PDA

View Full Version : Re-enlistment code

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 12:18 AM
I looked up my re-enlistment code and it's RE-3C, which says conscientious objector. I did 4 years and have an honorable discharge and I'm not trying to re-enlist so it probably doesn't matter....

spotts
08-04-15, 05:06 AM
They would never have allowed you to reenlist.

RE-3C- Reenlistment authorized by CMC only. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Conscientious Objector.

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 10:55 AM
They would have allowed me to re-enlist if I had wanted to before I got out. I know this for a fact because my command asked if I wanted to re-enlist. The separations guy said he could give me a different re-enlistment code, but since I didn't want to re-enlist I said I didn't care what code I got.

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 11:02 AM
And I wasn't a conscientious objector. It was because the Corps was coming down hard on hazing and that was one of the charges on my NJP. For the record I never actually hazed anyone. It was all in...

spotts
08-04-15, 11:33 AM
If you weren't a CC you should have never signed the DD214 stating that you were.

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 11:47 AM
Yea, because I knew what an RE-3C stood for off the top of my head. I'm also not sure why you have any reason not to take my word that I wasn't a conscientious objector. I got back from deployment with a week until my EAS. I had a lot of other more important things to do than look up re-enlistment codes.

spotts
08-04-15, 12:03 PM
If you weren't a CC then go through the process to get the RE code corrected.

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 12:35 PM
I think I need to send a DD 149 to the BCNR to appeal my RE code. Is this correct? The way my RE code was described to me at the time was that I was eligible for re-enlistment but I chose not to. He said something like, do you object to re-enlisting. I said yes since I didn't want to re-enlist. He could have just been screwing me over or maybe this is standard, I'm not sure.

spotts
08-04-15, 12:55 PM
Sounds like someone screwed you on your way out the door. heres a link to what you will need to do.

http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Agencies/OfficeofLegislativeAffairs/CongressionalCorrespondenceSection/BoardforCorrectionsofNavalRecords.aspx

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the link. I just talked to a recruiter who was more knowledgeable than the previous one I talked to. He said my RE code doesn't mean I was actually a conscientious objector and that there are a lot of different sub categories that go along with it.

Tennessee Top
08-04-15, 05:49 PM
On one side of the coin, it sounds to me, you are just curious about the code and not really concerned because you have no interest in ever reenlisting.

On the other side of the coin, it sounds like you are concerned enough to submit an appeal to the BCNR to have your RE code upgraded.

So, I'm confused about the entire thread.

ElTankerino
08-04-15, 08:12 PM
On one side of the coin, it sounds to me, you are just curious about the code and not really concerned because you have no interest in ever reenlisting.

On the other side of the coin, it sounds like you are concerned enough to submit an appeal to the BCNR to have your RE code upgraded.

So, I'm confused about the entire thread.

The reason I would like to get it changed is because of the negative association I have with the term "conscientious objector." A conscientious objector is someone who's a coward and I have no respect for them.

AlwaysWillBe
08-09-15, 10:46 AM
If you aren't going to re-enlist, then who besides you will know / take the time to look it up?

Tennessee Top
08-09-15, 11:25 AM
Nobody. Once they see "honorable discharge", that's all they'll care about.

ElTankerino
08-09-15, 12:43 PM
It's for me personally. I do a lot of things that nobody but me cares about. Same reason I stay in great physical shape. It's not like my job requires me to be in shape anymore. And in order to just be healthy I wouldn't need to workout as much as I do.

AlwaysWillBe
08-09-15, 07:27 PM
Might want to take a few minutes and update your profile.