PDA

View Full Version : Reaper??

Devildog1010
01-15-04, 10:57 PM
Whats going on Marines? Im a poolee over here in chicago i leave september 7. I was over at the recruting station and there was like 5 marines that just finished boot camp on there 10 day leave. I was talking to them and all of them told me to beware of reaper. I was told its a very large hill thats a *****, i wanted to know is it that bad?

Caesar Augustus
01-15-04, 11:44 PM
Yea from what I've heard it is. ANd if you're squad ldr supposedly you may have to carry extra weight or let people hang on to you and basically drag people up it. The reapers is in SD anyways.

lprkn
01-16-04, 01:30 AM
My brother, who will graduate the 23rd, said the Reaper "wasn't ****." But then again, we country boys are a little tougher than than your average city breed. One guy had stress fractures in both legs after the Crucible.

TracGunny
01-16-04, 07:53 AM
i wanted to know is it that bad Whether it is an ant hill or Mount Everest, it is only as bad as you psyche yourself out into believing. Think of it as a challenge to test your tenacity as a person, and just another step in earning the title 'Marine'.

Sparrowhawk
01-16-04, 08:11 AM
The Reaper? That's Disneyland stuff...

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/eyes.gif

www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Tiger.wav

My name's Sparrowhawk, Marine, blood kin to the grizzy that bit General Westmoreland's ass!

I was born on Veterans Day, cause my papa got horny on Valentine’s Day.

My grandma has drank more whisky than there is in all of Kentucky, My grandpa rode lightening bolts every year in New Mexico for the 4th of July fireworks show and I was there in Oklahoma when they hung the jerk, who invented work.

I can fart a fireball high into the sky, my skin is tougher than a desert tortoise, and I have peed in the Rio Grande and the Mississippi at the same time.

I've ridden the mule that kicked holes in the sky, and shook off its saddle. I’ve slept with slavering wolves, and shared a meal with lion’s in caves as dark as hell’s back door. I have mean black panthers eyes and have clobbered bark off a gum tree faster than the biggest brown bear in North Dakota.

I'm half horse, half gator, with panther, tiger, jungle cat, jackal and hyena thrown in and have a touch of California earthquakes in my head.

I have danced with the prettiest women, and have the fastest goat, and ugliest dog this side of hell.

I can out-jump, out-run, out-eat, throw down, drag out and whip any man in all New York City.

I ain't never seen them, but my common sense tells me the Andes is but foothills compared to the jungles of Nam. The Alps are for old women and children to climb in comparison.

The deep sea is where God has done he's finest sculpturing and I aim to visit them next times I goes swimming.

I knows that there ain't no asylums for crazy Marines! And there ain't no churches except right here on this here site. There ain't no priests excepting squawking Blue Jays.

I am a Vietnam Marine Machine Gunner, sing in the shower, don't wear skivvies and I'll live until a woman breaks my heart or a bullet finds me and there ain't no laws for brave Marines!

OUTLAW
01-16-04, 09:56 AM
PFC OUTLAW HERE....I GRAD ON JAN 9...THE REAPER IS NOT THAT HARD THE THING IS IT'S THE LAST EVENT OF THE CRUCIBLE SO YOUR TIRED,HUNGRY AND ANNOYED BY THEN...SO IT'S A MIND OVER MATTER THING...BUY OUR SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR TOLD US THAT MARINES GO RUNNING UP IT ALL THE TIME...LIKE THE GYSGT SAID IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND

SauerPJ
01-16-04, 12:36 PM
All of you that are about to go into boot camp need to start worring about stupid stuff. Just because you know does not make it easier, and you are not going to be able to get your self ready for the stuff in boot camp. Boot camp is like something that you have never went through before and never will again, stop worring and start reading, read on Corps Values, your general orders, all Marine Corps knoweldge, that will help you in the long run, the next time that you are watching TV turn it off and go read. Knoweldge is power in the Corps. That is why i am the Marine that i am tody is because ok knoweldge.

SEMPER FI

jdfairman
01-30-04, 11:21 AM
Well you know... Back in the old Corps in 1999, we had to crawl up it backwards... on our bellies... dragging our .50 cal with our teeth. And woe to the recruit who showed up at the top of the reaper with a dirty .50 cal. The drill instructor would sacrifice him to the gods of war by impaling him on a guidon stick while the rest of the platoon was forced to take part in the ritual by making it rain (you'll learn all about that) and screaming at the top of their lungs, "Woe to Recruit Knucklehead... Woe to him for allowing the most wonderful .50 cal to be soiled by the most unclean ground of that which is the reaper. WOE TO HIM!!!".

Deduke
01-30-04, 11:51 AM
Is The Reaper the same thing as Mount MF'er?

yellowwing
01-30-04, 12:26 PM
"Whether it is an ant hill or Mount Everest, it is only as bad as you psyche yourself out into believing." - Twice on the obstacle course I practically sailed over that wall. The third time a Drill Instructor was yelling at a recruit, "Get your *ss over my 8 foot wall now!"

I thought, "Cripes, I didn't know it was 8 feet tall!" And sure enough it took me three tries to get over it again!

leroy8541
01-31-04, 09:55 AM
I'm with Deduke is the reaper the same as Mt. MotherFocker?

leroy8541
01-31-04, 09:58 AM
I only know of MF'er, Ballbuster, powerline,recon ridge, Smokey,and Margerita Peak.

sleeper
01-31-04, 10:04 AM
Mind over matter. You don't mind, it won't matter.

namgrunt
02-08-04, 01:30 AM
Must be my aging mind and its diminshing faculties, but I don't recall any mudhill called "Reaper". I know there was "Old Smokey" at San Onofre, and "Mt Baldy", near Margarita, but Reaper eludes me completely. As for San Diego, there were no mountains at MCRD that I remember. It was as flat as a cityscape can be. After all, it was right next to Lindberg Airport. We used to watch the big planes come and go, as we sweated and labored.

Of course, I've heard of folks making mountains out of molehills.

namgrunt

leroy8541
02-08-04, 10:28 AM
Do the Infantry troops going thru school at Onofre still run up Smokey in the night and put the company letters on the face? We used to have a blast doing that.

Molehills to mountains, Remember the night humps up and down MFer in boot camp was a biotch, returned to MFer a few years later in PT gear while with Recon for a morning stroll. MFer wasn't as bad as I remembered.

cmbell
02-08-04, 11:32 AM
I've been up the reaper in a 5 ton!, a hummer, and while humping with a pack.

Its nothing but a steep hill...............enjoy!

CPLRapoza
02-08-04, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't know, I went to boot camp in Parris Island. Go to 29 palms and hump up, "Cardiac" or "Sugar Cookie" those ain't no joke. Has anyone ever heard of "Mt Sheep Sh*t" it's in Pendelton. My dad told me that that was another one that was popular back during the NAM era.

usmc4669
02-08-04, 01:24 PM
The reaper is for all of you Hollywood Marines who wore sun glasses and played in the surf. Try drilling, running in sand up to your ass; the reaper is child play in regards to the swamps of Parris Island, fighting gators, snakes and those damn sand flees. Then some of us had it easy. Did I hit another nerve? You poor Marines west of the big ditch really had it rough. "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" LOL Lets spend another weekend at the USO, Near Hollywood and Vine.

Sparrowhawk:
Permission to post you remarks on another web site.

namgrunt
02-08-04, 05:57 PM
You're right Gunny. I felt totally dejected when they ran out of suntan lotion at the PX. I was the only boot without a Coppertone tan. And to make things worse, the valets didn't get my boots shined right for inspection, and I was almost held back. It made me feel like going on sick call. >ROFLMAO<

Seriously, we all fought and died pretty much the same way. We Hollywood Marines just did it on better C-Rats. :D

Cheers! :cool:

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

usmc4669
02-08-04, 10:05 PM
namgrunt
I know that. Just a little East Coast humor; my son went to SD and he was damn good Marine retired with 20 service, he put 4 in the Army and then got out for 2 years could have went back into the Army as Sgt. instead enlested in the Marines, went throgh Boot Camp just like everyone else. The Marines train their own.
Do you still have your sun glasses?

namgrunt
02-08-04, 11:39 PM
Nope, I lost them chasing girls :bunny: at Disneyland after I graduated from ITR:D. I know I'm glad we didn't have sandfleas. I recall the famous scene in "The DI", with Jack Webb, where the entire boot platoon had to search for a sand flea which Pvt. Owens had killed. Everyone was on their knees, crawling around in the dark. Two guys were digging a hole, while a third was filling it in right behind them. I take it this was typical PI DI humor.

A couple of boots decided to pull a fast one on the SDI, by killing a flea, then running to him with their prize. When TSgt Moore looked at the flea, he hollered for Pvt Owens to report. When Owens appeared, Sgt Moore asked him what sex the flea he had killed was. Owens told him it was a female flea. Sgt Moore took a long look, then said "Nope! Thats not the one. Go back and search some more." Then the scene ended. Sandfleas?? ....No thanks.

Semper Fi!
Hollywood namgrunt:cool:

snipowsky
02-10-04, 01:19 AM
Mr. Poolee lprkn aka "country boy",

I've grew up in the country and the city being a military brat and I live in the city now, and your comment stating "country boys" are "tougher" is quite commical! I knew how to skin a buck and survive some mean ghetto city streets way before the Marines. But your comment is way out of line!

You just keep on thinking that ignorant country thinking and when you go to Boot Camp you will meet some "city boys" who will make you want to cry for your momma's left titty! Think I'm joking? You'll see what I mean soon enough! I'd rather much have a "city boy" in my fighting hole with me then some redneck "country boy" who thinks he's John Rambo!

Not to mention the "city boy" probably has already seen some action in them ghetto city streets, so you know he's not going to be the one SH***ING on himself or in his trousers when the rounds start flying at him!

So would you like to retract your last ignorant comment? I know you will, you know why? City boy or country boy one thing YOU WILL LEARN in the Marines...we are all Marines! Doesn't matter the color of your skin, what you talk like, what you look like or where you are even from! That don't matter!

This is what matters....brotherhood and comraderie!

We are all Mean Green Killing Machines!

That's even considering you make it! I MADE IT! I am a United States Marine and I will always consider myself a "CITY BOY"!

Semper Fi, and Goodluck!

Parris Island Graduate/Marine for life and in death!

P.S. No mountain could ever compare to a swarm of Parris Island sand fleas hell bent on making you scratch when you know you shouldn't! I'm not even going to lie, I did scratch once or twice! Thing is I was so "slick" my DI's never caught me! Heh Heh! :yes:

usmc4669
02-10-04, 09:10 AM
snipowsky:

I was raised in a small town in Florida, now am I a city boy or country boy, am I a red neck, or city wise hoodlum? I guess being from the South that make me a RED NECK. Red necks tougher that city wise hoodlums? That depends on the individual. Want to go back to cry for your momma's left titty? The first days at Parris Island found a lot of young men wanting to go back to their moms, red necks and city boys. "Parris Island sand fleas hell bent on making you scratch when you know you shouldn't! I'm not even going to lie, I did scratch once or twice!" A red neck country boy would never have scratch. LOL
Don't be hard on Mr. Poolee lprkn aka "country boy", he will find out soon enough.

snipowsky
02-10-04, 09:41 AM
LOL Roger that Gunny! I couldn't resist the temptation with his lame comment! I'm from Indiana, so do you think I'm a Redneck? I'd say YES! I just wanted to convey to him that no matter how tough or "badass" you might think you are, there is always someone out there meaner, tougher and definitely more badass then you and I put together and his name is Chesty Puller! Just to set the record straight I DID NOT INTEND TO OR EVEN TRY TO DISRESPECT ANY MARINE, just the POOLEE! And yes he will find out very soon Gunny! Heh Heh! Just like we all have had to at one time or another!

:::GETS ON FACE AND DOES FIFTY FOR THE RETIRED GUNNY:::

Semper Fi Gunny!

P.S. You didn't scratch one time? You are the man then, those sand fleas loved my blood! Must be the southern and northern mixture they loved so much!:banana:

lprkn
02-11-04, 12:05 PM
Hey, I was just kidding around. Basically what I was saying was that people who have had more experience hiking/humping around will most likely do a little better than those who have never walked further than to the nearest bus stop, though are probably always notable exceptions (And I'm sure LCpl Snipowsky was one of those).

However, I feel that I can make fun of both sides of the fence, as I have lived in both types of areas. I'm from Idaho, but did live in the South Bay Area (California) for my high school years.

My comment wasn't intended to offend anybody, and was just good-natured ribbing, and I hope it was taken as such.

GUNNYKOON
01-21-08, 03:39 AM
The reaper is for all of you Hollywood Marines who wore sun glasses and played in the surf. Try drilling, running in sand up to your ass; the reaper is child play in regards to the swamps of Parris Island, fighting gators, snakes and those damn sand flees. Then some of us had it easy. Did I hit another nerve? You poor Marines west of the big ditch really had it rough. "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" LOL Lets spend another weekend at the USO, Near Hollywood and Vine.

Sparrowhawk:
Permission to post you remarks on another web site.
Bull****,the last time a Marine was in the swamps of P.I. was in '56, drop the "Fightin the Gators and Snakes" crap and stop smackin' them poor little sand flea's, and don't worry we won't tell anyone you boys east of the big ditch play in a sand box and have never been more then 12 feet above sea level in your life. LOOK OUT!!!! HERE COMES A SAND FLEA!!!!!!

ttracker65
02-18-08, 10:27 PM
The most important thing you Young Gentlemen can learn in Boot is the mental aspect that you are "Bullet Proof". You will often experience pain and or discomfort, it is how you react to it. You need to learn to embrase and absorb it. As I have written in other posts you will need to learn it is only a thing and it too will come to pass. this mental conditioning is paramount in spec training ie MWT, JEST, E&E and POW training all use these techniques in their training. And this too shall pass. Good luck to you and your Marine Corps future. Semper Fi

Lickdem89
02-18-08, 10:34 PM
My dad said that ALL the Parris Island Marines couldn't hump at all compared to the so called "Hollywood Marines"

ttracker65
02-18-08, 10:39 PM
Please do not fall into the Habu. Your metal shall be tested soon enough. Just work on getting one boot in front of the other. As to humping... until you have done the Fugi run do not judge.

Lickdem89
02-18-08, 11:51 PM
I apologize and you are totally right

ttracker65
02-18-08, 11:58 PM
Do not apologise, Pride is good but false pride is dangerous. You will do fine just Keep your head down, Follow mission orders, Watch after your fellow Marines ass and Come home safe and in one piece and all is good.
Again good luck to you on your Marine Corps carrier

PatriotGirl422
02-19-08, 09:38 AM
Damn GunnyKoon managed to resurrect this one from 2004! Welcome to the site, Gunny. Just please remember to fill out your profile (it's a strict rule that all the Marines on this site have).

outlaw3179
02-19-08, 10:11 AM
lol...

jaythestar
02-28-08, 01:38 AM
reaper is in 41 area las flores. 1st LAR, Anglico, 5/11...been up it, been down it, and been around it.

SlingerDun
02-28-08, 03:31 AM
The best (or worst whichever you decide) humps are known to lay in the country between San Mateo and San Onofre canyons east towards Case (KC) Springs and the Santa Margarita Mountains. Read a topo map and watch the contour lines bunch up, that means wind suckin and ass whuppin. From near the coast them thar hills appear dark brown and hazy and i used to think it was the Chocolate Mountain gunnery range until i covered it. There also was or is bison out there and plenty of cougar sign and sheep and possibly larger entities:scared: but i doubt your boot camp excursions will extend that far into the outback. Check out google earth for a good look, bonus: click on orange colored dots tagged, 1982-05-??~2mi and 1968-11-??~15 mi, then click the http links for a couple interesting sightings about the region.

--->Dave

ttracker65
02-28-08, 06:57 PM
enjoy your state side strolls. If you want a real hump you gotta do the Fugi Run.

SlingerDun
02-29-08, 01:44 AM
Its either the back side of Mt. Mutha or Old Smokey in the upper left. Sgt Bulkyker??? I dont recall the wide swath of fire break5262

Quinbo
02-29-08, 02:32 AM
I looked at that picture long and hard and the best I can come up with was the photographer was looking east somewhere between Onefre and Horno. I'm spitballing but I'm guessing that particular fire break would take you all the way to case springs. If you wanted to go fishing at case springs you had to drive all the way to Las Pulgas then take the gravel road from there (after checking in with range control of course). Mt. Mother is between Onefre and Mateo and it is my understanding that recruits do not train there any more. I have been lead to believe that the reaper is what used to be called Iron Mike which is south and west of Horno.

SlingerDun
02-29-08, 05:49 AM
Looking east hhhmmmmm. Well the long shadows and the shape and foilage of the brush with a possible lean from the ocean breezes and the sky looks more like afternoon than morning, i gotta guess its facing SSE. What kind of fish do they pull out of Case springs.

--->Dave

Quinbo
02-29-08, 07:05 AM
In theory there is hatchery trout and small mouth bass in there. I fished there a half dozen times and never caught a dam thing ;)

sparkie
02-29-08, 07:22 AM
Never fished there, but frog giggin was good at a little mud hole under the 5.

SlingerDun
02-29-08, 08:08 PM
The Reaper? That's Disneyland stuff...

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/eyes.gif

www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Tiger.wav (http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Tiger.wav)

My name's Sparrowhawk, Marine, blood kin to the grizzy that bit General Westmoreland's ass!

I was born on Veterans Day, cause my papa got horny on Valentine’s Day.

My grandma has drank more whisky than there is in all of Kentucky, My grandpa rode lightening bolts every year in New Mexico for the 4th of July fireworks show and I was there in Oklahoma when they hung the jerk, who invented work.

I can fart a fireball high into the sky, my skin is tougher than a desert tortoise, and I have peed in the Rio Grande and the Mississippi at the same time.

I've ridden the mule that kicked holes in the sky, and shook off its saddle. I’ve slept with slavering wolves, and shared a meal with lion’s in caves as dark as hell’s back door. I have mean black panthers eyes and have clobbered bark off a gum tree faster than the biggest brown bear in North Dakota.

I'm half horse, half gator, with panther, tiger, jungle cat, jackal and hyena thrown in and have a touch of California earthquakes in my head.

I have danced with the prettiest women, and have the fastest goat, and ugliest dog this side of hell.

I can out-jump, out-run, out-eat, throw down, drag out and whip any man in all New York City.

I ain't never seen them, but my common sense tells me the Andes is but foothills compared to the jungles of Nam. The Alps are for old women and children to climb in comparison.

The deep sea is where God has done he's finest sculpturing and I aim to visit them next times I goes swimming.

I knows that there ain't no asylums for crazy Marines! And there ain't no churches except right here on this here site. There ain't no priests excepting squawking Blue Jays.

I am a Vietnam Marine Machine Gunner, sing in the shower, don't wear skivvies and I'll live until a woman breaks my heart or a bullet finds me and there ain't no laws for brave Marines!Thats Del Gue! with an e

Quinbo
02-29-08, 10:49 PM
I'm not the only Jerimiah Johnson fan I see

GUNNYKOON
11-01-11, 05:42 PM
By the way "4669", did you tell all the young Marines what "4669" is? It's Your MOS, Occupational Field "46" is "Training & Audio-Visual Support", the "69" means your a Staff NCO. Truth is, I had to look it up, I just never spent much time with anyone in the 46 MOS Field, Not that your not Important, But Hell, it's your job to write that kind of stuff. Semper Fi 4669! Give 'em Hell!

GUNNYKOON
11-01-11, 06:13 PM
[quote=GUNNYKOON;314247]Bull****,the last time a Marine was in the swamps of P.I. was in '56, drop the "Fightin the Gators and Snakes" crap and stop smackin' them poor little sand flea's, and don't worry we won't tell anyone you boys east of the big ditch play in a sand box and have never been more then 12 feet above sea level in your life. LOOK OUT!!!! HERE COMES A SAND FLEA! By the way "4669", did you tell the Young Marines what "4669" is? Why, It's your MOS and Rank! "46" is the Occupational Field for, "Training & Audio-Visual Support, and the "69" means your a Staff NCO, Not to say the "46" Field isn't important, it is, But it is Your Job to write stuff..... Well... Semper Fi "4669"! PS I don't want anyone to think I know everything about the Corps, truth is, I had to lookup the "46 Field" to see what it was. I've never known anyone in that MOS.

Barnett20110425
11-02-11, 12:16 AM
The Reaper.
The recruits think of it as this impossible monster in their minds.
I thought that it would be nearly impossible to get up the hills from
the stories that I was told as a younger recruit.

By the time that I actually got to the hill I knew that I could conquer that hill.
I had it in my mind that I would make it ever if I had to claw my way
up it on my hands in knees.

Did it come to that? No. I made it to the top and stood triumphantly with tears
in my eyes with the thought that I had made it. I was getting my Eagle, Globe, and
Anchor in just a few short hours.

Moral of the story: Don't overthink the thing.

The real hills are at MCT.

Good luck to you.