PDA

View Full Version : Check this out...

CAS3
01-09-04, 03:20 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040103-9999_1n3green-jmp.html

:marine:

Sparrowhawk
01-09-04, 04:27 PM
This reminds me of the time I asked my ex-wife to send me some rain gear when I was in Nam.

She send me a fluorescent yellow rain coat.

TracGunny
01-09-04, 04:31 PM
While in Mogadishu in '93-'94, we left our desert boots on ship and wore our black leather boots to distinguish us from the Army, who wore the desert browns. The Somali's did not mess with us as much as they did the Army personnel. We were told by PsyOps that the warring clans knew to stay away from the 'black shoes'.

Our prudent and ample use of 'Somali-be-good sticks' early in the deployment reinforced the perception; undoubtedly saving some Marine (and Somali) lives.

Anyone remember the "yellow legs" (mud-stained leggings) of Korean War lore?

CAS3
01-09-04, 04:31 PM
Almost as good as a bullseye when you go out deer hunting!!

Lock-n-Load
01-09-04, 05:38 PM
:marine: Hell, yes, TracGunny....all Korean War Marines were proud to have the WW2 leggings...really kept sand/dirt out and were warm too in winter scenes..I only noticed the leggings in the FMF oufits 1950-1953...those black jack/boots came in then[1953]...they were very good also...way back in yesteryear...the North Korean/gooks didn't know whether to "shlt or go blind"...up against the"yellow legs"...Semper Fi :marine:

TracGunny
01-09-04, 06:13 PM
...a salute to you, Lock-n-Load!

VMGRMech
01-09-04, 06:21 PM
Its before my time, but I also understand that the white side out rolled sleeves of the Marines in Somalia also identified us as troops that you didn't want to **** off.

True or not? Can some one who was there tell us?

Why can I write the word pi$$? WTF?

TracGunny
01-09-04, 06:27 PM
Its before my time, but I also understand that the white side out rolled sleeves of the Marines in Somalia also identified us as troops that you didn't want to **** off. Not sure; while I was there with BLT 1/9 ('93-'94) we wore our sleeves rolled down as a rule - protection from the sun and other Somalia nasty’s.

Lock-n-Load
01-09-04, 06:41 PM
:marine: Salty salute right back at you, too...we "track/ vehicle" Marines stick together like alum...on you know what!!.....Gung-Ho :marine: