PDA

View Full Version : Ontario California

29palms
08-30-15, 08:50 AM
I'll try this again, wrote a piece here but lost it. Had a military charter, field trip to take military to Ontario California a few months back. To my surprise, picked up Marines in Austin Texas. I noticed that as the plane rolled up and saw their rolled up sleeves. I figured in Austin they would be ARMY from nearby Killeen, but these were Marine Reservist out of Austin going on their two weeks training in 29 Palms. Interesting gear, with their digital cammies, and ILBE packs, which I've never seen before. All in great physical shape, could have sworn they were active duty. I noticed too most of them had TATOOS, mostly the Tejanos of that unit. One Marine I talked to showed me CRYPTO he had in his pocket, looked like a chip. He showed me when I told him I was a FROC (Field Radio Operator) stationed in 29 Palms some 33 years ago. Then went on to Corpus Christi, Texas, picked up another 70 Marines, attached to same unit there. Took them to Ontario, California, then on back to Houston empty with the female flight attendants all wanting my attention. I sat in the back so they wouldn't bother me since they were all dingy. Totally a new Marine Corps. An eye opener. New weapons, packs, gear, crypto. Here is a link on that unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Battalion_23rd_Marines

josephd
08-30-15, 09:12 PM
ITX 4-15

I was out there with 1/23 as well as 3/25, 4th AAVs, 4th CEB, 4th Tanks, and CLB-23.

29palms
08-31-15, 09:38 PM
Oh yea? I wanna say this was around early June? I suppose you flew commercial out of MSP? I was with 4th AAV's out of Jacksonville Fl, a long time ago. You might have been there with 4th aav's out of either Galveston or Tampa, San Diego or maybe even Jax. Frickin hot as hell out there eh?.

29palms
08-31-15, 09:48 PM
Was wondering, what kind of unit are you attached to? Are you performing your MOS at that unit or did you get another MOS? I was a FROC when I went to a Tank unit. They had to many FROC there and so they tried to make me a TANKER. Never performed any duties on Tanks as a tanker per say, however, its in my records as being a Tanker. I want to get a TANKER certificate. Fair enough, they used me as a TANKER in paper so now gimme the paper certificate.

josephd
08-31-15, 11:21 PM
Oh yea? I wanna say this was around early June? I suppose you flew commercial out of MSP? I was with 4th AAV's out of Jacksonville Fl, a long time ago. You might have been there with 4th aav's out of either Galveston or Tampa, San Diego or maybe even Jax. Frickin hot as hell out there eh?.

MSP?...Minneapolis?...no, I live in Tempe/Phoenix, AZ...flew commercial out of Phx Sky Harbor. And yes 4th AAV's from Galveston was there with me.

ITX 4-15 ran from May 29-July 2 so that woulda been it

And yes, extremely hot....was 122 out there one day. Again I live in Phoenix, AZ so it wasn't much of a shock

josephd
08-31-15, 11:26 PM
I am Bulk Fueler at a Bulk Fuel Unit, other than MOS school I have never really performed any sort of Fuel operations though. When was out in 29 for ITX, I was in charge of a small detachment of...

29palms
09-01-15, 01:03 AM
That's very neat. I figured you were in Minnesota, but in AZ now eh? I hear that the universities there in Arizona are very "Veteran friendly", take veterans in as IN STATE TUITION. So figured you must have taken advantage of college in that state. I have a friend that was in the USMC during Nam, met him on SAIPAN where he was working for the CNMI government there as a MARSHAL. He pounded out a retirement, now living in HISPERIA California. Keep in touch with him from time to time, he even came out here to visit me once. The guy fueling the aircraft at Ontario, I asked how far HISPERIA was, told me everything there in Ontario was within an hour drive. Hour to LA, hour to Palm Springs, hour to here and there. Did you get some R&R over to Palm Springs? I was surprised that they still had that "HAIR OF THE DOG" saloon there. I had remembered that bar from back in 82. We took a ride out that way from Vegas about a year ago. I kind of envied in a way those Marines going there for training. I know its hot, I know its a ***** sometimes, but nonetheless, a little excitement from normal everyday life. I don't know that in my stage of the game, I could hack the heat and physical excursions. But as long as I have lots of water, I think I would be there hanging.

josephd
09-01-15, 12:19 PM
That's very neat. I figured you were in Minnesota, but in AZ now eh? I hear that the universities there in Arizona are very "Veteran friendly", take veterans in as IN STATE TUITION. So figured you must have taken advantage of college in that state.

No actually....I moved out here after graduating high school in 2003 to go to school...didn't enlist in the reserves until 2008 here after my first stint at school and attempt to commission didn't go too well. Obviously came back here after deployment and started back in school right away

29palms
09-02-15, 10:24 AM
Hey Josephd, did you sign up in reserves, then get deployed with your unit? Was all of your USMC stint in reserves? Seemed like there for a while, if you wanted to see guaranteed combat in the USMC, just go in the reserves.
In the time I was in, (early 80's) we were always told it would take an act of congress to go to war and reservist called up. Well, I've seen that happen twice now. Gulf War and the most recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
When I went with the Maritime Prepositioned Ships, working as a civilian for a USMC program, I heard the exact same thing. "It will take an act of congress for these ships to deploy in a war". And one day, President Bush gave a speech and I found myself floating into the Gulf War right to Al Jubail.

josephd
09-02-15, 05:28 PM
Hey Josephd, did you sign up in reserves, then get deployed with your unit? Was all of your USMC stint in reserves? Seemed like there for a while, if you wanted to see guaranteed combat in the USMC, just go in the reserves.
In the time I was in, (early 80's) we were always told it would take an act of congress to go to war and reservist called up. Well, I've seen that happen twice now. Gulf War and the most recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
When I went with the Maritime Prepositioned Ships, working as a civilian for a USMC program, I heard the exact same thing. "It will take an act of congress for these ships to deploy in a war". And one day, President Bush gave a speech and I found myself floating into the Gulf War right to Al Jubail.

Yes I signed up/contracted to the reserves. But No, I did not deploy with my unit. A handful of us(12) got selected to attach to a reserve MP unit to make up a security element. Our security element got attached to CLB-6 for deployment, and then fell under RCT-6 command once we were operating in country.

And yes I've been in the reserves for my whole career thus far....other than my 1 year of active/mobilization for deployment and about 6 months of ADOS orders with my I&I staff.

josephd
09-02-15, 05:33 PM
Reserves has become a more vital part of the Corps recently. With the Corps going back to its "amphibious roots" and sending out more MEU's/rotations...the reserves has played a major role in filling small detachment roles for specific MOSs to go along as support to the MEU/MEF/MEB.

There is also a few all reserve MAGTF(s) that are taking part in a few MEU's...for OPSEC purposes I am not going to go into detail as to where they are going.

josephd
09-02-15, 05:35 PM
But yes, in general it takes a huge operation/campaign somewhere to mobilize reservists.....I am in a company of about 400 Marines....out of those there is only about 5 of us that are not active duty and been on deployment.

29palms
09-02-15, 06:52 PM
It sounds like that is the kind of reserves I would have liked to have been in. Pretty neat to get a little more involved in expeditions. When they take part on these exercises, are they doing this for how long? Two weeks? A month? Longer? I've always known that reserves were always a huge player in Marine strength. Would have been neat to deploy to Central America for instance instead of doing exercises in Camp Legune, or maybe even get involved in other overseas operations such as Africa or Middle East. Only thing is, so now with reserves playing a more vital role, it would be nice to be somewhat compensated as far as benefits goes more like the active duty, if they are to play more active duty roles.

29palms
09-02-15, 07:07 PM
Are reservist being treated with a little more respect by active duty, especially when having been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan? One thing that really changed is how reserve ID cards can be used on base and shop unlimited. When I was in, you were limited to 4 uses. (I never used base PX because I didn't have a family, ate out all the time, was single.) Yea, sounds a lot like its getting harder to distinguish between active duty and reserves in today's rolls. Not easy being a reservist like everyone thinks is it? Being a reservist, having or maintaining a civilian job locally situated, going to school, dealing with deployments can be having "quite a lot on your plate". Gotta really love it to stay in to put up with the hardships involved.

josephd
09-02-15, 07:13 PM
It sounds like that is the kind of reserves I would have liked to have been in. Pretty neat to get a little more involved in expeditions. When they take part on these exercises, are they doing this for how long? Two weeks? A month? Longer? I've always known that reserves were always a huge player in Marine strength. Would have been neat to deploy to Central America for instance instead of doing exercises in Camp Legune, or maybe even get involved in other overseas operations such as Africa or Middle East. Only thing is, so now with reserves playing a more vital role, it would be nice to be somewhat compensated as far as benefits goes more like the active duty, if they are to play more active duty roles.

Depends on the role they are playing....for some it's considered a deployment so they are gone for about 8-9 months. For some Marines it may just be an annual training exercise, so only 2 weeks.

While reservists are mobilized they are compensated, actually reservists while on active duty orders make more than the active duty counterpart. And they become Post 9/11 GI Bill eligible on top of the normal VA benefits.

29palms
09-02-15, 07:16 PM
What I'm talking about compensation in as far as benefits, in comparison to active duty, not talking about so much as the pay or money, but things such as va home loans, eligibility for certain things otherwise not avail to reservist.

josephd
09-02-15, 07:19 PM
Are reservist being treated with a little more respect by active duty, especially when having been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan? One thing that really changed is how reserve ID cards can be used on base and shop unlimited. When I was in, you were limited to 4 uses. (I never used base PX because I didn't have a family, ate out all the time, was single.) Yea, sounds a lot like its getting harder to distinguish between active duty and reserves in today's rolls. Not easy being a reservist like everyone thinks is it? Being a reservist, having or maintaining a civilian job locally situated, going to school, dealing with deployments can be having "quite a lot on your plate". Gotta really love it to stay in to put up with the hardships involved.

I have never been treated "poorly" from anyone on the active side. On deployment no one knew my section was all reservists unless someone said something.

Reserve Marines(SMCR) get the same ID Card(CAC card) that active guys get.

No it is definitely not easy...especially if you are a NCO/SNCO billet holder. I spend a few hours per week handling things for my Marines(conference calls, administrative things, planning, updating training records, writing awards, pg.11's, etc) outside of drill weekends.

29palms
09-03-15, 07:42 AM
Very good stuff. Thanks for answering these questions. Sounds like you've had quite an interesting run there with the Corps. Semper Fi.