PDA

View Full Version : Lat-move to Crypto

Kuzco
02-28-15, 08:53 AM
Good morning to all,
I've searched the forums and gathered what I could about crypto but my questions havent been answered. I understand you Intel/crypto guys don't like giving out information on a public forum, I get that. So if no one can answer my questions here, that's fine, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm currently an 0311 at Lejeune. I was speaking to the guys in my s2 shop about potentially moving over to 0211 upon reenlistment. They found out that I had previously taken the DLAB (originally wanted Intel before changing to 03 before boot camp)and had scored a 109. They told me that the CI guys would probably want to send me to Monterey to make me a crypto-linguist instead. Whether or not they're blowing smoke up my behind, I looked into it and don't think I'd mind doing that instead. Now here are my questions, all assuming I make it to the school with my score:

1. Do you choose your language, or is it assigned to you?
2. I'm married, would my spouse be able to come with me to Monterey or not?
3. From my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong,) successful graduation from the school can send you either to an FMF sigint unit or support unit to Ft. Meade. Do you have a choice in this or is it just needs of the Corps?

Any information would be fantastic. Thanks in advance, Devils.

Tennessee Top
02-28-15, 10:11 AM
Never was in that field but did work in the intel field during my time with the USCENTCOM J2 Directorate. Based on what I learned (not personal experience), my guess is:

The language is chosen for you (based on needs, your background, aptitude, etc).

Since most languages take over a year to learn, spouses are allowed at the DLI in Monterey.

Don't know how assignments out of school work. I would think your language would determine where you'd be plugged into.

Read the "Similar Threads" below your thread. May answer some of your questions.

I would add, as a former Battalion Career Planner, lat moves can be tricky and all the stars have to align just right for it to work out. Obviously, one needs the ASVAB/DLAB scores to qualify and there would be a security clearance involved in your case. Besides an incentive to extend/reenlist, lat moves are a tool used to balance MOS fields. Normally, HQMC allows someone to move from an overpopulated MOS into an underpopulated one (they would not approve moving into an already overpopulated MOS). You should check with your career planner to see what the situation is with 0311 and 0211. I also just read 40% of the available reenlistments for this fiscal year have already been completed and it's just the end of February. The sooner one gets a new contract the better. The article said only 1 in 4 Marines will be able to reenlist now but that is expected to change to only 1 in 5 (just a 20% chance of reenlistment). Commanders are tasked with identifying who they want to retain early and keeping only the best. If you haven't already, you should be talking to your Career Planner.

Good luck Devil

MunkyVsRobot
03-01-15, 11:19 AM
In what way does that make any sense? If CI is going to try and recruit you as an 11 why would they try and send you to be a crypto liguist? they are 2 totally different fields, I have met 0 linguists at an intel BN so far they are elsewhere. If you want to go CI then go CI.

From my limited knowledge on Crypto I believe they assign you a language based on that DLAB score the higher the more advanced the language you can learn.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO%201550_25A.pdf

MunkyVsRobot
03-01-15, 11:22 AM
found this not sure how accurate it is but maybe this will help.
Qualifying Scores

The DLAB consists of 126 multiple choice questions.
Applicable service policies require that each candidate for attendance at the
Defense Language Institute be a high school graduate. For admission to a Basic
Language Program, the following minimum DLAB scores are required:

85 for a Category I language (Dutch, French,
Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish)

90 for a Category II language (German)

95 for a Category III language (Belorussian,
Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak,
Tagalog [Filipino], Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese)

100 for a Category IV language (Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)

Individual services or agencies may demand
higher qualifying scores, at their discretion. For example, the Air Force
requires a minimum score of 95 on the DLAB for all Cat I-III languages, and 100
for Cat IV languages. The Marine Corps requires a minimum score of 100 for all
languages, although they will waiver it to a 90 for Cat I and II languages. The
highest possible score on the DLAB is 176.

Kuzco
03-04-15, 12:42 PM
MSgt, wow, I didn't realize the drawdown was THAT severe. Thank you both for the info, it cleared up my questions.