PDA

View Full Version : The art of Spit Shining...

Sender
01-09-04, 09:52 AM
The art of Spit shining.....where will it go? I remember the days and days of sweat just to prepare for that inspection. I remember the spit shine parties we had to teach each other our spit shining "secrets". Now that the boots no longer require black shoe polish will the long standing tradition of spit shining disappear?

Semper Fi,

Sender

SGTDBG0411
01-09-04, 10:15 AM
MAYBE IN THE NEW MARINE CORPS BUT I STILL SPIT SHINE MY DRESS SHOES AND BOOTS. I GET A LOT OF COMPLIMENTS TOO. WHY WASTE A TALENT THAT IS STILL PART OF OUR MARINE TRADITIONS?

Sender
01-09-04, 11:36 AM
My buddy is a Senior Drill Instructor with Echo Company in San Diego and ever since the transition to the new style of boots and cammies some Drill Instructors haven't taught the recruits how to spit shine. My buddy still does it for S&G's because he's just like that. Hard Corps

Dvan
01-09-04, 12:36 PM
What kind of wax did you use? We used some stuff in a big blue can ( as I remember it) called Lincoln Wax. We bought it at the PX on Parris Island. The wax was black with a slight blue tinge to it and we'd heat it using a (paper) match. It would shine beautifully!! When I went home on leave I'd always spit shine my dad's workboots. He was so proud to tell the guys he worked with that his daughter, the Marine, had put that pretty shine to those old boots!

greybeard
01-09-04, 08:11 PM
Used Kiwi wax. I was good at it, or learned to be good out of neccessity. But, I had one pair of boots, that now matter what was done to them, or who tried to spit shine them--they just never would take a spit shine.

mrbsox
01-09-04, 08:36 PM
Over the last year or so, I've met several Marines at the air port, or even at Sam's club, in Alpha's.

EVERYONE of them were in Corafram (sp??), or what ever they call that patent leather looking sh!t these days.

It just takes the 'crispness' away from the look of a Marine in uniform. Where is the personal pride that was required to put that 'edge' on your shoes, to look better than the Army.

Terry

I don't like it.

greensideout
01-09-04, 09:17 PM
mrbsox,

Makes you wonder if they are in the correct uniform. Is the "ready shine" an issue uniform item now?

I agree, the pride comes with the spit shine---no one does it better then Marines.

mrbsox
01-09-04, 09:59 PM
GSO,

That's what they ALL said. Issue, along with the tan boots :(

Sender
01-09-04, 11:59 PM
I wonder if the Continental Marines would have anything to say about us not using the leggings they once used with their combat uniform? As a former Marine Drill Instructor I used to wear the all leather boot vs the jungle boot most Drill Instructors wore because it gave me a chance to show the recruits how well an all leather boot would shine. I could hear them whisper in the background, "I wish I could get my boots to shine like that." It just makes a Marine feel good when someone wants to be like you......A Marine!

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-10-04, 10:46 PM
Don't talk about the leggings too much... I remember hearing rumors that they would in fact be a part of the new utility uniform. Thankfully, it didn't happen, but it could. Just tell me, how are you supposed to use your pants as a life saving device in the water if you have leggings over them and your shoes/boots?

P. M. SHEEHAN
01-11-04, 10:31 AM
You won't believe this, but back in the early 60's we were issued brown leather boots and shoes and had to turn them black well in advance of graduation. I can only remember using black kiwi polish which we would light for a minute to soften the polish. I think this tortureous procedure was another way of instilling discipline and determination. For many years now, the Corps has decided that such things are a waste of valuable time. In fact, we used to wash our own laundry on scrub racks and hang it out to dry on the side of the barracks. Mine was 3rd. Batt. on P.I. and the first of the new buildings. The clotheslines are still there, but nobody washes clothes anymore. Can't say it's right or wrong. At least such trivial chores took your mind off things for while.

radmaw
01-11-04, 01:27 PM
I know there are older Marines than me here, but back in "53" our shoes were cordovan and according according to our drill instructors only "doggies" polished their boondockers and boots. Spit shining was a ***** but there was pride in a job well done.

Sender
01-11-04, 08:56 PM
As of today, 1/11/2004, my buddy , who is a Drill Instructor in San Diego, told me that the recruits still wash their own laundry every Sunday morning. Now, there is one tradition that I hope doesn't go away.

greensideout
01-11-04, 09:08 PM
Once a week? How much underwear are they issused now?

firstsgtmike
01-11-04, 10:00 PM
Underwear is changed daily. The Pvts change with the PFCs, the L/Cpls change with the CPLs, etc. etc.

It's easy to remember how to put them on. Brown stain to the back, yellow stain to the front.

Tude
01-12-04, 12:38 PM
firstsgtmike ,You ain't right ,ROFLMAO

greensideout
01-12-04, 07:44 PM
Brown side out, then when they turn green?---well, you know the next command.

Sgtj
01-12-04, 08:09 PM
I may be jumping in a bit early on this thread but for what its worth Marines (when they enlist or accept the commision) get what is issued to them, leather shoes or boots, or not, and we do the best with what we have. It shouldn't be about how come the Marines of today where the fake shoes or wear jungle boots inorder to save time from spit shining or whatever. The point I am trying to make is that Marines are Marines nomatter what uniform you are in or how damn shiny your shoes/boots are. Thats why you can see one even out of uniform. Lets get to reality, I was at 8th and I for over four years and I know the importance of looking squared away and I even (believe it or not) know the best way to get a those boots jungle or not to shine like a mirror. But when the sunsets and the fighting hole is dug, and the aiming stakes are set in place, your boots are not getting inspected.

Men, I am not trying to offend anyone. I am a stickler for everything you all talk about, my wife still makes fun of me for ironing my pt gear before I head to the gym and I have been out for awhile. But Marines are Marines. Semper Fidelis.:marine:

P. M. SHEEHAN
01-13-04, 07:45 AM
I agree. The uniform does not make the Marine. A "squared-away" Marine, regardless of age, stands out at least for the most part. I'm 61 years old and still wear my hair "high and tight" and work hard staying in shape. I know it's not easy as you get older. What burns my butt is when you get to talking to someone who goes on and on about his affiliation years ago and he's an absolute mess with a 50 lb. beer belly and in neeed of a haircut. I just act polite and try to walk away from it. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times people have approached me over the years and said "you must have been in the Marines". To me, that's like winning the lottery. Well........almost. Semper fidelis.

greensideout
01-13-04, 08:07 PM
Sorry, but you ARE judged by appearance.

True, the uniform doesn't make the Marine, but a good Marine will make the uniform. That's one of the things that Marines are known for!

I'm 61 years old too and I've been pegged as a Marine near all the time. So what's the big deal? It's all in how you present yourself, body, bearing and squared away gear. Right?

The art of spit shining still counts!

Semper Fi

P. M. SHEEHAN
01-14-04, 06:39 AM
Right on!

Sgtj
01-14-04, 07:36 AM
I agree with the both of you. My point wasn't to put down those who take pride in being squared away. Trust me I am on your side. Like Sheehan said, I am practically embarresed when my family who takes so much pride in the Marine Corps see's a former Marine decked out in Marine gear and looks like Sheehan described. Its hard to explian to Civ's what a **** bird is... But anyway my point was just to say there is more to a Marine then spit shined boots. THATS ALL!!!!

But anyway if you want to know my secret on shining, I apply a heavy coat of shoe polish to the entire boot then put them in the oven for a couple of minutes (keeping a eye on them of course!) then once the polish starts to melt, I take them out, let them cool off, then start applying many, I repeat many light coates.

Semper Fi....

P. M. SHEEHAN
01-14-04, 12:28 PM
'nuff said. Snow's going to start falling here in about 6 hours, so out come the boots. I have a pair over 20 years old. They've been re-fitted once at the fraction of the cost of a new pair. The secret to keeping the heels from "wedging" down is to take them to the shoemaker and have him nail on a pair of lifts every so often . It cost me only two bucks each time. Hopefully, this is my last winter in the Northeast. Me and my "better half" are building a house in Beaufort. I'm coming home to "where it all began" and can't wait. Semper fi.....

Cpl C
01-14-04, 12:49 PM
I agree Spit shining and extra crispy cammies defined who cared what they looked like and the sh*t bags who didn't. I may have transferred to the new cammies but I still polish my boots.

caldara
01-14-04, 12:52 PM
Well, for us oldtimers (early 50's), the scrub racks were there for doing laundry with our bucket, soap and scrub brush.. Hang out your laundry on the wire clothsline with the "tie-ties" on your drawers; brown dress shoes dyed & polished cordovan; 1 pr boots, 1 pr bookdockers (rough side out) so you could "shave" them to polish them (also issued 1 pr leggings to go with the boondockers); Herringbone utilities that would last forever.. Also was issued a "battle jacket" which sure was easier to wear than the blouse. So many things that have changed.. and it is good for the Corps to change to meet the current needs of the greatest fighting force in the world. Semper Fidelis, Marines.
Lu Caldara
GySgt USMCR ret '53-61 / '67-79

Toby M
01-14-04, 05:19 PM
What gives? You don't have to spit shine your boots anymore? I just retired after 25 years in law enforcement (so that makes me an old jar head) and I was still spit shining my work shoes!

snipowsky
02-10-04, 10:10 AM
Very well said Sgtj and First SGT. Mike LMFAO!

I loved spit shining my caddilacs, that's one tradition the Corps needs to carry on! It wasn't work to me, it was a ART FORM! I was never about inspections or being squared away, even though I was always squared away and looking sharp. To me it was just being a Marine, being someone I've always looked up too. Like I did with my Grandpa who was a Marine who fought on Gaudalcanal, or my uncles who fought in the rice paddies of Vietnam.

As Hank Williams Jr. would say, "It's a family tradition"!

Semper Fi brothers, You all bring smiles to my face day in and day out!

Dragon Air
02-27-04, 06:16 PM
Spit shining of the boots still exists! Only the Chair-Force wears corofram boots. We do have the patent leather shoes but still are issued the leather dress shoes as well. Why? On board ships, you have to wear leather. We were told it was because the plastic corofram shoes could melt from the heat in the engine compartment or during a fire. The fire makes more sense to me than the other as firefighting on a ship is an all-hands effort.

Sender
02-28-04, 07:59 AM
To me, it's all about presentation because when someone sees you for the first time and they see that you look squared away they are going to thing you are squared away in your work ethic as well. Plus, you look good.

leroy8541
02-29-04, 04:18 PM
I was on Okinawa in '87 when Gen. Gray came for a visit. He put out a direct order for all Marines to take the boot brush and knock the spit shine off the combat boots, and not to put any starch on the uniforms. The fluff and buff period. I was pretty good at spit shining, but when I got out in the hot sun the polish would tend to crack and flake off or something I think I was putting it on to thick or something. Spit shine never really impressed me that much as long as the uniform was clean and tidy, and the boots were clean, and black with enough polish on them to shed water. With servicable soles. I pretty much think spit shining combat boots is a waste of time.

HLAlger
02-29-04, 08:12 PM
When I joined the Corps, in the early 60's we were issued dark brown shoes and spit shined them, we had black rough out boots that we used saddle soap to keep them clean and shined............:cool:

jfreas
02-29-04, 09:15 PM
I can remember using "5 day deorderant pads with Kiwi polish to spit shine. Hey it worked, so don't knock it.

greensideout
02-29-04, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by jfreas
I can remember using "5 day deorderant pads with Kiwi polish to spit shine. Hey it worked, so don't knock it.

And your boots never broke a sweat, right? :banana:

usmc4669
03-02-04, 10:30 AM
Spit shine, I don't think it would be wise to wear spit shined boots in combat. Yes when our shoes and boomdockers were issued we had to dye them first before we spit shined them, they came tan Navy issue; had to wear them to break them in if you didn't the polish would crack on the shoes. Then we used a Zippo lighter to melt the wax (Kiwi) some tried Johnson car wax, all this would do would cause the leather to crack due to the leather couldn't breathe. I use a silk hose (from one of my many girl friends) LOL, to shine my shoes or a cotton ball ( I used a lot of cotton balls) dipped in after shave lotion. After you did this a few times and the wax got too thick then you had to remove it and start all over again, a never ending process. We were only allowed to wear our dress shoes on liberty or any formal affair. In those days you have to have them half soled before you could survey them for a new pair, then you had to start all over again, what fun. To keep them shiny and dust free when in formation we would rub them on our class A uniforms pants leg to wipe off the dust, this cause us to have a large cleaning bill each month. We had no Patten leather shoes back then. I still try to keep my shoes looking good, don't spit shine as much as I used to, ran out of cotton balls. LOL

pocatellodave
08-28-10, 03:52 PM
I was a sea going Marine.Things have changed since then.We were squared away.I don't know what to think of the new dress shoes and boots.When I first entered the Corps we had dark brown dress shoes,and the boots were similar to todays brown boots...they had the rough side out.We were able to make them shine quite well,but it took a lot of work.Later,they came out with a smoother black boot,and the shining became much easier.Dark brown went out when I was in sea school,so we dyed our dress shoes black,and never looked back.Kiwi was the best polish,and Lincoln just didn't cut it.Kiwi might be out of business,with the switch to corforms!We used brasso,and lots of it.The ncos' told us that an idle mind was the devils workshop,so we shined everything that could be shined.I guess I joined the Corps when several things were changing.E-4 sergeants with no crossed rifles etc.I was glad to be part of it,and I'd do it again.Times change things,and I know todays Marines are squared away as we were many years ago.Semper Fi

Lisa 23
08-28-10, 08:04 PM
Wow.....until today, this thread hasn't been posted in in over 6 years!