PDA

View Full Version : 2111 Looking For A Change

MendelBomb
03-19-15, 11:09 PM
Good evening, Gents,

I finished up my enlistment back in November of last year. I got out as a Sergeant and was a 2111 Small Arms Repair Technician (Armorer). After two deployments, I was really tired of my job. I had some questions regarding the reserves if theres any recruiters or prior service recruiters on here who might have some answers, as well as get some opinions.

I decided to get out and persue college because of a long term goal of mine which I didn't want to slip away if I stayed in. I was also sick of running armories. I was good at it, but honestly, I couldn't take it anymore. I loved being a Sergeant though.

I find myself missing a lot of the Corps now, as I know a lot of people do when they get out. Basically, I wanted to see if it was possible to lat-move to another MOS in the reserves from inactive duty. I still want to go to college, but if I can do both, I would be very happy.

As far as an MOS field, I know I will probably get a lot of flak for this, and I don't blame anyone. I was wondering if it was possible, how bad of a transition it would be to infantry. I am tired of being a POG. I know it can especially be a tough switch to infantry as an NCO, especially a Sergeant, into something so coveted and demanding, but I really would want it more than anything else. I just want to know if it's possible.

Thanks all for the help. As always, Rah.

josephd
03-20-15, 04:29 PM
Yes it is most definitely possible, the MOS you get in the reserves is based on whatever unit you go to/that is local to you. If it is an infantry unit then you could possibly become an infantry Marine(depends on seats available and how senior of a Sgt you are(not going to send a SSgt or Staff select to SOI/ITB).

MendelBomb
03-20-15, 05:34 PM
Yes it is most definitely possible, the MOS you get in the reserves is based on whatever unit you go to/that is local to you. If it is an infantry unit then you could possibly become an infantry Marine(depends on seats available and how senior of a Sgt you are(not going to send a SSgt or Staff select to SOI/ITB).

I'd still have a good while before picking up Staff.

josephd
03-20-15, 10:00 PM
I'd still have a good while before picking up Staff.

ok...yeah, if there is an infantry unit in your area you should be able to talk to the PSR with them and can get you introduced to the I&I staff to let you know if they have and seats/billets available for you to join them