PDA

View Full Version : Reserves to Drill Instructor

cpl1142
03-19-15, 03:20 PM
Ladies, Gents, and All Others, I'm going to keep this simple. Anyone know anyone who has gone from reserves to Drill Instructor? Specifically do you have to go AR then apply for DI or can you apply for DI while in USMCR?

Tennessee Top
03-19-15, 04:11 PM
Never heard of it. Talk to your Inspector-Instructor.

cpl1142
03-19-15, 04:52 PM
Thanks MSgt. Plan on it. I try to get word on such matters from many places to see who is accurate and who is guessing.

devilbones2
03-19-15, 06:45 PM
This is from FY 14:
http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/MessagesDisplay/tabid/13286/Article/143741/fy14-active-reserve-drill-instructor-screening.aspx

josephd
03-19-15, 09:59 PM
You do not have to come from AR for DI duty, go talk with your Ops Chief(I&I side) at your unit, if there is slots open he should know and can tell you how to get it....Mine just asked me this last month if I was interested in going

cpl1142
03-20-15, 08:09 AM
That's what I needed to know! Thanks gents!... I got time. I am/will only be a Cpl as soon as I reenlist back onto contract. Should be any day now.

josephd
03-22-15, 05:23 PM
That's what I needed to know! Thanks gents!... I got time. I am/will only be a Cpl as soon as I reenlist back onto contract. Should be any day now.

did you fall off contract completely??.....as in wasn't even in the IRR any longer?.....because if so I highly doubt you will be eligible to become a DI once you re-enlist in the reserves. The PSR/the reserve unit will more than likely require you to sign a 2-3 year obligation at that unit for a specific BIC which will not allow you to go anywhere else to do anything for that time period.

cpl1142
03-22-15, 05:46 PM
That's correct Sgt. I understand that fact. Supposedly there is a bonus for my BIC as well but I don't hold my breath on those matters. I know its a 3 yr obligation. My biggest "pro" is that my DOR will start the day I swear in so it just all depends on where I am in three years. (probably a Sgt with some decent TIG) I know it sounds cookoo, from civvy to DI but I'm just exploring options so I can have a game plan. I've been all over the place. I've been regular active, activated in IRR, and even did a tour as a dependent. And soon to be reservist. It just all depends on what doors are open to me and if I am a good fit.

josephd
03-22-15, 06:45 PM
That's correct Sgt. I understand that fact. Supposedly there is a bonus for my BIC as well but I don't hold my breath on those matters. I know its a 3 yr obligation. My biggest "pro" is that my DOR will start the day I swear in so it just all depends on where I am in three years. (probably a Sgt with some decent TIG) I know it sounds cookoo, from civvy to DI but I'm just exploring options so I can have a game plan. I've been all over the place. I've been regular active, activated in IRR, and even did a tour as a dependent. And soon to be reservist. It just all depends on what doors are open to me and if I am a good fit.

ok, good...just making sure you understand how it works. I shot myself in the foot by re-enlisting into a BIC with a bonus at my unit and not being able to take orders with WWP and MARFORPAC. Then like I mentioned before my Ops Chief asked me last month if was interested in going to DI school but couldn't really because I was on contract obligation to the unit

cpl1142
03-22-15, 07:03 PM
I bumped into a SSgt in the AR a few weeks ago and I asked him about the bonus situation. He kinda made it seem as if the bonus doesn't necessarily stop you from doing other things like that. And as I understand it, in the instance of DI, you would do your tour, 3 years or what have you, and then return to your home station as a reservists. The SSgt who seemed pretty knowledgeable in the these matters made it seem its as if you can go do your DI "thing" return to your unit and finish out your obligated time. It makes sense to me. Going do a DI tour or something along those lines isn't like your A) leaving the reserves B) going active or C) attempting to switch services. Something like that I can see the Corps saying No.

cpl1142
03-22-15, 07:09 PM
Sgt, was the obligated time due to a bonus or is that the general deal with or without bonus? It crossed my mind when he sent me the bonus paperwork. Is the money worth closing doors? But if I'm going to only be allowed to drill for 3 years then its a no-brainer, take the money.

josephd
03-22-15, 07:18 PM
Sgt, was the obligated time due to a bonus or is that the general deal with or without bonus? It crossed my mind when he sent me the bonus paperwork. Is the money worth closing doors? But if I'm going to only be allowed to drill for 3 years then its a no-brainer, take the money.

It was obligated because of the bonus and it was into a staff BIC, you can/should be able to re-enlist without a bonus/obligation. You can also re-enlist into the IRR, the only issue with that is if you are drilling somewhere and they don't have a need for you there they can make you leave/check out.

I don't really regret doing it but there was alot of doors open to me to go do other things in the Corps when my first contract/obligated time was up that I couldv'e taken advantage of that I can't do now because of my re-enlistment.

josephd
03-22-15, 07:24 PM
I bumped into a SSgt in the AR a few weeks ago and I asked him about the bonus situation. He kinda made it seem as if the bonus doesn't necessarily stop you from doing other things like that. And as I understand it, in the instance of DI, you would do your tour, 3 years or what have you, and then return to your home station as a reservists. The SSgt who seemed pretty knowledgeable in the these matters made it seem its as if you can go do your DI "thing" return to your unit and finish out your obligated time. It makes sense to me. Going do a DI tour or something along those lines isn't like your A) leaving the reserves B) going active or C) attempting to switch services. Something like that I can see the Corps saying No.

Yeah you can still go and do other things but you run the risk of having to pay that bonus back. A friend of mine(SSgt) had to pay his back when he took AD augment orders to go fill a Plt Sgt. billet at a 2nd MLG unit in Camp Lejeune....it doesn't close the doors completely.

I guess it all really depends on how your reserve unit wants to handle it, they can technically leave you in their units T/O while you go fill orders elsewhere which would allow you to go do what you want.....OR they could be a-holes about it, make you check out, drop you from their T/O/muster, and then have to pay your bonus back

cpl1142
03-22-15, 07:41 PM
Appreciate the info Sgt. Obviously, I'm not gonna swear in, show up to drill, and start requesting all kinds of orders. But in time I will let it be known that I want to approach every avenue that will make me a better Marine and serve the needs of the Corps.