PDA

View Full Version : Grunt considering active to reserves?

Anthony41
12-26-14, 02:29 AM
Im currently and 0341, upon my eas im considering going reserves. I love being a grunt but at the same time I wouldnt mind POGing out to arty or something like an aerial gunner. Can someone give me some feedback as to what the usual grunts life is like in the reserves? Do you guys ever actually deploy? If so how often? and what is a usual drill weekend like? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

josephd
12-26-14, 01:55 PM
Im currently and 0341, upon my eas im considering going reserves. I love being a grunt but at the same time I wouldnt mind POGing out to arty or something like an aerial gunner. Can someone give me some feedback as to what the usual grunts life is like in the reserves? Do you guys ever actually deploy? If so how often? and what is a usual drill weekend like? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

One thing you need to consider in the reserves is you only get to select a MOS that is available at a local reserve unit to where you live(will be living).

As a prior service Marine you can go whatever unit is local to you, you will be an MOS mismatch more than likely until you re-enlist in the reserves and then you will get sent to whatever school house for that MOS that you re-enlisted in.

Yes, reserves deploy. Not so much anymore as there is nowhere to deploy to.

Drill weekends will vary quite a bit based on what kind of unit you go to.....all drills are lot like active duty though, alot of standing around/downtime.