PDA

View Full Version : Doogie Howser, USMC - 18-year-old college grad chooses Corps

thedrifter
01-13-04, 07:37 AM
Doogie Howser, USMC - 18-year-old college grad chooses Corps over civilian workforce
Submitted by: 8th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 2004112113033
Story by Staff Sgt. Ronna M. Weyland

Marine Corps Recruiting Station San Antonio(January 12, 2004) -- While most 18-year-old's are preparing for college, a high school age Texan has already graduated from one.

Billy Joe McCulloch received his Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Texas Lutheran University in December.

Now what? Grad school? No. Civilian job market? No.

McCulloch decided to enlist in the Marine Corps.

"I am tired of doing school work," said the Seguin, Texas native. "I am ready to go out and get dirty."

McCulloch skipped the sixth grade and scored in the top one percent of the nation on the Stanford Achievement Test in the seventh grade.

Despite being able to skip the sixth grade and start college a quarter of the way through his freshman year, McCulloch felt unchallenged.

"I don't really like school much," he said. "I like to do work with my hands."
So, why the Marine Corps and not a civilian job?

"My friends from college are getting jobs starting out at $50,000 a year," he said smiling. "But, I'm not in it for the money."
He said he is looking for the intangibles in life.

"I joined the Corps looking for a challenge, camaraderie and the pride of belonging," he added with a serious tone in his voice.

However, before he could enlist, the then-17-year-old college graduate had to get permission from his parents.

"It isn't everyday you have to get a PC (parental consent) from a college grad," said Gunnery Sgt. Samuel R. Ybarra, RSS Walzem recruiter.

"The family was very cooperative though, and asked a lot of questions about what their son was going to be doing." Ybarra added.
McCulloch said, "My parents would rather I go to graduate school, but they support my decision."

He is currently preparing to ship to recruit training at the end of January.

"He comes into the office Monday through Thursday to PT," said Ybarra. "He knew his time was limited and he wanted to be ready. He is motivated and very dedicated to what he wants to do."

McCulloch has been thinking about joining the Corps since he was 12-years-old.
"I have always liked what I have seen from the Marines," he said with pride.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004112114459/$file/SAT%20mccullochlow.jpg

Billy Joe McCulloch, far left, counts pull-ups with his recruiter GySgt. Samuel Ybarra during the San Antonio Spurs basketball game Jan. 3. McCulloch graduated college last month and enlisted in the Marine Corps at age 17. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Ronna M. Weyland

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/4C72F01A1D94E78385256E19005AB02C?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine:

mrbsox
01-13-04, 12:23 PM
Got an education AND Enlisting instead of Officer !!

Yep, the kids got brains AND can use 'em :banana:

Caesar Augustus
01-15-04, 11:46 PM
Haha. Who said you have to be an officer because you have a degree. He couldn't be an officer anyway could he seeing how you have to be 22 don't you and he's only 18

VMGRMech
01-18-04, 04:08 AM
If you've got a four year degree and enlist instead of becomming an officer you are doing yourself a dis-service