PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Duty

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 02:52 PM
Thank goodness we have a recruiter on this site now. We had a couple before, but that was long ago. If you're like me, you know that recruiters recruit people, they evaluate them, explain MOSs to them, sign them up, ship them out. That's about it, as far as my knowledge goes. I ran the idea of this thread by our resident recruiter USMCARivera, and asked him if he approved of it, then I would start it. I didn't want to open up a huge discussion about someone's MOS without even knowing if he wished to talk about these things in some detail. Given the numbers of questions in Ask A Marine section of this forum, this thread could come in handy, information-wise, not just for wannabes and Marine friends, but for Marines of all eras who just have/had no way of knowing exactly what recruiters do and don't do.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 02:58 PM
How long is the school, what does it entail, where is the school, how do you get chosen to go to a particular recruiting station, what do you have to learn, what research must you do, and on and on and on.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 02:59 PM
I don't think poolees etc can POST here, and I'm trying to find out now if they can read what's posted here.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 03:14 PM
And in my haste to get this thread started, I mentioned that recruiting duty is an MOS, it is not, it is an assignment.

SGT7477
03-17-15, 08:56 PM
I can tell you one thing Dave, our DI's hated recruiters,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 08:58 PM
Really? Seriously? Never heard of that, Ronnie.---oh you mean for even SENDING the scumbags to PI or SD in the first place??? LOL

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 08:59 PM
I found out that poolees CAN read this section, but perhaps cannot post here. I wanted this to be for them too. But at least they can read what's here.

Tennessee Top
03-17-15, 09:00 PM
There are career recruiters. I assume that means their primary MOS changes to whatever a career recruiter's MOS is. There are also career recruiting officers (I have a friend who is currenty one as a CWO4).

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 09:01 PM
Ah, did not know that, Top---in your long and varied career, did you have anything to do with recruiting? I don't think so, re your profile.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 09:02 PM
I know a couple of guys that got an early out, or EAS or whatever the technical name is for it, and they in fact were sent to work at recruiting stations for awhile, prior to getting discharged. Just...

Tennessee Top
03-17-15, 09:05 PM
Negative. Had orders to recruiters school coming off MSG duty but the MSGBn commander wanted my butt back at the schoolhouse in Quantico so got them canc'd.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 09:07 PM
So you came close. I'm actually interested in the whole concept of recruiting, and that's why I asked USMCARivera about this thread, and he was certainly all for it---it's an interesting topic, the ins and outs of recruiting. We all know how it was back in my day---no choice of MOS except "Aviation Guaranteed". Classification tests taken in boot camp, combined with Needs of the Corps, that determined what your MOS would be. There was zero, absolutely zero choice about it. It made things simpler for everyone.

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 09:12 PM
Mongoose (Billy) has a good recruiter story. Way back when, he was just inquiring about joining the Corps. Two recruiters ended up driving to his house about an hour and a half away from their office, put him in a van, equipped with table and chairs, had him fill out paperwork, and by the time they got to Dallas his azz was signed up and ready for shipment. It was incredible. All voluntary of course, but the high pressure salesmanship thing was used in all its splendor. LOL

Tennessee Top
03-17-15, 09:14 PM
GOOGLED it. Career Recruiter MOS 8412 was established in 1992. The Career Recruiter Warrant Officer MOS is 4810. My friend who is a 4810 is the Operations Officer at District HQ in St Louis (I believe is where he said he's at).

USMC 2571
03-17-15, 09:16 PM
Interesting---thanks, Top.

josephd
03-17-15, 11:09 PM
Recruiting is something I would never want to do. I know a few recruiters, some absolutely hate it and can't wait to go back to the fleet..others love it. I'd rather go be a drill instructor or even better a combat instructor.

SGT7477
03-18-15, 07:58 PM
Really? Seriously? Never heard of that, Ronnie.---oh you mean for even SENDING the scumbags to PI or SD in the first place??? LOL

Yup if the platoon couldn't get nothing right oh ya they would knock the recruiters, lol, Semper Fidelis.

Tennessee Top
03-23-15, 01:15 AM
This is something I'm curious about.

With all the rumblings about ISIS targeting active duty military personnel, and Marines told not to wear uniforms off base, while traveling, etc. What are the current guidelines for recruiters wearing uniforms in the performance of their duties? Being conspicuous comes along with the job.

I have a Navy Petty Officer niece who is a recruiter in Ohio. She had to drive to her district headquarters to reenlist recently. They instructed her to bring her uniform with her and change into it for the reenlistment ceremony. Then, change back into civilian gear for the ride back home. If they don't want her on the street in uniform, how's she supposed to do her job?