PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Good About Serving In Nam.

nydoowop
02-28-15, 03:29 PM
I was in the hospital this past week and a doctor came in.
Asked how I was and told him not bad except for the back pain I having do to having hurt it in Vietnam and not being able to stand right.

He thanked me and all servicemen for serving in Nam. Of course, I said yah, but we lost that one. Which always bothers me.

BUT, he said NO,NO. We were the ones who brought democracy to that part of the world and he WAS VERY thankful.

Really made me feel good about not only being a Marine but actually making a difference over there.

Just thought those Marines who were not treated well on return might like to hear my story.

Semper Fi :iwo:

josephd
02-28-15, 08:20 PM
We should never have to feel bad about where we served, if we won or lost, or any other sort of political agenda. It's always about the Marine to the left and right of you.

USMCARivera
02-28-15, 08:39 PM
There's a special place in my heart for all the Marines who served in Vietnam. The treatment they got when they came home is a shame and I'm glad America has moved past that state of mind.

Mongoose
03-01-15, 07:52 AM
We didn't lose that war, brother. We never lost a battle. The politicians and the cowards lost the war!

Riven37
03-01-15, 08:35 AM
I don't often feel good about my time in Nam however when I see the Vietnamese who came to USA after the war and they made something of themselves owning business, in politics, being leaders and loving America then I feel my friends did not die in vain otherwise, the way we (government) fought our war are doing the same thing in today's wars.

Last summer I meet a Vietnamese man who owned a Chinese take out who thanked me for fighting for him and his family. All I could do was give him a little smile over the shock I was feeling.

" NO PRESIDENT SHOULD EVER RUN A WAR, THEY ARE NOT ON THE GROUND THIS IS WHY WE HAVE GENERALS AND THEIR DECISIONS, CHOICES ARE ONLY ABOUT THEM AND THEIR VOTES."

nydoowop
03-01-15, 01:47 PM
^^never thought that. Vietnamese coming here and owning a business or getting into politics. NICE :beer:

m14ed
03-02-15, 05:00 AM
We didn't lose that war, brother.

We never lost a battle.

The politicians and the cowards lost the war!

Well said Mongoose
Welcome home brothers.......

ChuckH
03-02-15, 07:52 AM
We didn't lose that war, brother. We never lost a battle. The politicians and the cowards lost the war!

Here here brother...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Welcome Home to all my Nam brothers....

advanced
03-02-15, 10:13 AM
Same to you Chuck. I do believe the Gods are messing with me as one of my next door neighbors is a gook. I believe he's from the south though, but not sure as he lives on the north side. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Mongoose
03-02-15, 05:11 PM
Russ, he may be one of your son's from Nam.

nydoowop
03-03-15, 12:39 PM
@Mongoose, that was not nice of you :( :cool:

doc h fmf
03-04-15, 08:14 AM
To all my brothers who fought in Vietnam thank you for your service and sacrifice and job well done.Welcome home.Iknow I was just a little kid at the time.

God bless you all and Semper Fi my brothers and sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 fmf.

advanced
03-04-15, 08:37 AM
@Mongoose, that was not nice of you :( :cool:

Don't be 2 hard on Mongoose. Though he is mean and tries his best to hurt my fragile feelings he is still my brother. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that they used to call me Number One in the Nam. Mongoose likes to call me Johnny Appleseed. As you can see I am just a humble Marine that tries his best to get along.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

nydoowop
03-04-15, 11:43 AM
Well Number One in the Nam, I can't believe how nice you are to your rotten brother:)
But in the interest of World Peace, I accepted the offer of Friendship your rotten brother just sent to me :)
I sure hope he turns out to be a nice brother and does not "short sheet" either of us

advanced
03-04-15, 11:57 AM
Watch yourself, they call him Mongoose because he's very sly and it looks like you are falling for one of his main tricks. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

ChuckH
03-04-15, 02:33 PM
Don't be 2 hard on Mongoose. Though he is mean and tries his best to hurt my fragile feelings he is still my brother. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that they used to call me Number One in the Nam. Mongoose likes to call me Johnny Appleseed. As you can see I am just a humble Marine that tries his best to get along.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Billy said they used to call you(and still do) Quickie Ricky!!!

advanced
03-04-15, 02:41 PM
No Chucky, me always love them long time. Where is Mongoose hiding out at today? <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Mongoose
03-04-15, 06:05 PM
I just stepped out to get another pair of boots on.......my other pair is full of shet!

Mongoose
03-04-15, 06:14 PM
No Chucky, me always love them long time. Where is Mongoose hiding out at today? <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/eec4c55e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Russ told me he just loved french kissing those old wrinkled up mamma-sons.....he said he was in Heaven when he was swirling his tongue around and sucking beetlenut juice through their snaggeled teeth.

m14ed
03-05-15, 02:12 AM
nydoowop (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?51809-nydoowop) http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/statusicon/user-offline.png

catch up with the platoon
will you please.

ChuckH
03-05-15, 06:57 AM
Russ told me he just loved french kissing those old wrinkled up mamma-sons.....he said he was in Heaven when he was swirling his tongue around and sucking beetlenut juice through their snaggeled teeth.

I just threw up in my mouth..... :(

Mongoose
03-05-15, 07:36 AM
I'm not kidding Chuck. When Russ has his family reunion every year.....his home place looks like downtown Da Nang on Saturday night!

advanced
03-05-15, 08:51 AM
Billy, you know I didn't frequent all those low class ***** houses and such. I always went 1st class to the Da Nang Hilton. Damn mesquoitos. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5a38d43/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

nydoowop
03-05-15, 04:04 PM
You know the old saying, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" :)

Abbinator
03-06-15, 02:10 PM
My Brothers,
Sempi Fi. I am an old Marine who is a Vietnam Veteran who had an MOS of 2531
Field Radio Operator. While serving in Iwakuni Japan 1st Maw, MWCS-18 i was restricted from going in country due to my support duties at the Base. I have felt for many years that i was not a Vietnam Veteran. But, my converasations over the years with combat vets, has changed my mind. While living the war through my radio and calling in air strikes and tracking the unrelentless numbers of dead and wounded, i felt so helpless. Sometimes i still cannot comprehend why it wasn't me who did not come home. Many of my friends did not. Any comments or ideas about Vietnam " ERA " veterans ? By the way that was the only war where veterans were classified as "ERA " vets.

I am proud to be apart of this group. Just joined today !

Mongoose
03-06-15, 03:46 PM
I'm not trying to be smart Abbinator.....but I thought the air strikes and combat units were already gone from Nam by the time you got to Japan. Enlighten me, If I'm wrong brother.

Hammer
03-06-15, 07:26 PM
My Brothers,
Sempi Fi. I am an old Marine who is a Vietnam Veteran who had an MOS of 2531
Field Radio Operator. While serving in Iwakuni Japan 1st Maw, MWCS-18 i was restricted from going in country due to my support duties at the Base. I have felt for many years that i was not a Vietnam Veteran. But, my converasations over the years with combat vets, has changed my mind. While living the war through my radio and calling in air strikes and tracking the unrelentless numbers of dead and wounded, i felt so helpless. Sometimes i still cannot comprehend why it wasn't me who did not come home. Many of my friends did not. Any comments or ideas about Vietnam " ERA " veterans ? By the way that was the only war where veterans were classified as "ERA " vets.

I am proud to be apart of this group. Just joined today !

Abbinator; help me out. There is a large problem with your post in terms of what you did in relationship to the war in Vietnam.

The last AIR ops by any US military in NAM was in January 73 and you graduated from Boot Vamp in April 73. So if you was calling in air strikes; who were you calling air strikes on? Secondly; I've never heard of any air strikes etc; being called in from several countries away; you in Japan, and the planes were in Vietnam.

Also, why were you keeping track of the KIA and WIA's?
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere on dates etc;.
I hate to do this; but until you clarify some things; I m afraid that I'll have to call bull**** on your post as it is written.