PDA

View Full Version : Las Flores, 41 area query...

chulaivet1966
05-05-15, 07:19 AM
Reveille Marines....

The question:
Has Las Flores 41 area been totally rebuilt since my time there in 1967?
After my SE Asian picnic I was attached to M/4/13 M109s.

I was looking at a Googlearth map this morning trying to find my old barracks but no luck.
I do recall my barracks (2nd story) was perpendicular, but right next to the mess hall should that clue anyone.

Obviously, I figured it's changed greatly since then but if the mess hall is still in the same building/location that would guide my searching and orient me a bit.

Any comments welcome.....carry on.

SF

josephd
05-05-15, 09:32 PM
It wouldn't be a stretch to say yes...most of Las Flores is pretty new, in fact most of Pendleton(and Lejeune) is new/remodeled. All the old barracks everywhere have been condemned because of black mold and/or asbestos

chulaivet1966
05-06-15, 06:10 AM
Top of the mornin' Joe....

I figured little would recognizable from my era but thought I'd ask anyway.

In looking at the googearth image of Las Flores I actually do think I found where my old barracks was, where the mess hall was/is and of course I'd recall where the EM club was....it was just the other side of the walkway from my barracks. :)
The barracks itself does look totally rebuilt as you confirmed.

Thanks for commenting and have a good one.
SF

RAIDER0372
05-13-15, 01:04 PM
It has changed like you wouldn't believe. There is a new chow hall built there and a few new barracks also. 1st MRB(MARSOC) and 1st Recon also are in Las Flores now. I work out of 41 area so if you have anymore questions let me know.

chulaivet1966
05-13-15, 02:30 PM
First...thanks very much for indulging my query from my era there.
Second..yes..I have some other questions. :)

The first image is just to include the far western area which (back then) was just a small supply quonset hut where I had been on some working parties.
I recall taking that road west out to the hut.

The second image....where my barracks location was?
Where the chow hall was?
We had morning formation on the strip/path between the barracks and chow hall.
Of course, it was just a straight path then and we went right into chow after formation.
Where the (my old) barracks is there was a large grass area (80' or so) on it's north boundary running the length of the barracks.
I see that's been spruced up and segmented a bit.
I remember that large parking lot due west of the barracks.
More importantly then was the the EM club which was right across the large grassy area I described.

I would love to see some pics of that turf during my time so if you know any source that has some VN era photos I'd appreciate the guidance.

I quick story...
I returned from Nam in mid March '67 and after 20 day leave went to Las Flores.
I was there couple of months and adjusting to no one shooting at me.
Then...the Israeli ar broke out and bad news came down.
We were to be sent to the conflict....holy shvt!
None of us could believe it because many of us just got back from war.
We were all sent to staging and we were re-issued 782 gear, weapons, etc.
As luck would have it....while we were all on the tarmack in front of some large, white, two story old building (can't remember what location) the word came down the Six Day War had ended.
We were some damm happy campers hearing that.
Then...back to M/4/13 at Las Flores and the rest is history.

Thanks again chiming in with some assistance.
SF
clv

chulaivet1966
05-13-15, 02:32 PM
I realize the images aren't as large as I wanted and I had no luck figuring that out?

Thanks....