PDA

View Full Version : Looking to lat move to 2651.

devilbones2
04-20-15, 09:18 AM
Any 2651 on here want to share some wisdom? This is the job that I believe most aligns with my civilian job. However there are some blurred lines between the 2651 MOS and some of the 06 MOS out there. I was hoping that somebody on here could answer some questions. Thanks brothers and sisters.

st1d1979
04-20-15, 04:21 PM
humping prc-77 & ky-38 was no use in civilian world. battery operated grunt 79-82

marjesh
07-09-15, 03:19 PM
Sorry if this is a necro, but 2651's can do a lot of things.
If you end up at a RadBn, then you will do actual SigInt with radios and such.

I was put in an Intel Bn where 2651s work the S-6 vs 0651s as they only rate up to S not TS. In the S-6 you mainly do Troubleshooting, creating accounts for S and TS networks (NMCI or MITSC-W whatever they're called creates the Unclass aco****), this is usually the case if you end up in a G-2 or a Letter company (Our duty station list was about 3 pages long, every thing from every coast even stations at MARFORES, Quantico, Mead etc...)

51 NCOs and above are alos tapped out to work SSO and EKMS duties quite often.

We very much are a jack of all trades. We do radios, servers, networking, wire, phones, satcomm, etc...

We can also get called for the JCAC Course (Joint Cyber Analysis Course) I don't have much info as I haven't done it, yet.

If you want to be a computer guy and get ahead on say a degree in Computer Science and do that when you get out, go the 0651 route, if you want to touch everything and more and move into a cyber security role you should either go 2651 then hit the JCAC route or go 0689 which is really hurting for people.

A lot of Marines don't get on well with 2651 latmovers because "muh promotion spots" but what do they know. Many 51s get out after their first enlistment, so if you are reupping and know your stuff and are a good well rounded Marine, SSgt is basically guaranteed. I've yet to see a single 51 who wasn't forced out because of weight or NJPs that stayed in and didn't pick up by their 7-8 year mark. I just looked at MOL and the most senior Sgt's AFADBD are 2 from 2005, 2 from 2006, 7 from 2007, and then everything else is 2008 and up and the vast majority of the DORs are 2012 or more recent, which only about 10-15 Sgts have DORs prior to 2012.

Sources: 2 years at Intel Bn
Deployed as part of SSCT with SPMAGTF
2651 by trade.