PDA

View Full Version : Receiving adverse fit rep

Westtoeast
07-14-15, 03:48 PM
Ok so I have only been a sergeant less than a year and i was sent to my advance school, where i was dropped for academic after going up on a review board. I have received an endorsement from the...

josephd
07-14-15, 09:25 PM
getting dropped or failing a formal school or PME school is an automatic adverse fitrep(as far as I am aware, except for physical injury reasons)

depends on your definition of "bouncing back" is, with the way Staff promotions and zones have been going recently you can say goodbye to being selected for Staff with an adverse fitrep.

josephd
07-14-15, 09:27 PM
you may want to ask a Gunny or 1st Sgt in your chain but I don't believe your command can give you an adverse fitrep for what happened somewhere else while detached. I think that has to come from the schoolhouse command

?????

Tennessee Top
07-15-15, 12:16 AM
Back in the day. One could always attach a rebuttal (statement) to an adverse fitrep - for what that's worth. The MCO on fitreps will cover this or you could ask your Admin Chief or 1stSgt (unless he's the one wanting to nail you). The saying used to be it takes 2 outstanding fitreps to make up for one bad one. Not sure how one can defend failing academics however - you either make passing grades or you don't (not subjective). I imagine the colonel's endorsement addresses this.

I recently read in the Marine Corps Times, it may be possible to recover from a bad mark/mistake (although most Marines today believe you can't). What one cannot recover from is blatantly ignoring or disobeying orders/policies - like the tattoo policy (the decorated/highly rated Sgt who was denied reenlistment recently because he had a sleeve tattoo for example).

Go to your admin shop and ask to see the MCO on fitreps. Read it carefully. It should have a chapter about adverse reports, rebuttals, etc. Also look to see if it addresses school/TAD/detached reports like josephd is talking about (can your command take any action with it). There is usually a "fitrep expert" (Admin Chief maybe) you may be able talk to. Another option may be your career planner - as far as how they feel this may effect your career or advice since they see many different situations and reactions from HQMC.

03Mike
07-16-15, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear that - but I believe that failing a PME school is an automatic adverse FitRep. The Corps and your command did not send you there to fail - but this isn't the death knell for promotion/re-enlistment/career. A lot depends on what you do now in response. The advice above about talking to your admin chief, your gunny, and your first sergeant is extremely valid. A rebuttal / attachment to your fitrep is appropriate in this case - and this is where the advice of senior SNCOs is important. This is where the endorsement from the school's CO would come into place as well as any extenuating circumstances related to why you went before the academic board. No excuses - own it, explain it, and move on to prove why this was an anomoly.

One "Oh-Sh!t" wipes out a hundred "attaboys" - but that doesn't mean that you can't recover and give up. You got knocked down, so now the command is watching how you get back up and carry yourself.

Not going to shine you on though - it'll be an uphill battle, but it's not out of reach.

Good luck

FistFu68
07-16-15, 10:28 AM
Right On 03...S/F that :thumbup:

MunkyVsRobot
07-16-15, 05:52 PM
you may want to ask a Gunny or 1st Sgt in your chain but I don't believe your command can give you an adverse fitrep for what happened somewhere else while detached. I think that has to come from the schoolhouse command

?????

I know I am a boot Sgt but I have paid attention to a few things about FitReps even though I have yet to receive one myself. Yes for failing a school you will receive an adverse fitrep wether they say you are good or not. You go to Sgt course and fail out youd receive an adverse you Unq the range you will receive an adverse.

I think like the only thing you dont get an adverse for failing out of is DI school.

josephd
07-16-15, 08:39 PM
I know I am a boot Sgt but I have paid attention to a few things about FitReps even though I have yet to receive one myself. Yes for failing a school you will receive an adverse fitrep wether they say you are good or not. You go to Sgt course and fail out youd receive an adverse you Unq the range you will receive an adverse.

I think like the only thing you dont get an adverse for failing out of is DI school.

yes, the point I was making though was that the FitRep has to come from that school house/Sgt Course command not parent command. just as if it wasn't adverse, that command would do your fitrep for that reporting period not your parent command

Citadel0602
08-15-15, 09:36 AM
I unfortunately had to write a couple adverse FitReps due to failing out of a technical school for some of my Sergeants. This is because under MCO P1610.7F (1) If the MRO is dropped or disenrolled from a formal course or schoolin less than 31 days the RS must complete an FD report and fully explain the
reason in section I. NOTE: Drops or dis enrollments for cause are adverse and
require the appropriate processing per Chapter 5.

The reason behind this is that each school seat costs money - the unit did not send you there to fail out. Talk to your 1stSgt about steps to recover from this process, its a black eye for sure- but you can recover... that is the most important thing you can do right now, dust off your shoulders and ensure you get a stellar fitness report for the next reporting period. Best of luck to you!

Westtoeast
09-17-15, 06:54 PM
Hey guys i appreciate everyones advice just an update did not recieve an adverse fitrep my GySgt was watching my back and kept me off of that wild train of my LTwho lost his kevelar and so i think it was like I am going to burn you to lol.

josephd
09-17-15, 07:46 PM
Hey guys i appreciate everyones advice just an update did not recieve an adverse fitrep my GySgt was watching my back and kept me off of that wild train of my LTwho lost his kevelar and so i think it was like I am going to burn you to lol.

Good $hit!...what Gunny's are for exactly