PDA

View Full Version : Sister disrespects Veterans with PTSD

USMC Sokol
01-08-15, 03:47 PM
So I'm at my parents house with my mom, dad, niece, nephew, and sister. A tv ad comes on about a Veterans with PTSD foundation… my sister loudly gives a snarky "mmmm" followed by rudely saying "ya and where are all the fundraisings for everyone ELSE with PTSD??".

My immediate reaction was, are u f'ing serious? But I didn't say it and just kept quiet. It was just an awkward silence in the room. The kids were around and I didn't know how to go about it without things blowing up. It was loud enough for both my parents to hear..but it's a little bit deeper than that, so don't jump the gun just yet.

There's background that you need to know though. My sister is not all there in the head. She's very bipolar and has bad factitious disorder, meaning she likes getting physically and mentally sick just for the attention. She loves putting on braces, crutches, sprains, etc etc and just is always looking like a walking disaster. She told me earlier today that she is possibly getting a service dog because she claims to have PTSD. She's always been very supportive of me as a Marine, but has always held a grudge because she feels I am the "most liked in the family".

I am lost as to what to even say to her. It seems like there's no way to get through to her mentally deranged train of thought. Maybe there is no answer you can give me that'll help, but I just really need to vent right now
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

FoxtrotOscar
01-08-15, 04:48 PM
Just from what I read, there are often times when it's better to remain silent and just leave it alone..

Just my opinion...

Best of luck..

FO...

PJones64
01-08-15, 04:55 PM
Chalk it up to human nature, it takes all kinds. Can't crusade against every ill in the world. Full time job.

Riven37
01-08-15, 05:35 PM
I'm not offended ...

Mongoose
01-08-15, 06:15 PM
It ain't nuthin!

USMC Sokol
01-08-15, 06:43 PM
Idk, you dont really expect that sort of comment from a family member

josephd
01-08-15, 06:46 PM
civilians say dumb $hit, pick your battles

USMC Sokol
01-08-15, 08:55 PM
civilians say dumb $hit, pick your battles

I tend to want to battle….everyone. LOL
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

PJones64
01-09-15, 05:43 AM
Then if that's the case, you have more issues than your sister, and are in for a miserable future.

Unless you're going to get help, which is readily available.

Phantom Blooper
01-09-15, 06:09 AM
Idk, you dont really expect that sort of comment from a family member
As a parody of Art Linkletters TV show, "Kids say the darnedest things." "Family can sometimes say the dumbest things." The worst thing for you and the best thing for her because of her mental condition is a pizzin' contest.....for your daily welfare.....limit time around her and anyone else.....family or friends with that mentality....as stated in another thread you are seeing counselor..........so vent.....with them or here...........but don't let a situation put you in lockup either mental health or civilian jail..........which can cause more trouble than what you have. Good luck!

advanced
01-09-15, 09:54 AM
One of your statements; "She's very bipolar and has bad factitious disorder, meaning she likes getting physically and mentally sick just for the attention. She loves putting on braces, crutches, sprains, etc etc and just is always looking like a walking disaster." spoke loud and clear to me.

Rather than "factitious disorder" I would suggest she has fictitious disorder. Just saying.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/1bf4c017/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

oldtop
01-09-15, 02:14 PM
Blooper got it right, take care of yourself, and avoid a pizzing contest with her, you'll not only be better off in the long run, you will deny her more sympathy and not run the risk of alienating other family members because you "picked" on your "poor mentally challenged sister".....

doc h fmf
01-09-15, 09:18 PM
Know what just let go bipolar says it all
Semper Fi and God Bless my brother and I will be praying for your sister.

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 fmf