PDA

View Full Version : When the Marines Tried to Recruit 73-Year-Old President Ronald Reagan, His Response

jetdauwgg
01-04-15, 12:38 PM
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/226462-marines-tried-recruit-73-year-old-president-ronald-reagan-response-classic/

As much as Ronald Reagan is remembered for his love of country, he is also remembered for his dry sense of humor. His response to a recruitment letter from the Marine Corps – received while he was president – was classic Reagan.

In May of 1984, after the 73-year-old president received the letter, he replied in quintessential Reaganesque style:

Dear General Kelly,

I regret that I must decline the attached invitation to enlist in the United States Marine Corps.

As proud as I am of the inference concerning my physical fitness, it might be better to continue as the Commander-in-Chief. Besides, at the present time it would be rather difficult to spend ten weeks at Parris Island.

The recruiter notes that “had (I) joined six months ago, I would have a whole new life now.” There is no doubt about that. As much as the other political party would appreciate the notion, Nancy is happy with the house and I am totally satisfied with my job. As for the immediate future, I have the kind of tenacity the Corps is famous for in my resolve to stay here for the next four years. Would you consider a deferment until 1989?

On a more serious note, P. X., I’m sure my invitation came as the result of a lance corporal’s overactive imagination. Nevertheless, please let him know that he honored me in believing that I have what it takes to become a United States Marine.

Semper Fidelis,

Ronald Reagan
President Reagan may not have had what it takes to be a U.S. Marine at the age of 73, but I’m sure he got a few laughs out of the Corps with this response.

rickyracer
01-05-15, 02:11 AM
I sure do miss him.

irpat54
01-05-15, 08:45 AM
I sure do miss him.

:thumbup:

jetdauwgg
01-05-15, 12:12 PM
Great sense of humor. I thought that this would be a fun story