PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in Okinawa?

OPSECveryshhh
12-10-14, 08:33 AM
Im leaving a great unit with one of the best commands I have ever been stationed at. Now im looking at orders to the Command Element 31st MEU in Okinawa. Any advice? Heads up on what to expect? Command? There's alot of rumors, however if you've actually been stationed there, any advice would be great.

McT ontheRock71
12-10-14, 02:02 PM
Forty-four years ago duty on the "Rock" was number one. Not so sure about now days.

Kegler300
12-10-14, 02:10 PM
I was stationed there in 77-78 and 91-92. The first tour I was a grunt with L 3/4 and spent most of my time at CTA, NTA, cleaning weapons and deuce gear, Mt. Fuji twice, Team Spirit 78, so that tour sucked. But my second tour in 91-92, I was with MWSS-172 at MCAS Futenma, didn't go to the field or deploy, and got me a drivers license and car and had a great time.

devilbones2
12-10-14, 06:25 PM
I was in the 31st MEU S-2 in 00-01. Awesome place. We did some pretty cool floats, Iwo Jima, Guam, Australia x2. Camp Hansen is cool too. Try to stay out of the bars and go see the island. Be nice too. We did tons of diving, like over 100 dives. I also did a cave tour and found a complete Imperial Japanese Army beer bottle that I still have to this day. The weather is great too, but a bit muggy. The problem is there are like 10,000 guys and I am sure you can imagine what that is like. Keep up the PT and save some money. You will have a great time.

mexbearlll
12-11-14, 01:36 AM
I did two tours 83-84 and 88-89. Oh yeah, Kinville ,buy me drinkie girls, Taco rice with cheese, Yakisobe. All this brings back good times I had there... Better yet, You should just save Your money, keep up with Your PT, but do go out on USO tours and get familiar with the sites.. Just have fun while Your there.

Big Boz
12-11-14, 09:38 AM
I was there in 95 and 95 and stationed on Camp Kinser. Just before I left, a Marine who just checked into our unit said you will become 1 of 3 things on Oki.
1. An even bigger drinker
2. A PT nut
3. Very religious

I became all 3 but not in that order.

I agree with what devilbones2 said. Explore the island. My wife's grandfather fought on Okinawa in WWII and was asking me if such and such was still there or did you see this and that. I wish I would have.

A little muggy - that's a good one. When it rains, it really rains. And after it rains, it can be hard to breath. The green rubber rain suits were standard issue when checking in. Even with those on, we would still get drenched on our 1/2 mile walk to the shop. Being that we were working on electronics, we would sit around the shop until we all dried out enough not to be an electrocution hazard.

Kadena AFB had the best food.
It will take you most of the day to ride the bus from Camp Schwab(north end) to Camp Kinser(south end). Just pay the cab fair, it's worth it.

FoxtrotOscar
12-11-14, 09:54 AM
A little muggy - that's a good one. When it rains, it really rains. And after it rains, it can be hard to breath. The green rubber rain suits were standard issue when checking in. Even with those on, we would still get drenched on our 1/2 mile walk to the shop. Being that we were working on electronics, we would sit around the shop until we all dried out enough not to be an electrocution hazard.

Translation: We sat around till we dried out, means by that time the day was over...!!!

HaHaHa.... ;)

Baker1971
12-11-14, 11:54 AM
True words hahahahahaha

Tracker
12-12-14, 12:47 PM
Remember you are in another country, not the good ole U.S.A., be respectful of their laws and customs. Okinawa can be an interesting place if you respectfully interact with the locals. My personal interaction was I took Karate in the ville. Stay in shape. A lot of Marine Corps History there. Keep the bar scene to a minimum. I was stationed at Camp Schwab two different times, a very long time ago. Make it a positive experience and it will be a good memory for life.

Anthony41
12-26-14, 02:32 AM
I did a UDP there. From the 6 months I was there its honestly what you make of it. Some guys love it some guys dont. Just be prepared for the hot ass weather and rolling hills. Walking anywhere absolutely sucks. The locals swing both ways some hate us some love us.