PDA

View Full Version : Meeting w/ a recruiter

22DevilPup87
09-03-02, 08:45 PM
I have some questions about contacting a recruiter. I know there's a recruiter not far from where I live. I even know the name of the street it's located on, however, I can't find the phone number anywhere. Because of parental issues it'd make life easier if I could contact a recruiter versus having one contact me first. Is there anyway I can get the phone number? (I called 1-800-MARINES and they wouldn't give me the number ... they would only allow a recruiter to contact me.)

Is it ever too early to contact a recruiter? I'm 15 and plan to enlist in a little under 2 years, as soon as I turn 17 for I'll be graduating high school a few weeks before my 17th birthday. Is it too soon?

I know first impressions count. I'm out of shape and twenty pounds over the max. ship weight for my height, though I am working out and losing weight. I'm starting early so by the time enlistment time rolls around I'll be ready. However, I don't want to make a bad impression. Should I wait a few months to make my first contact until I meet the weight requirement and am in better shape?

Knowing how much first impressions mean (especially when the impression is made upon a Marine I'll be answering to for a long while), do you have any advice for the first meeting?

One last thing, are there any book suggestions? I saw lots of them on this site, but do you have any you'd personally recommend?

Thank you for all your help (and all your time).

Jess

Cynrose
09-07-02, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure if I'm qualified to reply to this question but I thought I would explain my situation and that might encourage you to see your recruiter.

I am 21 yrs old and I have to lose weight myself to join. But not no 20lbs I wish that would be a dream come true to be that close. I have more along the lines of 150lbs to lose. I called a recruiter to get my max weight limit for my height and I got the information. I even told my recruiter I was quite big and had to lose a lot of weight. It turns out they were going to have a DEP function that day. I was invited and they played speed ball (foot ball and soccar combo). Well I played and did their exercises as much as I could. And dragged my sorry butt home.

Four months later ---- I still go to the poolee functions. I have lost 25lbs. I have 5 great recruiters that are encouraging me. I had a private talk with the one recruiter who invited me down to the function the first time a while back... he said after my first time there he never expected me to show up again. Appearantly I have impressed him. Because I do keep showing up. (And doing 4 miles walk/jog must have done it also :D ... even though the other guys ran it.)

So I know first impressions are important... I do believe the overall impression counts too. If you went to your recruiter showed him that you want this with all your heart and you are committed to it they will be happy to help you in achieving your goal. Plus you maybe able to join their local DEP meetings. Great place to go and have fun... while they thrash you.

As for book recommendations you might want to look into:
Making the Corps by Thomas E. Ricks
Into the Crucible by James B. Woufle
The United States Marine Corps Workout
and just for the heck of it I also read:
Boot by Daniel da Cruz (about bootcamp back in the 80s)

Sorry for this being so long winded.. I never meant for it to be.

Keep up with your goals and good luck!

Cynrose

wrbones
09-07-02, 03:56 AM
Sounds like ya got the heart for it! Keep pluggin' away! Ask those boys about a diet for ya too, they might be able to help!. Losin' weight is a trick for some folks. Watch what ya eat, exercise every day and drink plenty of fluids ( Leave the sodas alone! LOL ) I have the opposite trouble myself, if I ain't careful, I end up losing too much! But fer me, if I'm busy, i.e. exercising and at my ideal weight, I can eat anything! Keep on exercisin' and start the cardio vascular as soon as ya can! That's the ones that keep the weight off! Don't eat more than til yer satisfied, too! Always ask yerself if ya really need seconds! Stay away from snacks, too! Go with the fruits and veggies fer snacks if there's anyway to do it at all!

Take a look at the CMC's recommended reading list, too! Lots of good things to read there!

Good luck! Sounds like ya got a plan!

Cynrose
09-07-02, 04:22 AM
Thanks wrbones!

Actually my recruiter (the one that invited me I consider him my primary recruiter) SSgt. Karevich actually got in touch with a gym owner in a neighboring city and he is now my "trainer" he gave me a new meal plan to follow. He is a body builder so I trust him lol.

I actually exercise daily... I was bad for a few months that why it was only 25lbs instead of 40 like I was hoping but my own fault and it's time to make up for it. I went to the gym today and did light weights and 60 min on the treadmill. Then I came home and a few hours later did 30 mins on my exercise bike. I have NO excuse for not being on it when I'm in my room reading a book or watching tv in here. Now if I could only find a way to be on the 'puter and bike I would be skinny no time! hehe

I do stay away from sodas and bad snacks! My snack food is an apple if I'm hungry. But I'm allowed to eat 6 small meals a day. 3 of the "meals" consist of protien shake and a banana/apple or one of those protien bars. And I actually like them! lol

I have a list of good carbs and bad carbs, good sugars and bad sugars... quite a big list my "trainer" gave me so I'm doing good! My goal this month is 10lbs. And I'm on my way.

I really should get to bed... I plan on getting up early for quick workout in the morning. Then later my workout partner wants to go to the gym... hehe. I actually enjoy the gym now. lol

Okay this turned out to be too long again. Sorry.

Thanks for the idea on the CMC list I have it and forgot about it... I need some new books to read... and those will do nicely!

Cynrose

Sixguns
09-07-02, 07:15 AM
Send me a PM with the recruiting office's location and I will reply with the phone number to that office.

Barrio_rat
09-07-02, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Cynrose
... As for book recommendations you might want to look into:
Making the Corps by Thomas E. Ricks
Into the Crucible by James B. Woufle
The United States Marine Corps Workout
and just for the heck of it I also read:
Boot by Daniel da Cruz (about bootcamp back in the 80s)...

"Back in the 80's".. what is that? Ancient times? Just after the Legions of Rome and a little before Spain became the most powerful nation on earth? Good Lord, I knew I was getting old, but 'back in the 80's? Now, if ya brought up when bones went through... way back in the 70's when they had them super wide collars that could lift a normal man in a strong wind and them bell bottom jeans.. I could understand the comment.

LOL... I guess I must be gettin a bit old.. but, back in the 80's... there's a phrase that's gonna stay with me a while... Well, remember this... back in the 80's we had Regan as Commander in Cheif!

Barrio_rat
09-07-02, 09:57 AM
I was also a fat body... even had to do the PCP thing. That's Physical Conditioning Platoon. There were other names.. some apt, some not.. Wish the DEP program involved the workouts like they do today. They started that a few years after I went in. It's a good thing. Helps those that would not be able to make it down to weight in Boot Camp, get and maintain physical fitness before they ship out. Good luck to ya. Stick to your plan and the work out schedule, between that and desire, you'll do fine.

22DevilPup87
09-07-02, 06:35 PM
Thank you all for replying.

I can't tell you how much the people on this board have helped me.

Cynrose - Thanks for the book recommendations. Also, thank you for telling me about yourself. Your motivation is inspiring and now I see that if I leave an outstanding overall impression the first impression might not be so important.

wrbones
09-08-02, 01:41 AM
Drifter, IV, Sparrowhawk, Tuda and Flatfoot and them remember when Christ was a Corporal! Now THAT's old!

22DevilPup87
09-08-02, 09:21 AM
Ha ha.

Just my opinion:
I'm young and I don't think "back in the 80's" I was born in the 80's ... doesn't seem like a long time ago to me.

Cynrose
09-08-02, 01:12 PM
Okay sorry everyone! Didn't mean to make it seem THAT old. Just meant compared to today's bootcamp there are quite a lot of differences. hehe

I am to from the 80s ... I was born in '81 so I know it wasn't that long ago.

But considering the book was published in 1987 its older then some of my cousins ;) if not maturity wise a few age wise hehe.

Cynrose