View Full Version : Independent Studies?

09-04-02, 03:53 PM
I talked to my recruiter today and he said that the Marine Corp doesn't accept kids who are in independent studies or homeschooling even though I would be getting a high school diploma, but he said all I would have to do is earn college credits and it would be fine. My question is, do I have to obtain a certain amount of credits or have to stay there for the entire 2 or 4 years depending on if I go to a community college or State/University College? Thanks for your help.

09-04-02, 08:08 PM
I haven't talked a recruiter yet, but I'm also homeschooled. I use an internet based accredited program and will be getting a diploma from a private school. I have a classmate (somewhere in the country, I don't know where he lives. I have classmates all over the world but I know he's in the states) that is in the DEP for the Navy and will not be attending college between graduation and shipping off.

I honestly don't have the answer to your question. I just wanted to put the information out that that if you're using an accredited program (which is the same as going to a private school) you should be okay.


(P.S. I know you and I have already spoken. I just know there are other homeschoolers out there and wanted to put that info. out there.)

09-04-02, 09:07 PM
Look for my posts in another thread in this forum. The answer is that you would need 15 college credits to be considered a Tier I and fully qualified (educationally) to process for enlistment. Look for the other info to get up to speed on why this is.

09-04-02, 11:19 PM
Much Thanks Six, will do. Have a good night Devilpup.

09-05-02, 06:02 AM
I'm always here to help.

09-05-02, 02:41 PM
Tier 1 - High School Graduate.

(1) High School Graduate. An applicant who has attended and completed a 12-year/grade, daytime, structured program of classroom instruction and possesses a locally issued diploma. The diploma must be issued from the school where the applicant completed the program requirements. This includes both:

(a) Traditional high school graduates

(b) Alternative/continuation high school graduates. Not all alternative/continuation high school graduates are classified as Tier I. To qualify as a Tier I graduate, the applicant should have had the same daytime course and graduation requirements; the same days, weeks and hours of attendance; and have earned the same valid high school diploma as earned by graduates of the traditional local public school system. Applicants whose education does not meet this description are usually categorized as Tier II.

(2) College/Post-secondary Student. An applicant who has attended and successfully completed 15 semester hours/22 quarter hours of college, regardless of high school/grammar school education. "Successfully completed" means that the individual earned college-level credits (level 100 or higher) toward a degree in higher education from an institution listed in the degree granting section of the current version of the Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education (AIPE), published by the American Council on Education for the Council of Post Secondary Accreditation. NOT all institutions listed in the current AIPE are considered as offering college-level credits. The credits must have been earned through actual classroom participation at the institution awarding the credits. The individual must have attended the institution for the purpose of earning college-level credits, not for the pursuit of a high school equivalence preparation/diploma or to obtain a vo/tech certificate. Credit earned through testing for pursuit of high school equivalency preparation is not acceptable. The 15 semester hours/22 quarter hours do not have to be completed in a single semester. (Note: For the Army, completion of college courses below the 100 level will be accepted for enlistment if the course is clearly identified as a college level course and credit will be recognized by the college towards graduation and degree completion requirements. An original letter on the college letterhead stationary is required to verify the status of courses completed.)

(3) Adult High School Graduate. An applicant who has earned a diploma on the basis of attending and completing an adult education diploma program. For adult education diploma holders to be categorized Tier I high school graduates, their educational program must include attendance which is comparable to that of traditional high schools. Diploma holders possessing attendance not deemed comparable, and/or have been credited attendance based on some form of test-based credential, are usually classified as Tier II status.

The Army allows applicants who is currently enrolled in an adult education or college program, and who further is expected to graduate or attain the required credits within 365 days may to enlist in the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP). Applicants in pursuit of high school diploma status (Tier 1) via college semester hours or quarter hours must attain the required credits upon completion of the current term of enrollment. Verification is required in the form of a statement from the school that the individual is enrolled, and must indicate the expected graduation or completion date.

(continued in next post)

09-05-02, 02:43 PM
Tier II: Alternative Credential Holder.

(1) Test-based Equivalency Diploma Graduate: An applicant who possesses a GED or other test-based high school equivalency certificate or diploma. This includes, for example, statewide testing programs such as the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE), whereby examinees may earn a certificate of competency or proficiency. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma solely on the basis of such equivalency testing is not considered as a Tier I high school graduate for the Marines, Army and Navy, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.

(2) Certificate of Attendance. An applicant who possesses an attendance-based certificate or diploma. These are sometimes called certificates of competency or completion, but they are based on course completion rather than a test such as the GED or CHSPE. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma on the basis of an attendance credential is not to be considered a Tier I high school graduate in the Navy, Army and Marine Corps, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.

(3) Alternative/Continuation High School. Those applicants who do not meet the Tier I criteria as described above.

(4) Home Study. An applicant who earned a high school diploma or certificate awarded by a state, based upon certification by a parent or guardian that the individual completed his/ her secondary education at home. (Note: In the Air Force, many home study programs are considered Tier I graduates.

(5) Correspondence School Diploma. An applicant who earns a diploma or certificate upon completion of correspondence school course work, regardless of whether the diploma was issued by a correspondence school, a state, or a secondary or post-secondary educational institution. (In the Army & Air Force, such diplomas (issued by a State) may be considered Tier I, depending upon the laws of the State.

(6) Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). An applicant who has attended a vocational/technical or proprietary school for at least 675 classroom hours and possesses a certificate of attendance or completion indicating such. Correspondence schools offering vocational certificates are not included.

Tier III: Non-High School Graduate. An applicant who is neither a high school graduate nor an alternative credential holder.

The military services accept very, very, very few Tier III category personnel. When they do make a rare exception, the applicant must usually score significantly higher on the ASVAB than Tier I and Tier II candidates. For example, a Tier III candidate in the Marine Corps must score at least a 50 overall ASVAB score (AFQT Score) and a score of at least 90 in the GT (General Technical) Composite Area of the ASVAB. In the very unlikely event (almost nonexistent) that the Air Force would accept a Tier III candidate, the recruit would have to score a minimum AFQT score of 65 to be eligible.

The services also limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year. In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify. The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT. The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.

Drug/Alcohol Involvement. The United States Military does not condone the illegal or improper use of drugs or alcohol. It is DOD's stated contention that illegal drug use and abuse of alcohol is:

(1) Is against the law.

(2) Violates the high standards of behavior and performance expected of a member of the United States Armed Forces.

(3) Is damaging to physical, mental, and psychological health.

(4) Jeopardizes the safety of the individual and others.

(5) Is fundamentally wrong, destructive to organizational effectiveness, and totally incompatible with service as a member of the U.S. Military.

(6) Is likely to result in criminal prosecution and discharge under other than honorable conditions.

All applicants are carefully screened concerning drug and alcohol involvement. As a minimum, you can expect the recruiter to ask:

a. "Have you ever used drugs?"

b. "Have you been charged with or convicted of a drug or drug related offense?"

c. "Have you ever been psychologically or physically dependent upon any drug or alcohol?"

d. "Have you ever trafficked, sold, or traded in illegal drugs for profit?"

If the answer to the last two questions is "yes," then you can expect to be ineligible for enlistment. If the answer to the first two questions is yes, then you can expect to have to complete a drug abuse screening form, detailing the specific circumstances of your drug usage. The military service will then make a determination as to whether or not your previous drug usage is a bar to service in that particular branch of the military. In most cases, a person who experimented with "non-hard" drugs in the past will be allowed to enlist. Anything more than experimentation may very well be a bar to enlistment. An "experimenter" is defined as:

.."one who has illegally, wrongfully, or improperly used any narcotic substance, marijuana, or dangerous drug, for reasons of curiosity, peer pressure, or other similar reason. The exact number of times drugs were used, is not necessarily as important as determining the category of use and the impact of the drug use on the user's lifestyle, the intent of the user, the circumstances of use, and the psychological makeup of the user. An individual whose drug experimentation/use has resulted in some form of medical, psychiatric, or psychological treatment; a conviction or adverse juvenile adjudication; or loss of employment does not fall within the limits of this category. For administrative purposes, determination of the category should be within the judgment of either the district or recruiting station commanding officer, aided by medical, legal, and moral advice, with information as available from investigative sources."

While not a "hard and fast" rule, one can expect that any admitted use of marijuana over five times, or any admitted use of "hard drugs," will be disqualifying.

In any case:

1. Dependency on illegal drugs is disqualifying.

2. Any history of drug use is potentially disqualifying.

3. Any history of dependency on alcohol is disqualifying.

Even if enlistment is authorized, many sensitive military jobs will be closed to individuals who have any past association with illegal drug or alcohol use.

As a minimum, recruits will undergo a urinalysis test when at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPs) for their initial processing, and again when reporting for basic training.

09-05-02, 05:32 PM
"To qualify as a Tier I graduate, the applicant should have had the same daytime course and graduation requirements; the same days, weeks and hours of attendance; and have earned the same valid high school diploma as earned by graduates of the traditional local public school system. Applicants whose education does not meet this description are usually categorized as Tier II. "

This essentially means you have to be (physically) in class the same number of hours each day as a traditional school. So, if your local H.S. is in session and students attend classes from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. (6.5 hours per day), your scchool must hold its classes for 6.5 hours each day. Likewise, if other students are attending classes for five days a week, a total of 180 days per school year, your school must have the same standard. If those same students get a H.S. diploma that is regulated by your state's Department of Education, your diploma must meet the same requirements (i.e. same classes). So, if your state or school board requires four years of English, you must have met the same requirement etc.

My other post to your thread directs you to have the local recruiter get an interpretation of your school's credentials. If the recruiting command is unsure of how to categorize your individual school, they can forward information to be reviewed by a higher headquarters.