PDA

View Full Version : Lat move From Engine Mech

The Air Winger
06-07-15, 10:24 AM
this is question for all the more experienced Marines out there I'm an o-level f-18 engine mech and even though this is a great job i cant see my self staying in this MOS but I want to stay in the marine corps. I have been told by my gunny that lat moving in 2 and half years isnt likely and I might have to request it as an incentive if I am able to when I reenlist. For those in the field or knowledgeable in it is lat moving difficult this early in my career? any responses will help thank you

Zulu 36
06-07-15, 05:11 PM
I'm going to opine that your Gunny is right. No lat move until your first enlistment is up, you are OK'd for reenlistment and you use lat move as a reup incentive.

Good luck

Tennessee Top
06-07-15, 06:25 PM
There are a lot of rules concerning lat moves and the stars must align just right to get one approved. General rules for lat moves are: minimum 2 years time in grade and 2 years time on station (this is to get some of their investment back from sending you to F18 engine mech school and paying your travel to your current duty station - then they would have to do the same for your next formal school/change of duty station), plus have the GT score and security clearance required for the MOS you want to move into. Lat moves are a tool used to align MOS fields. Therefore, if your current MOS is undermanned, they won't let you leave it even more so. On the other side of the coin, they aren't going to let you move to a MOS already overpopulated either.

Since your MOS is so technical and you went to school a long time to learn it, they are going to want a bigger return on their investment (longer than the minimum 2 years TIG and time on station).

As already mentioned, Lat Moves are mainly used as a reenlistment incentive to keep someone from getting out. They can be approved in other cases but rarely.

Instead of talking to your Gunny, you need to go talk to your Career Planner. Good luck.

The Air Winger
06-07-15, 09:00 PM
thank you for the responses and help, ill talk to my career planner and see what i can do
Always Faithful

Tennessee Top
06-08-15, 08:07 AM
Let us know what you find out. Another Devil may have the same question and can search your topic.

The Air Winger
06-14-15, 08:30 PM
I will for sure thanks again