PDA

View Full Version : Physically challenged siblings inspire new Marine

thedrifter
01-09-04, 06:12 AM
Physically challenged siblings inspire new Marine
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20041813221
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(January 8, 2004) -- PFC Alvaro Rodriguez, Platoon 2132, Company F, learned to set the example at a young age and has been helping his seven older siblings along the way as he reaches his goals.

He is the first of his siblings to graduate high school and has also taken on the role of caretaker to his mentally disabled brother, and sister, who was mistakenly shot in the head during a violent dispute. His family's support has inspired him to become a Marine and with every achievement he makes, his family lifts him to another level.

"It has always been a thought in my head," said Rodriguez. "My sister liked the Marines. She always said the Marines was something I should do."

Rodriguez hoped to return his unfortunate sister's inspiration after she first urged him to become a Marine. Now recovered from her severe head wound, Rodriguez hopes she will be impressed with his transformation.

The thought of seeing his sister out of intensive care, and her seeing him in a Marine Corps uniform, has helped Rodriguez fuel his desire to succeed and claim the title of Marine.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200418134127/$file/PFC_Alvaro_Rodriguez_lr.jpg

PFC Alvaro Rodriguez gives blood. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

The Drifter
:marine: