PDA

View Full Version : IRR to SMCR

Jersey0311
06-21-15, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,

Long story short, debating on going back into the Reserves.

I was w/ Lima Co 3/6 from 2008-2012, and my IRR contract is up this August. There's a reserve infantry unit in NJ Golf Co 2/25, I just don't know if I'd be able to join as a Corporal if they don't have any spots for E-4s.

To further complicate things I'm a brand new police officer and don't know what sort of mess I'd find myself in with trying to join the SMCR as a rookie whose still on probation.

Alternatively, does anyone know if I could go to one of the MP Co's that are with 4th LE Bn without having to go to MP School since I'm already a cop?

Is it realistic to maybe try out a drill weekend as a non-obligated guy to see if it's really worth it sometime before my contract is up? I heard it's a royal pain to get back in after I'm out of contract.

Also I have sleeve tattoos that were never documented on active duty. Would I still need a waiver to go SMCR?

I've been trying to get in touch with a PSR, but should I call the unit directly as well?

Thanks for the help!

cpl1142
06-21-15, 05:21 PM
I'm off contract trying to reenlist in reserves. Been out since 2009. PSR'S work at there own pace! I've been trying to reenlist for the past 2 years. My package is finally in the chute. Anyhow, tattoos might be your biggest pain. Maybe and possibly you can provide proof that you had them before and can get them grandfathered in. Fingers crossed. But first you need to go see a PSR and at least ask. You are in a better position than I am being still on contract so get a move on. I would say don't sweat the police/job issue. They are obligated by law to work with your reserve obligations. And depending on your unit they will work with you and your civilian job obligations as well. But brother take it from someone who is fitting his a** off to get back in, do the reserve thing, if you find it is a waste, get out. Worst thing is to look back and wonder.

cpl1142
06-21-15, 05:23 PM
Oh the MP thing: it's not impossible but it's hard to lay move since money is tight but it's all about when you try. Giving that we are in the middle of the fiscal year it's possible. Maybe extend your IRR contract a little then try to lay move when all the money is new. I missed on a 15k bonus because my PSR has a bad case of don't wants.

cpl1142
06-21-15, 05:25 PM
Yes do call the unit. Find out when they drill and go meet the 1stSgt. So them you want it so they can push the PSR'S for you. I finally got movement after I started calling the 1stSgt and hassling him.

Tennessee Top
06-21-15, 06:07 PM
As mentioned above, your first, and biggest hurdle, is just locating a PSR willing to work your package. They seem to be few and far between these days (for whatever reason). Good luck brother.

Jersey0311
06-21-15, 06:41 PM
I actually had one return a call last week from way back when I was first interested in the idea. At the time I told him it wasn't a good time, but I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if we can work something out. My biggest thing is the tattoo policy, since if I can't get a waiver, there's no point in pursuing the idea further.

So it's a good idea to call the unit direct as well?

devilbones2
06-23-15, 10:48 AM
I have been working the tattoo waiver for just about 5 years now. Good luck. I just got my package complete but I have been through about 7 PSRs and none of them wanted to do the work associated with a non-documented tattoo waiver. If you are serious I would call the unit and see if they have a PSR that they work with.