PDA

View Full Version : CH-46's Get New Engines

greybeard
01-04-04, 05:39 PM
"PATUXTENT RIVER NAVAL AIR STATION, Md. (Oct. 1, 2003) -- The V-22 Osprey program has suffered serious setbacks throughout its development, but program leaders here are confident these problems have been resolved and they are ready to move forward."

Yeah? Confident are they? Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. And you can add this $300 million to the Osprey cost .

New engine for CH-46 Sea Knight
Source: NAVAIR
10 December 2003

© NAVAIR
As the centerpiece of Marine aviation support for many years, the CH-46E assault helicopter remains the primary aircraft for Marine combat troop transport. Yet, the T58-GE-16 engine used to power it has suffered from reliability and power degradation, becoming what some have described as “tired iron.” The engine has been made a top fleet safety concern.

Now, a $300 million Engine Reliability Improvement Program (ERIP) managed by NAVAIR’s PMA-226 will deliver 446 much-improved T58-GE-16A engines to the fleet. The first four engines were delivered in April 2003 to HMM-266, located at Marine Corps Air Station New River, NC. On 25 November 2003, ERIP achieved Initial Operational Capability (meaning one operational squadron with full logistics support in place), under budget and weeks ahead of the program objective of 31 December. The squadron is flying with a complement of fully supported ERIP engines. And a 20-year reduction in reliability, power and safety has now been reversed.

For the near term, the revitalized T58-GE-16A is the only insurance policy to bridge the gap between extended CH-46E operations and a replacement aircraft. ERIP will extend T58 engine life and restore desired power margins by providing a new engine core. In addition, Naval Air Depot Cherry Point will overhaul key engine accessories, incorporate approved engine CIP changes, and perform final assembly of the core with accessory components. In addition to engine component overhaul and final assembly, Naval Air Depot Cherry Point maintains and operates the T58 test cell.

Lt.Col. Mitch Bauman, PMA-226 program manager, says that after watching the NAVAIR team in action for the past eighteen months, he is reminded of the words of Lou Holtz, famous Notre Dame football coach: “All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract them from achieving their aims.”

To illustrate, Bauman notes “the focused teamwork demonstrated by the H-46 T58-GE-16A engine Integrated Product Team in getting engines out to the fleet to outfit a squadron ahead of schedule. This comes at a time of great need as Marine forces plan to return to the inhospitable environment of Iraq. The team-consisting of the H-46/T58 Program Office, Fleet Support Team, NADEP Cherry Point, NAVAIR Inventory Control Point, Defense Logistics Agency, AIRLANT, AIRPAC, the fleet, and General Electric-has delivered a zero-time engine to the fleet in record time, two and a half years from funding turn-on to delivery of the first engine in April. The leadership demonstrated by all parties in resurrecting the T58 production line and the supply chain management while stepping up and attacking the challenges of the initial learning curve has been exemplary.”

It won't help the old airframes themselves, but maybe it'll keep them flying another 5-10 yrs. It just gets better & better huh Rich?

tophor
01-04-04, 09:18 PM
What kind of mods have they done to the T-58? Is the increased power in the powerplant going to have bad long term effects on the rest of the aging drive line? Just as they have upgraded the powerplant they also have to upgrade the driveline components to handle the extra power that the engines are putting out. If they haven't, the more powerful powerplants will tear up the drive line on the helo's and lord knows we have had enough Marines hurt or killed with these old birds.

greybeard
01-04-04, 09:35 PM
As I understand it from a Lt Col that is closely involved in this program, it won't increase the performance over the benchmark set when they a/c was new. You can just rebuild them so many times before you are wasting time. As the article points out, this just gives them all new cores. I haven't looked at the specs to see if there is a difference in the T-58 and the T-58A, but I will now. . This should answer your questions: (note the date it is expected to carry them to-2015.?.?.)

General Electric Aircraft Engines in Lynn, Massachusetts has attained the full production rate for new gas path modules used in the T58-GE-16A Engine Reliability Improvement Program (ERIP). The ERIP enhances the safety and reliability of Marine Corps CH-46E transport helicopters by upgrading -16 engines during overhaul at the Naval Aviation Depot at Cherry Point, North Carolina. With the depot due to match the factory production rate of eight engines per month in September, the Naval Air Systems Command CH-46/T58 program office (PMA-226) expects all 446 ERIP engines will be delivered by 2008. The Boeing CH-46E is now expected to remain in Marine Medium Lift Squadrons through 2017 pending replacement by the MV-22 Osprey. CH-46E Squadron HMM-266 received the first four Low Rate Initial Production ERIP engines in April.

The T58-16A ERIP is meant to extend time between removals and sustain rated power of the CH-46E engine in fleet service. The upgrade incorporates a new compressor, combustor and high-pressure turbine, plus modifications to the power turbine and engine accessory package. Projected time between removals for the improved turboshaft is now 700 to 900 hours, double current fleet averages, and should increase with experience. According to PMA-226 T58 deputy program manager Andy Wilkinson, "Our goal is to stay on-the-wing 1,200 hours instead of coming in every 300 to 400 hours." One -16A test engine has already exceeded 1,500 hours in accelerated service testing.

With CH-46E transmission limits fixed, the 1,870 shp bench rating of the T58-GE-16 engine remains unchanged. However, tighter production tolerances have given -16A engines average power margins 8.5% better than specification, more than twice the margin of typical production engines. The higher margins will help preserve full rated power over the service life of the upgraded engine and will improve performance in hot-and-high emergencies.

The T58-GE-16A Engine Reliability Improvement Program was preceded by a CH-46E/D Engine Control System program incorporating commercially-derived control improvements developed by Logic Corporation in Italy and integrated by Boeing.

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 09:40 PM
Yeah Gerybeard, I guess we knew they'd have to implement some kind of 'stop gap' on the program. I guess I guessed at this 'no brainer' in a previous thred, as I'm sure you and many others did with me.

I would guess, as with any major rework, tophor (what the hell IS everybody's names anywho?) that the driveline, as well as any 'stressed componentry' will be upgraded with the PP.

Semper Fi

Rich

greybeard
01-04-04, 10:03 PM
I'm Don, but my better half has some more colorful names for me, which I won't devulge. (she shulda been a DI)

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 10:11 PM
Thanks Don!

Thanks also for the incredibly informative posts, and reference material! I know that takes time!

I, like you and everyone else, want to see the 'V' program 'make it'. Now would be the obvious desire.

Dammit.

Semper Fi

Rich

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 10:15 PM
Oops, but I should add not at the cost of Marines lives, or anyone elses lives.

Damn the money, and ultimately the program for the time being, if need be.

You've changed my opinion, quite substantially, Don. For all the right reasons.

Semper Fi

Rich

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah. part 2.

My wife has some great names for me as well, like b*****d, son of a *****, etc! Actually, not really. But I know I **** her off!

greybeard
01-04-04, 10:33 PM
Don't get me wrong-I support the Osprey-up to a limit. We haven't reached it yet, but one more crash or 1 more year will do it for me, and I think for congress too. Boeing should be hung out to dry for this one. All the testing going on at Pax River right now, should have been done long before the Corps accepted it-by Boeing, with their personell. The Corps has a long history of perfecting equipment in the field, but this is way over the limit, both in lives, money and technology. I remember well, the problems with the 46-heck, I saw one come to pieces sitting on the ground at low power. But they fixed it, because the Corps insisted they do it. Now, we're out of time. The 46 airframes are at the end of thier lifetimes. I'm about ready to see them cut their losses and go to Sikorsky and tell em-"This is what we want-this is when we want it- and this is what we will pay for it. Nothing more nothing less" I'm bettin they deliver on time & on budget. Igor & his bunch are the best in the world

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by greybeard
Don't get me wrong-I support the Osprey-up to a limit. We haven't reached it yet, but one more crash or 1 more year will do it for me, and I think for congress too. Boeing should be hung out to dry for this one. All the testing going on at Pax River right now, should have been done long before the Corps accepted it-by Boeing, with their personell. The Corps has a long history of perfecting equipment in the field, but this is way over the limit, both in lives, money and technology. I remember well, the problems with the 46-heck, I saw one come to pieces sitting on the ground at low power. But they fixed it, because the Corps insisted they do it. Now, we're out of time. The 46 airframes are at the end of thier lifetimes. I'm about ready to see them cut their losses and go to Sikorsky and tell em-"This is what we want-this is when we want it- and this is what we will pay for it. Nothing more nothing less" I'm bettin they deliver on time & on budget. Igor & his bunch are the best in the world

Well said, Don. What happened to the 'competitive' model, i.e primary / secondary 'awarded' contractors, like on the '18 program? It actually dropped the unit price from $22 mil to $18, at one point.

You know, GE (primary) vs P&W for PP, Micky D's (HA!) vs, I think, Boeing, etc.

Jsut don't kill anyone else. At this point, that ALONE would make me happy.

Even though I'd STILL hop on ANY AC, it's not acceptable in the current program form. Which makes me wonder; even though this AC is still in it's very 'X' phase, do the aircrew wear chutes!? Not good, if not...........

Semper Fi

Rich

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 10:59 PM
I just realised, the newbie I am, that I punch in 'Semper Fi'.

Fix, 'in work'.

greybeard
01-04-04, 11:05 PM
Probably do wear parachutes, but most of the accidents have occured at low altitude, on descent, making the chute depoyment impossible. As far as I know, the a/c works fine in horiz flight, it's just during transition and descent that they have problems.

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 11:19 PM
Man, that is really terrible. When below 800 AGL, I'm still checking my altimeter, when jumping. After 12 years. I pack a 'loose chute' usually. The old, vs the bold, skydive here. I'll save my dumb stuff for race day.

Man, that's bad (I say 'man' alot). I can easily imagine (I run the scenario through my BHG EVERY time I jump, or even board a AC).

Knowing your gonna be a lawn dart in your final moments, well I think I could deal with it, but it doesn't matter if I could or not; I CHOOSE now, it's not my job description.

greybeard
01-04-04, 11:32 PM
You mean you jump out of a perfectly good aircraft? Intentionally?
You need ta mosey down to Cas3's section & see if they can help ya.
Me? I only wore one when they made me-on Basketball. Froze my butt off on those flare drops. I'd always planned on waitin till it got about a foot off the ground-didn't work out that way tho. I forgot to step out.

RichLundeen
01-04-04, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by greybeard
You mean you jump out of a perfectly good aircraft? Intentionally?

I AM an A&P! No such thing!

You need ta mosey down to Cas3's section & see if they can help ya.

Who's 'Cas3'? I'll find him, and the section, Thanks.

Me? I only wore one when they made me-on Basketball. Froze my butt off on those flare drops. I'd always planned on waitin till it got about a foot off the ground-didn't work out that way tho. I forgot to step out.

What's a 'basketball'? The 'Flare drop' reference? I should add, I'm a 'sport jumper' USPA type, My job 'in' was PC. My 'combat' (or, thankfully, lack of) experience was Bahrain, so I don't know these references.

Really enjoying this board, and eating a chunk of antelope, and a little Jim Beam. Rhymes with 'Dean' and is a LOT stronger!

greybeard
01-04-04, 11:55 PM
basketball is a flare drop., or was way back when. High altitude, for helo's anyway, with the back ramp and gunner's windows open. Circle around all night waitin for the grunts to call for illum. Cold and boring-mostly cold.

RichLundeen
01-05-04, 12:08 AM
Ah, got it. True combat AC. Thankfully, with a little regret, I was fast movers. Spent a lot of money to jump, and throw myself around a race track. I cannot do both, and shoot at the same time. So I still do an IPSC pistol compitition a few times a year.

I just GOTTA get the reloader into the basement of the new house, I have polished brass to load, and now's the time!

As for cold, MAN! Even though I'm originally from Minnesota, Colorado is COLD right now! That's OK though. Fire up the heater in the gargage, and turn to on the race bikes!

Fridge, radio, what the heck more could you want?

Except for retirement. of course........................., frickin hobbies!