PDA

View Full Version : How do you find out.....

mrbsox
09-03-02, 04:52 PM
.... if you can wear a ribbon ???

If a service Ribbon/Medal has been instituted, AND made retroactive, OR a Unit award made after your EAS (but earned before EAS), how do you (I) find out if I can rightfully add it to my (meager) holdings.

Specificaly, the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, which states:

This award was approved by the Secretary of the Navy on May 22, 1980. It recognizes the unique and demanding nature of sea service and the arduous duty attendant with such service deployments. The award of the ribbon was made retroactive to August 15 1974. It is presented to officers and enlisted personnel of the US Navy and Marine Corps assigned to US homeported ships and overseas ships, deploying units, or Fleet Marine Force (FMF) commands, for 12 months accumulated sea duty, or duty with FMF, which includes at least one 90 consecutive day deployment. Sailors can now earn the award after completing two 80-day or longer deployments in a 12-month period. This change applies to deployments commencing on or after Oct 18, 1991.

I have gotten word, that I rate wearing the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, from the 1st Sgt, now with 3/6. But of course, I have no citation, or anything official. Is this supposed to be on the DD214, or 215?

Inquiring minds want to know :yes:

Terry

Sixguns
09-03-02, 07:19 PM
Is a unit award and you will not get a certificate. The unit is provided with the streamer for its color and Maradmins are released to announce awarding of unit awards. Usually a copy of the Maradmin (remember ALMARS? that's the new name) is submitted to amend one's records.

A sea service deployment ribbon is an individual award. With the criteria and the submission of it to VA, you can initiate an update of your records. Usually you will get the same DD214 but with stamps and a certification that awards were added after service based on these messages and information.

SF,

onedevildog
09-05-02, 06:53 PM
The simplest way to confirm your eligibility for any award (service or personal) is to take a copy of your DD214 to the nearest USMC Reserve Center. They are manned by active duty Inspector-Instructor Marines. The Admin Chief, usually a Staff or Gunny can verify eligibility. Question is if He or She will take the time. I want to believe most of them will. I know that prior service Marines are a priority of service at my unit. (Weapons Company, Austin, Texas). In the event you are not satisfied, you can contact HQMC, Awards Branch. just takes a little longer and doesn't have the personal service. Hope this helps. Gunny out.

mrbsox
09-06-02, 10:08 PM
Contacted the local USMCR unit Admin Chief (SSgt), he directed me to apply for a copy of page 3 of my SRB:

NPRC; Navy Personnel Records

(314) 538-4142 / 7

www.va.gov

He said the page 3 would list all of my Service and Deployment dates, and with that he could do a DD215 (DD214 amendment).

Hope this helps anybody else also.

Terry

12/75 to 12/79 Ohraaaaaa

mrbsox
09-06-02, 10:24 PM
this is a test...:ditsey:

mrbsox
09-06-02, 10:34 PM
retest the pic test