their mercy. I have been trying to get into a reserve unit for 6+ years. I am in a critical MOS and according to the PSR they have never recruited a prior service into one of these billets. There are only 3 units in the country that have this MOS and I have lived in the geographic area for two of them in that time. The biggest hurdle for you will be to find a PSR that is willing to help. I have offered assistance and have all of the information that they need but if they dont submit it, there is nothing you can really do.

Youngwarrior
11-17-15, 04:02 PM
Ok, I figure I have some things to share with anyone who is interested in trying to get back in.

I contacted my PSR who seems to be very helpful so far...He told me I needed to start my medical and dental paperwork right away, since that is the longest process. He was right. I contacted my V.A. clinic and they have me scheduled for everything except dental. I'm calling dental tomorrow.

As far as getting in to the Active side of the house there are a couple ways to get in. The Marine Corps just put out a couple of maradmins (481/15 and 296/15) which outline criteria for Prior-Service Marines who hold critical MOS's and want to get back in. With my RE-30 I don't fit that criteria so I found out about MARSOC being a way in. My buddy just went through A&S and he said a lot of reservists were with him. They told him that was their ticket in to the Active side of the Marine Corps. I contacted MARSOC and their representative confirmed that once I was back on contract in a reserve unit that I could start a package. This works out really well for me because I was trying to get into MARSOC before I received recruiting orders. This may be my second chance.

Granted, it's a long road between where I am and my goal of being Active in MARSOC, but at least it's a shot...And that's all I need. I'll continue updating as things progress.

Youngwarrior
12-07-15, 06:55 PM
Just to update anyone who is interested...I am not covered under the VA for Dental, so I ended up having an exam with a civilian dentist and paid out of pocket with no insurance. It ended up being about $178. I could have gone to the VA for dental treatment and paid out of pocket as well but they told me it was going to be upwards of $240. My recruiter e-mailed me some Medical and Dental paperwork to have the Dentist and Doctor fill out. I am scheduled to have my physical with the VA this Friday. This exam and follow up appointment is free for me because I have 5 years of free medical coverage with the VA for being a combat veteran. So far things are going rather quickly and my PSR is telling me that it might be 1-2 months after putting my medical package together before I have a response back from the Marine Corps on if I am accepted into the Reserve or not. The only problem I see is my MOS. I am a 2621 and I looked at the manpower/reserve website and it doesn't look like there is any unit in need of a 2621 right now. Also, my clearance has expired and I need a reinvestigation to get my TS back. I'm taking it one step at a time though and I'm pretty optimistic so far.

Youngwarrior
02-04-16, 08:59 PM
This is another update to anyone who is still interested or is in the same boat I'm in:
I passed my physical with flying colors and just received my OMPF. If you haven't been on contract you have to fill out an SF180 form and call Manpower to know who to send it to. In order to do that you have to navigate through the maze of the manpower website...My PSR didn't provide any help in this area. So far this whole process is moving pretty quickly for me.

My next step is to bring my physical, dental exam paperwork, and OMPF to the PSR to see about re-training me (I'm a 2621) or seeing if I can go Active Reserve right away. Still plenty of roadblocks but I think I'm progressing rather nicely.

I already mentioned this, but I'll restate that I am still an RE-3O which is why I haven't had any luck with the Active Marine Corps.

If there is anyone in the same boat as I am who is looking for answers please don't hesitate to ask on this thread.

Rocky C
02-05-16, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the update and posting for others that are in the same boat. Congrats so far and keep up the good work. Things are moving along.

Keep us posted on this thread please.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Phaseshift
04-10-16, 11:41 PM
This is another update to anyone who is still interested or is in the same boat I'm in:
I passed my physical with flying colors and just received my OMPF. If you haven't been on contract you have to fill out an SF180 form and call Manpower to know who to send it to. In order to do that you have to navigate through the maze of the manpower website...My PSR didn't provide any help in this area. So far this whole process is moving pretty quickly for me.

My next step is to bring my physical, dental exam paperwork, and OMPF to the PSR to see about re-training me (I'm a 2621) or seeing if I can go Active Reserve right away. Still plenty of roadblocks but I think I'm progressing rather nicely.

I already mentioned this, but I'll restate that I am still an RE-3O which is why I haven't had any luck with the Active Marine Corps.

If there is anyone in the same boat as I am who is looking for answers please don't hesitate to ask on this thread.

Thank you for creating this thread. Since I got out I have always wanted to go back in. I also want to get into MARSOC and you've gone farther than I have so far in terms of trying to get back in.

I spent 4 years as a 1371 Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps w/ 2 deployments to Iraq. I got out in 2009 as Corporal to go to school and finally received my bachelors. Ever since I left I've always thought about going back in, I should have stayed in the first time but I was young, stupid and didn't know where I wanted to be. Now I'm 29 years old, with a bachelors and a much clearer mind of what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to come back into the service, more specifically I want to be a Critical Skills Operator.

I have an RE-1A on my DD214 but also I have 40% service connected disability, tinnitus and PTSD(I can say that I have managed my PTSD, I stopped having episodes since 2010, really no triggers anymore).

What would you recommend for me so I can start the process of going back in?

Youngwarrior
04-11-16, 07:45 AM
For you I would recommend talking to an active duty recruiter because you have an RE-1A. If that doesn't work out try the reserves and once you get to your reserve unit contact MARSOC and ask for an A&S package. Let me know if you have any other questions brother.

Rocky C
04-11-16, 07:59 AM
Let me mention one thing here. Time is not on both of your sides. One of you is 28 and the other is 30 years old.

You do know the age cutoff right ?

Youngwarrior
04-11-16, 08:12 AM
Let me mention one thing here. Time is not on both of your sides. One of you is 28 and the other is 30 years old.

You do know the age cutoff right ?

The age cutoff for the Marine Corps overall or MARSOC? My understanding for the Active Marine Corps was that you subtract the number of Active Duty years from your actual age, so I would be 30-9=21. And when I called MARSOC they told me there was no age limit. Unless I was given bad information, or that information has changed since November 2015.

Rocky C
04-11-16, 08:31 AM
As of today. The key word here is &quot; Waiver &quot;. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Office of Legislative Affairs Headquarters Marine Corps. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
*****Enlistment/Re-enlistment*****

Phaseshift
04-13-16, 09:22 PM
so I'm going to need patience and dedication to get back in it seems. Good because if there is one thing the Corps taught it was to have patience and dedication lol.

I am hoping that there is no age limit for MARSOC, the biggest hurdle it seems will be getting an age waiver to even get back in to the Corps.

Rocky C
04-14-16, 08:54 AM
The age limit to become a Critical Skills Operator is the same as the age limit to Enlist or Re- Enlist in the Marine Corps.

Phaseshift
04-14-16, 03:25 PM
The age limit to become a Critical Skills Operator is the same as the age limit to Enlist or Re- Enlist in the Marine Corps.

With that said, I'm 29 I'm guessing by the time this process is complete and am ready to talk to a MARSOC recruiter I'll be 30...will they even take a look at me? Am I chasing something impossible? If there is even somewhat of a chance that I can get back in and get to MARSOC I'm willing to put the effort in.

Rocky C
04-14-16, 04:41 PM
Talk with a prior service recruiter and see where it leads brother.

Keep us posted please.