PDA

View Full Version : 0241 vs 0261

hortanium
05-08-15, 03:47 PM
I'm looking to re-up after being out a couple of years and am looking to change over to intel. Mainly I'm trying to find out what training consists of. I've been able to glean that 0261s spend about half of training on GIS and the other half on surveying. For 0241s I have found very little. I assume a lot of time is spent learning to identify objects in pictures but I'm curious if they spend time learning GIS. I understand if OPSEC precludes providing any of this info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

devilbones2
05-08-15, 04:50 PM
I am an 0261, I can answer questions if you like.

MunkyVsRobot
05-08-15, 07:08 PM
As a topite you will either do one of three things, do a lot of terrain anaylsis, a lot of survey or a lot of nothing as you dont have systems turned on.

as a 41 you will either do a lot of map packages or a lot of target packages or a lot of nothing because you dont have systems turned on.

I am a 61 at 2nd and we are leading the way for survey across the marine corps there are a lot of 41's leading the way for their MOS as well. Both train at the NGA respectively and both can come away with lucrative positions afterwards assuming you know something about the MOS you have chosen. But last I checked 0261 was closed out to lat movers so you may have to go to 0241 by default.

also bear in mind at the NGA 0261's learn a little bit about what 0241's do not the otherway around sure 41's do a little bit different of a skill set but 61's are jacks of all trades. though i am biased a little.

hortanium
05-09-15, 06:30 PM
I should specify that I am looking at doing this as reserve, if that has any bearing on lat moves. I'll also be graduating with a BS in geology in a year and wanted to utilize what I've learned when going back to the Corps. 0261 or 0241 looked like the best way to do that.

As far as terrain analysis is concerned, I assume it's largely identifying various terrain features and the impacts they may have, as well as producing updated maps of areas. Is this a semi-accurate assumption?

How much time is spent using GIS and would you say you gain a pretty good understanding of the program at the school?

Thank you both for your responses.

MunkyVsRobot
05-10-15, 09:19 AM
as for 0261 the school house is 7 months long divided into 2 parts first half is Geodetic survey and the second half is Terrain analysis. the first half is very math intensive and the second half is pretty strenuous as well.

within both of these mos' you can only learn so much you leave with a grasp of the concepts assuming you pay attention the whole time but not everything can be taught at the school house a lot of it is gained through experience.

ETA:

Just read your profile and notice you are an NCO i believe 0261 is closed to lat movers currently, you will need to speak with your career counselour to see if that is still the case.

A lot of this is due to the draw down, if you can lat move the stuff above still stands, i cant speak to what the 41's know but from what ive heard 0261 we learn a great deal of what the 31's and 41's learn but mainly wave tops

devilbones2
05-11-15, 08:13 AM
Where are you located? There are some reserve 0261 billets available, however I am not sure how the lat move process works. Have you spoken with a PSR? If you want to utilize you GIS skills than 0261 is the way to go.

hortanium
05-13-15, 03:11 PM
I am currently located in MA, which may make it difficult to join a unit as an 0261 since they are located in CO, VA and CA. I'm willing to make that commute because it's something I want to do and the training and skills would also greatly assist with work in the civilian world. I haven't talked to a PSR yet because I want to get back into shape before taking up his time.

devilbones2
05-14-15, 07:30 AM
I know the unit in VA and I am in the process of joining. I have been through the PSR process and can assist. One thing though is you need to start like now. How out of shape are you?

MunkyVsRobot
05-14-15, 03:51 PM
If 61 is the way you want to go id suggest brushing up on your math skills. The first 3 to 3 1/2 months is very math intensive. everything the machine is doing you learn how to do on a calculator, before you even touch a piece of equipment. What is your GT score? Im assuming if you are looking at 41 and 61 it might be high enough.

hortanium
05-14-15, 06:15 PM
@devilbones2: I'm out of shape enough that I know I can't do the required interview with a GySgt. My goal is to be within reqs in the next 3-4 months. Hopefully that doesn't ruin my chance but if it does I have no one to blame but myself.

@MunkyVsRobot: My GT score is 123. I will be sure to brush up on my math skills.

devilbones2
05-15-15, 06:03 AM
Well it looks like you have your work cut out for you. If I were you, I would be running every other day and PT everyday. Its really hard to do this as a civilian unless you are dedicated. You will need to stand out because the PSR really don't care about you, especially in MA. I was in the same situation, I lived in Amesbury (I am from Beverly) and was interviewing with the PSR at Ft. Devens. They straight up told me that they work for the unit they are with and looking to fill it with Marines that just got out and are still in the IRR. At Devens that's 03s and the support Marines that are attached and a small S2. You are going to have to really wow them in order for them to be willing to work with you and if you have any waivers, chances are very slim, but don't give up. I have been doing this do-loop for almost 6 years now. I can assist but please start getting in shape.
This is a small MOS and one thing that really sucks, as I am sure with an other MOS, is a lat-mover NCO that doesn't know dick and is ineffective. So start getting in shape today, not Monday or next week. Let me know if there I anything I can do to help.

hortanium
05-15-15, 12:46 PM
@devilbones2: I'm working with a trainer and do PT everyday. I just have to make up for a couple of years being far too lazy. I know I'll do it, just a matter of time. The last thing that I want to be is an NCO that knows nothing. If I can make the move I know there will be junior Marines, as well as NCOs that know a lot more than I do because they've been doing it. I think the trick will be learning from them without be a pain in the ass about it.

If I get to the 0261 GySgt interview is that essentially determining if I show potential and would be a good use of resources or is it more detailed than that?

devilbones2
05-18-15, 06:27 AM
I don't know anything about the interview, I was an 0261 on AD. The community is really small and most people know one another. A long time ago there was a divide between some of the platoons, but I think that is all over now. You sound like you know what you need to do, so now just do it. You have worn the uniform and can wear it again. Keep on and don't give up. PM me if you want my email address and I will give you as much info as I can.