PDA

View Full Version : Camp Mujuk

hardisk
05-09-15, 02:05 AM
Hello fellow warfighters,

As you may have seen, I am popping up a little bit more on the site as the local MP and well frankly, I was curious to see who else has been stationed/visited the luxurious Camp Mujuk, South Korea and if you have what was it like while you were there? I am currently stationed here for the next year and wanted to hear your stories.

Semper Fi Marines

Tennessee Top
05-09-15, 07:26 AM
Does not sound familiar. Went to South Korea twice for annual Team Spirit training exercises but can't remember the name of the camp we stayed at. It was during the winter and the coldest I've ever been in my life. Here's a small piece of advice I learned the hard way: avoid getting on a bus full of South Koreans (they are all full of kimchi making the air you breathe deadly!).

FoxtrotOscar
05-09-15, 09:37 AM
I believe it's just a spelling and pronunciation error..

Camp Muchuk or Mujuk is near Pohang, South Korea and home of the 1st Korean Marine Div, Marines usually participate going through the ROK Mountain Warfare package after participating in Team Spirit and such...

I've had the pleasure of visiting there a couple of times and also at MWTC, California (Pickle Meadows)...

Cold Top, coming from the south.. yep.. it's coooold.... :cool:

Marine1955
05-09-15, 09:41 AM
Never heard of it. May have been renamed from another camp. Like Montford,N.C. now called Camp Johnson now..

FoxtrotOscar
05-09-15, 10:25 AM
Never heard of it. May have been renamed from another camp. Like Montford,N.C. now called Camp Johnson now..

Hmm, in order to know it, you would have to have been there...!!!

:nerd:

Marine1955
05-09-15, 10:50 AM
Well yes I was station at Montford Point for several months and lived in the old wooden barrack also.
We had a great time learning M.T. Skills..
Could walk to and from Barracks to J.Ville easy and stumble back at night..

FoxtrotOscar
05-09-15, 12:09 PM
Uh, read that again, I'm referring to Korea...!!!

Marine1955
05-09-15, 04:24 PM
Sorry didn't know about this camp was just referring to what happened at Montford point..
Thanks for informing me..Fox.I had never heard of it so Thank you..

hardisk
05-09-15, 09:31 PM
FoxtrotOscar, I am glad to see someone else has been here. Up until I had orders here I never knew it existed. mostly only Marines who have spent time in Oki know about this place. Top, every time I get on the bus here some old Korean woman tries to feed me kimchi and they always smell of it. I personally am not a fan of the smell or the taste of it haha. I got to experience some of the winter(having arrived here in January) the real test I believe will be come this winter. thank the lord for Buffalo Jackets.

FoxtrotOscar
05-09-15, 10:03 PM
Hardisk, you say your a MP, what is your role and duty while there..?? I agree years have passed and duty stations change with time...

I'm interested in what you will be doing there... Kinchee, cant even stand that smell to this day...

As for the winter, I spent the better part of winter there, between Dec through May...

hardisk
05-09-15, 10:34 PM
Yes I am an MP and we have the same role as MP's in any other base. provide general base security, with our Korean Security Guard counter parts, enforce traffic regulations, conduct courtesy patrols in town to ensure no Marines are in off limits area's ad last but not least act as fist responders for any incident that might happen aboard the instillation. Our job here is made extremely easy due to there being no dependents to worry about.

mexbearlll
05-11-15, 09:56 PM
I was there for Team Spirit and Freedom Banner, Jan -June of 84. As a BulkFuelMan. hardisk ,after our talk I looked Camp Mujuk and boy has it changed a lot!!! You have paved roads and Real Buildings instead of wooded huts and mud trails... Some of My best Liberty was in Pohang... I'll have to see if I can find some photos to post. S/F :devious:

hardisk
05-12-15, 03:11 AM
I will take a few photos from around base and post them up as well as of the town maybe i can help ya get some memories back and see the changes.

a2591
10-01-15, 12:16 AM
80's and 90's there, We only stayed in transit as we headed over to the ROK 1st MarDiv base or over to Posco Pier. Wooden huts, no electricity or heat and plenty of mud. Returning from our one evening liberty, found us in a taxi with a karaoke. They were still arguing about paying extra for singing along as I made it through the gate.