PDA

View Full Version : Mos?

zwhite84
01-15-04, 09:23 PM
OK guys. I have decided to join the Marines. I thought I might like the Air Force....but look at them.... Someone told me to join the Air Force because I could get fat and do nothing. (Implying that it was pretty easy) But the heck with that. I'm here for a life experience and challenge. But I came upon another stump.
I am really good with computers and already have a quater of schooling in my computer class. My recruiter says a good field to go into would be Aviation Mechanic or somewhere around there.
Whats your guys opinions? Any other suggestions? I am a pretty good mechanic. Use to work as one for about 2 years. But thats just on cars and I don't want to work on 'vehicles'. Jets and other air craft I wouldn't mind. Any other fields that you guys could enlighten me on?
Thanks a bunch!

Caesar Augustus
01-15-04, 10:43 PM
AE forgot what it stands for I think is a year long school in Pensacola FL. or data systems have to do with comps.

TracGunny
01-16-04, 10:15 AM
Shaffer has provided a complete MOS chart on the Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society website:

http://www.jaxsemperfidelis.org/attachments/MOS.doc

Test your Web research skills to find out more information on any MOS that perks your interest.

(Thanks Jerry)

sleeper
01-31-04, 10:10 AM
Find a job you want when you leave the service, find the MOS that corresponds to it. This is for a 4 year person or a retiree.
Example of a friend:
Young Marine becomes an Air Traffic Controller.
4 years later he's out and working for DOD making $40K / year.
1 year later the FAA hires him and he starts off at $89K / year.

Nothing wrong with being gung ho, but be wise in your future.

Besides, mobile ATC get a chance to see action as well.

kmjb
01-31-04, 10:27 PM
my mos is ATC and I am going to volunteer for recon...I have a 287 pft score as of now but I'm not leaving until august 9th for PI...I was just wonderin if anyone new any way to help me get ready for recon training if i get picked.... I really look foward to doing this so I want to be in top shape so I get chosen.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

Lake0300
01-31-04, 11:01 PM
Research as much as you can about it. Ask questions about the Indoc and the training. Lastly, eat dirt. -Lake

dawsonrecon
02-11-04, 01:34 PM
kmjb-
endurance is the key. work on your running and swimming skills. but you must remember recon is not just all physical....try to get some information from your recruiter or I can try to help any way that I can just pm me. I do have lots of info if you are serious about reconnaissance.-Cpl Dawson

us_marine62104
02-19-04, 11:05 AM
Motor T 3531 Thats the way to go

kmjb
02-20-04, 01:26 PM
dawson you ARE THE man i'm glad someone like you came along and i will take you up on that offer...

radio relay
02-20-04, 01:45 PM
Hey Kids,

IMHO Go 0300!!! Nobody joins the Marine Corps to be a stinkin' poge! ;)

If you want vocational training, then join the Navy, or the others. If you want to be a warrior, join the Marine Corps, and go 0300, Grunt!!

Trust me I know. I joined when you didn't have a choice of MOS. The big Green Machine, in it's infinite wisdom, told me I had to be a poge radio relay technician (2831), and I had no other choice in the matter. It was a good MOS. I did get some great training and good duty, but I joined the Corps to be a Grunt. So, I was never really happy. Later on, I went to war, got some trigger time, and it all worked out.

BUT...

Again, if you have the choice, why else would you join the Marine Corps, if you don't want to be a down and dirty, bad assed, warrior.... i.e. a Marine Grunt?

SF:marine:

usmc4669
02-20-04, 02:00 PM
First what is your goals in life. If you should join the Marines; like someone else said, make plans on what you plan on doing after your enlistment in over before you sign up and try to get into the field that will help you when you get out; unless you decide to make a career out of the Marines even then plan on advancement in grade. Some fields won't really help you in the market place,so keep this in mind. Take advantage of any Collage offers that you can, improve your education while you are in the Marines, take the basic collage courses so that you can finish your collage in a shorter time, this will also help if you decide to be a career Marine. The Marines need men in all fields, you will still be a Marine even if you never have to take up a weapon and fight; our grunts need the support groups that help to keep them alive. What ever you decide good luck.

Gunny USMC Retired

Booyah!
02-22-04, 04:58 PM
Is there any Marine who has had the MOS- 5711 that could tell me a little more about it?

I would appreciate any information on it. My recruiter told me just the general idea about the NBC field.

cmbell
02-22-04, 05:35 PM
Motor T is a good option. As a 3531/3536 wrecker operator I had a blast. 3521 is a good option also. I had some of my friends get out in to the civilian world and get good jobs as diesel mechs for CAT and working on civilian Humvees to 18- wheelers.

impact
02-25-04, 03:26 AM
Thank you to the members who are posting thier answers to all of these questions. You are really providing a great service to all of us!

My question:

Is it possible to participate in PLC if you are a Senior in college who plans on attending graduate school for a non-medical/law degree? i.e. Could I attend PLC Juniors during the summer after I graduate undergrad and attend PLC Seniors after I complete my first year of grad school? Thanks for the input.

devildog_13
02-26-04, 12:36 PM
how would u go about security forces? would u have to go infantry or become an MP?