PDA

View Full Version : Mos 2651

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:22 PM
Hello. I'm looking to advise my son who is currently in Corry Station waiting to class up for MOS 2651. He originally wanted a 0231 MOS, but was assigned 2651 due to the needs of the Corps. That's cool. His long term goal is to eventually work at the Pentagon or CIA in the intelligence arena.

My question is, can anyone who's been a 2651 provide some insight into the work he will be doing while in the Marine Corps? Also, will this MOS translate for him into being able to work in the Intelligence arena after he is out? Finally, is it possible for a 2651 to change to 0231?

If you have any suggestions of other posts that may have already answered this, I would really appreciate that as well.

Thank you.

PJones64
01-18-15, 01:24 PM
Why isn't he asking there at Corry Station and here? There would be plenty of people at the actual base to ask.
And why does he have to know in advance?

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:29 PM
He doesn't need to know in advance. He's fine with the 2651 MOS he's been assigned and will hit it as hard as he can. In talking with him, we got to wondering if the 2651 would be able to point him to the Intelligence field that he want's to do as a career. He's asked about a switch, and got the reply that 2651's are needed now more than 0231's so this is where he's at. Again, he's ok with that. He is just wondering long term how well this will translate to the field that he ultimately wants to be involved in.

joseywales
01-18-15, 01:29 PM
I agree. helicopter parents are all over the place these days, hovering above their offspring, when the offspring are capable themselves. Things have changed. As we all know. LOL

Marine1011
01-18-15, 01:32 PM
I assume he is at Company K, is that right? He can go to the Admin Office, there are NCOs there who can perhaps enlighten him, but generally speaking they themselves are not in the MOS field you described. Have him speak with people on the base, or get in touch with his recruiter, or any recruiter in Pensacola. That last is probably his best bet, call up a Pensacola recruiter on Tuesday.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:36 PM
Good advice about calling a recruiter, probably his own would be better, but any recruiter. The recruiter will be able to give general info because the details are classified. I was at Corry Station/Field, but that was ages ago, however, the general concept remains the same. Details have changed. Good luck to your son, he will enjoy that school, as I did.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:38 PM
Just by the way, I was a 2571, that designation was changed later to 2621.
Pensacola area is a place he'll enjoy, the school as well as the surrounding area.

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:39 PM
Helicopter parents? Drive-by commentators...

I was just asking a question. No need to insult. Don't respond if you think the original poster is not worthy of a response other than an insult.

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:40 PM
Thank you Marine1011. I'll advise him accordingly.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:40 PM
I see we failed to answer the crux of what you were asking, how this translates or could translate later on in civilian life. Good question! He'll probably have to wait and ask his instructors that question, they should be able to answer him satisfactorily. I can't think of anyone else who would have that exact knowledge.

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:41 PM
USMC2571, good to hear. He'll be fine. Excited to get classed up and get going.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:43 PM
When I was there the school was 6 months. The white sand beaches nearby were a distraction from school, but only on weekends. The city itself is nice, too. Anywhere in Florida is fine, this time of year, compared to how it is elsewhere.

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:44 PM
USMC2571, you're probably correct. I just thought maybe someone who's been through the transition may be on here.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:44 PM
The base is very small, but complete. They have mostly everything one could need or want, right on base. Very manageable, not like a huge place such as Camp Lejeune, NC.....nice looking base, good school, a Navy school, a class "A" school, as I think they refer to it.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:49 PM
The chances of finding someone with that MOS are small. When I was in, we had NO choice as to MOS. We took Classification Tests in boot camp, and got whatever MOS they gave us----out of 190,000 Marines, back then, about 1,500 of us had that MOS, so I would imagine your son will run into very few with that MOS except at PCLA and later duty stations.

Yukon
01-18-15, 01:54 PM
Yes, you are correct on that point. Talked to a Major at Camp Geiger and he said "I have no idea what that MOS is"...which I found somewhat humorous.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 01:59 PM
Ironically, the Commanding Officer of Company K on that base does not know all about that MOS or the other related ones taught at those schools, because they are highly classified. You won't hear your own son telling you much about it either, as you'll discover, once he gets in that school.-----this is a kind of unfortunate barrier to learning more about these things prior to actually beginning classes.

This is why I said that once he begins classes, his instructor(s) will have answers re how this or that MOS translates into the civilian sector.

USMC 2571
01-18-15, 02:00 PM
You can console yourself with one thing, though----and that is that your son will be doing very important, even crucial, critical work.

jetdauwgg
01-19-15, 11:41 AM
I was a 2651. I was stationed at Corry Field in PCola. Great base. Great location. Left there and went to GTMO.

PM me if possible and we can discuss.

Michael