PDA

View Full Version : Questionable decisions, lead to questions.

0481SemperYut
03-22-15, 09:49 PM
Short and sweet to the point, the less back story the better.

1. Can i be ORDERED to go to NMCRS and create a budget.

2. Can members of my chain of command run a credit check on me without my authorization or knowing?

Any help will be appreciated, thank you ahead of time. If this isn't in the right section please let me know, i'm new to the site. thanks

Tennessee Top
03-22-15, 10:14 PM
Would help if we knew what NMCRS is.

0481SemperYut
03-22-15, 10:22 PM
Navy Marine Corps Relief Society

http://www.nmcrs.org/

cpl1142
03-22-15, 10:51 PM
I can't be 100% accurate but I would like to think yes to the budget and no to the credit check. But they can probably open an investigation if they feel you have become financially wreckless and a liability to the Corps. The investigators will certainly be able to search your credit. Best bet is to remedy any situations before it gets that bad.

Tennessee Top
03-22-15, 11:40 PM
Easy answer - make an appointment at base legal and ask a lawyer (don't rely on us sea lawyers here).

Don't remember ever running a credit check on anybody but I had plenty of my Marines make budgets and bring their balanced checkbooks into me to show they were following them. Don't know about your situation, but these were generally junior Marines with multiple dependents and creditors calling the command for relief. If that indeed describes your situation best advice I can give to you is get it squared-away NOW. Things will only go from bad-to-worse. Good luck.

josephd
03-22-15, 11:43 PM
Yes to both but I believe you have to be made aware of the credit check. It's as easy as running a background/security check on you which your command is able to do. Like Cpl1142 pointed out, they would have no reason to do so unless you are having some sort of financial issues

So....the question now is, how many allotments do you have? and how much debt are you in?

cpl1142
03-23-15, 12:11 AM
Better yet Sgt, perhps he should tell us how much debt your "friend" has or how many allotments your "friend" might have? LOL.

Best bit of advice, be up front, own up to what you may havedone, seek assistance, and accept the consequences. At the same time, don’t runaround raising red flags about yourself. If you are barely getting by then getby and work towards getting yourself in a better situation. Seek help if it’sbad enough. Funny thing about the Corps is if you ask for help, no harm nofoul, but if you get caught then that’s your six. But if you are a PFC ridingaround in a corvette, don’t even stress NCIS is already watching you. LOL

0481SemperYut
03-23-15, 12:14 AM
I don't have any allotments personally, I handle my issues on a big boy level (meaning I live within my means). Its rather a fellow junior marine is pending charges unrelated to financial neglect and...

cpl1142
03-23-15, 12:26 AM
It would definitely be an answer his lawyer can give him.And if need be his lawyer can look into it. I dunno how yall operate but in myunits with NJP you are charged and immediately brought to legal...

Tennessee Top
03-23-15, 12:46 AM
Your "friend" needs to lawyer-up quick. He is in somebody's crosshairs.

fl1946
03-23-15, 01:37 PM
And FORGET about filing a complaint against your command accessed your records illegally...unless you want to stand guard in Fairbanks, Alaska for the term of your enlistment.

advanced
03-23-15, 03:13 PM
Back in the day you could always ask for orders to the Nam, surely there is something similar today.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b659405e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Marine1011
03-23-15, 03:48 PM
"The less back story the better". Hmmm.

MunkyVsRobot
03-23-15, 04:47 PM
the whole thing is suspect. the OP is good with money yet he is being made to do a budget and see the navy marine corps relief society because a junior marines credit history just happened to fall into the hands of his plt sgt... Does any bit of that make even the remotest sense?

Do you have a clearance? If the answer is yes which most marines do have some sort of clearance sometimes it just isnt high so being you have a clearance or may have a higher one yes i could see them running a credit check if it was really your credit history that fell into their hands.

And yes they can make you create a budget its called personal financial management worksheet, I have seen entire platoons have to do one because of someones **** up.

im still going with this sounds suspect.

Tennessee Top
03-23-15, 04:53 PM
There is more to this story than we'll ever know for sure.

Give partial info - get partial answers.

Kegler300
03-23-15, 04:57 PM
All Marine are the subject of a NACLC. One of the adjudicative guidelines used to determine eligibility for a secret clearance is Financial Considerations. If any of the following are the reason for this individual's financial issues, then the command is required to submit an incident report via the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS).

Guideline F:
Financial Considerations

18. The Concern. Failure or inability to live within one's means, satisfy debts, and meet financial obligations may indicate poor self-control, lack of judgment, or unwillingness to abide by rules and regulations, all of which can raise questions about an individual's reliability, trustworthiness and ability to protect classified information. An individual who is financially overextended is at risk of having to engage in illegal acts to generate funds. Compulsive gambling is a concern as it may lead to financial crimes including espionage. Affluence that cannot be explained by known sources of income is also a security concern. It may indicate proceeds from financially profitable criminal acts.

19. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include:

(a) inability or unwillingness to satisfy debts;

(b) indebtedness caused by frivolous or irresponsible spending and the absence of any evidence of willingness or intent to pay the debt or establish a realistic plan to pay the debt.

(c) a history of not meeting financial obligations;

(d) deceptive or illegal financial practices such as embezzlement, employee theft, check fraud, income tax evasion, expense account fraud, filing deceptive loan statements, and other intentional financial breaches of trust;

(e) consistent spending beyond one's means, which may be indicated by excessive indebtedness, significant negative cash flow, high debt-to-income ratio, and/or other financial analysis;

(f) financial problems that are linked to drug abuse, alcoholism, gambling problems, or other issues of security concern.

(g) failure to file annual Federal, state, or local income tax returns as required or the fraudulent filing of the same;

(h) unexplained affluence, as shown by a lifestyle or standard of living, increase in net worth, or money transfers that cannot be explained by subject's known legal sources of income;

(i) compulsive or addictive gambling as indicated by an unsuccessful attempt to stop gambling, "chasing losses" (i.e. increasing the bets or returning another day in an effort to get even), concealment of gambling losses, borrowing money to fund gambling or pay gambling debts, family conflict or other problems caused by gambling.

Phantom Blooper
03-23-15, 06:15 PM
which most marines do have some sort of clearance
he only clearance the grunts I knew in my era had was a clear field of fire......

advanced
03-23-15, 07:17 PM
And many times we didn't even have that. Just saying

Marine1011
03-23-15, 07:23 PM
Of course it's suspect, a lot of threads are, but we accept them as fact, when it is probably, a lot of times, a Marine on watch somewhere enjoying a laugh as he reads our answers to his posts. Been going on for years.

Tennessee Top
03-23-15, 10:40 PM
Well. Now I just feel violated.

Old Marine
03-24-15, 07:13 PM
Do not know about today, but used to be if the C.O. received a letter of indebtness from anyone, it was katie bar the door. Probably not that way today. Lots of coddeling.