PDA

View Full Version : Mortar Gunnery

thedrifter
01-04-04, 10:27 AM
Mortar Gunnery

by CWO3 Jeffrey L. Eby

Mortar gunnery should be a stated task at CAX in order that units spend time ensuring mortar teams are properly trained.

Mortars are outstanding weapons. Yet mortarmen, like most Marines, attempt to attain perfection at the expense of responsiveness. In an effort to “hit” the target, an emphasis is placed on first round precision vice sufficient suppression in a rapid timeframe. The rotation of forces to the Combined Arms Exercise (CAX) at Twentynine Palms may be indirectly part of the problem. We must refocus on what we want from our mortars and ensure our training goals are established to achieve this end.

The reason I blame the CAX for the development of precise, unresponsive mortars is due to the expectation that the first round fired on a hip shoot be “relatively close” to the objective. What is relatively close? That is at the whim of the senior evaluator. In the Mojave Desert a few miles is relatively close by one point of view. To the friendly force subjected to an errant round, 1,000 meters is relatively close. The problem is to identify what relatively close is in the mind of the enemy receiving our fires and train accordingly. I would suppose the enemy is much like us, and an exploding round within 1,000 meters is relatively close. This expectation, coupled with no sense of urgency to fire the first round, drives units to forgo speed. Since the skills of the mortarmen are not a stated goal of the CAX force, no emphasis is placed on meeting minimum time lines to be fire capable (FireCap) after mounting the guns, nor will a delay be taken to teach or recock the attack should the mortars take too long. The idea to be “close enough to be seen and adjusted by the forward observer (FO)” is not an issue, but it should be. The mortarmen appear to be attempting to develop a reputation for being sniper mortars. One shot, one kill was not the intent of mortar gunnery. The only way to alleviate this potential problem is to impose a time limit on hip shoots. This can be done safely with supervision and allows muscle memory to develop for the “right way” to do responsive hip shoots. Failure to meet the time limit forces the unit to recock and attempt the attack again and again and again.

Since the CAX is one of the few areas where units have the room to do a movement to contact hip shoot, the experience learned from this exercise will eventually override all other instruction and become “the way” to conduct live fire. Again, since perfecting a mortarman’s technique in conducting hip shoots is nowhere close to the CAX force’s stated objectives, we don’t take advantage of the opportunity to fix a potential problem. The time is available, the people are in place, the scenario is written, and the ammunition is paid for and allocated, so why not get something real out of it instead of learning the wrong lesson to fall back on later when under the friction of war? Let’s use our time, money, and efforts better than we are doing currently by focusing on a higher percentage of personnel during CAX. To the CAX force, it’s the unit’s responsibility to be prepared to conduct hip shoots properly prior to arriving. Unfortunately, Twentynine Palms is one of the few places where the proper way can be learned and executed, so time isn’t available beforehand for units not stationed in the Mojave Desert. Should the CAX take proper mortar gunnery as a stated task and evaluate it accordingly, units would in turn focus their attention on it. Although I argue with myself (and sometimes win the argument), I often convince myself that learning the wrong lessons through live fire is as bad as not firing at all. During stress, individuals, and even groups, will fall back upon the “way they did it during live fire” and never remember the caveat of “you wouldn’t do it this way during war, but for safety’s sake,” etc., etc.! Just like in baseball or any other sport, Marines will play the way they practice. Their instinctive reflexive action will revert to the physical manner in which they practiced. For this reason, modifying the technique in order to play “live” may be more detrimental than not firing at all—if it is done completely wrong.

The actions of a mortar section at the CAX are pretty set. While driving along in trace of the battalion lead elements, a call for fire mission comes over the radio. The mortar section peels off to a flank so as not to fire over the heads of friendly forces. While the guns dismount, the fire direction center (FDC) is setting up the plotting board, plotting the grid of the target, identifying the gun section’s own location, developing a grid azimuth of fire from the gun line to the target, converting the grid azimuth to magnetic, and sending the azimuth down the gun line. One of two things happens at this point. Either the section leader is setting up the aiming circle to get a precise lay of the gun line, or he is following proper hip shoot techniques and standing behind the base gun with a compass, laying the gun by compass. The difference in technique is about 3 minutes. The aiming circle technique will take up to 4 minutes and 40 seconds to be FireCap, while the compass technique can have a round out in less than 1 minute. The aiming circle technique will usually result in the round landing closer to the target than when using the compass, but it’s like the old adage, “it’s better to have a good solution that will work right now, rather than the perfect solution sometime tomorrow.”

The technique for the proper hip shoot is to have one Marine with one compass lay all four guns onto the same firing azimuth. This Marine is usually the section leader with a declinated compass. I prefer to use a normal lensatic compass, since close is good enough when dealing with mortars. I’m attempting to get the round out quickly, in the vicinity of the target, so that the FO can adjust it rapidly. A side benefit to this rapid shooting is that the enemy now knows I’m coming after him, so I can add some anxiety to his day. The section leader starts with the base gun, laying him on an azimuth determined by either plotting the target on the map and determining an azimuth from the section’s position to the target, or by setting up the plotting board. The map is usually faster since it doesn’t have to be recreated after every move. There is no way to build the data on the plotting board in advance when traveling unknown distances between firing. Once the section leader lays the base gun, the range is determined by using the map again, the range is translated into elevation data using the target firing tables, and the round is fired. While the round is being fired, the section leader using the same compass lays the remaining guns. The base gun does not reciprocally lay them. This would take too much time. Now the remaining guns match data to the base gun and await the fire for effect. The sheaf upon impact will be ugly, but it is high explosive and entitled to being as ugly as it wants to be. The FO can search and traverse an ugly sheaf over the enemy, and the enemy won’t care a bit that the sheaf wasn’t evenly spread and pretty.

This sounds all very simple, and it is, but we talk ourselves out of doing this because we are afraid the Coyotes will place us in a check fire if we are too far off the target with the first round. In the Infantry Officer Course (IOC), this procedure is taught to get a round downrange immediately—even if it’s off by a click or two—so the adjustments can be made. It has proven to be faster. I think IOC calls it a registration shot, but I’m not too clear on that anymore. I do know it’s less used than the precision of the aiming circle. Even those who are extremely fast with laying the aiming circle can’t beat the simplicity of mounting by compass and shooting.

The process of using the aiming circle is as follows. The section, while traveling, receives a call for fire. The section stops and everyone dismounts. The section leader moves to the flank and sets up the aiming circle. He is allowed 2 minutes to do this. Meanwhile, the guns are being mounted in the direction of fire. The FDC is determining their own location and building the data on the plotting board. Since the plotting board only allows a limited amount of terrain to be recorded on it, it cannot be set up in advance. Once the section’s current position is determined and the plotting board created, the FDC plots the grid to the target on the plotting board using two men with two different plotting boards. These two men must be within a certain reading to be accurate, and will often replot if they are more than 10 mils off each other’s data (although some have learned to use only one plotting board during hip shoots to be more responsive). After the firing azimuth is determined, it is sent to the section leader who finishes laying the aiming circle. (He can’t finish laying the circle until he has this information.) Then he commands the section to refer sights to his instrument and to lay the guns parallel with each other on the firing azimuth. He has 90 seconds to perform this task. Next, the guns are told to refer sights to lay aiming posts and to place out aiming posts. The gun crews have 70 seconds to place out aiming posts. Finally, they are ordered to fire the section. The combination of aiming circle, reciprocal lay, aiming stakes, and firing have no chance but to be slower. Upon impact the sheaf will look much prettier than with the “lay by compass method,” but by this time the casualty count of friendlies could be much higher, or the enemy could have left the area entirely.

continued.....

thedrifter
01-04-04, 10:28 AM
Another area of weakness with the 81mm mortars is in the training of our FOs. Every time the mortars are to fire under the control of the FO, you’ll see the FO achieve high ground to observe. I realize this is the preference, but training to this standard will give false capabilities when achieving high ground is not an option provided by our opponent. Training must be conducted with the FO on the same horizontal elevation as the target. This is when FOs learn the importance of bracketing. No longer do they get the bird’s-eye view to identify long or short rounds. Now accuracy and speed is determined by proper technique. Until you perform this training with your FOs, they will drift toward one round adjustments and firing for effect simply because they can. They will be attempting to do this later when on the same horizontal plane and be unable to achieve the same results, only to lose confidence in their abilities or slowly creep toward the target.

We’ve somehow gotten our employment techniques for the 60mm mortar confused with that of the 81mm mortar, and for this reason, there are rumblings throughout the infantry community that the 60mm mortar may be eliminated from service as it is redundant to the 81mm mortar. I disagree. I see the role of the 60mm mortar as completely different from that of the 81mm mortar and would hate to try to replace its capabilities.

The predominant role of the 60mm mortar is in the direct lay and direct alignment role due to its being so close to the fight. When thought of as a long-range M203, it is irreplaceable—Something to cover the “not so near” range dead space and be immediately available to the company commander. I believe too much time is spent attempting to develop the role of the 60mm mortar to match the ability of the 81mm mortar. The table of organization does not allow for an FDC, and I believe that is intentional. Attempting to use the 60mm mortar in such a precision gunnery role does, in fact, duplicate the 81mm mortar unnecessarily.

The 60mm mortar goes forward into the fight right alongside the rest of the company. It should be set up in the support by fire position with the M240G machineguns to suppress or isolate the objective under attack by firing the direct lay or direct alignment techniques without the use of the plotting board. Then, once the objective has been taken, it is close enough to consolidate in the lines with the rifleman and ready to fire traversing boxes during final protective fire across the platoon frontages. Talk about a backbreaker for any counterattacking force. Just set the one gun between each platoon prepared to traverse left or right at a range of 300m (or dead space nearest that) and, upon firing the final protective fires (FPFs), they will traverse across the frontage of the platoon with high explosives. They can continue to sweep left and right until you run out of opponents attacking or until ammunition runs out. With 24 turns of traverse available per gun, the frontage each gun will cover at 300m would be 80m. By moving bipods after each full traverse, you can double the frontage of each gun to 160m. For example, prepare the gun to traverse right (for instance) while leaving the sights on 3200 for deflection, aim the gun on the left edge of the traversing box, and place an aiming stake in front of the sights. Commence firing and turn right six turns (leveling cross level only, after traversing) between rounds. Upon completion of firing the fifth round, you will be out of traverse, and the gun will be set to traverse left again. If you were to commence traversing left from here, you would cover the same impact area as you had just finished firing. By picking up the bipods and relaying the sight back onto the aiming stake, you will offset the mortar farther to the right and traverse left to the impact of the last round of the first mission. This doubles the impact area at such close range. The way to determine how many turns to make between rounds is by understanding the mil relation formula and the gun. Each turn of traverse will move the strike of the round 10 mils. A mil is 1m at 1,000m away. Therefore, one turn of traverse will move the strike of the round 10m a 1,000m away, or roughly 3.3m at 300m away. Six turns of traverse would cause approximately a 20m spread between rounds and ensure an overlap of shrapnel with the 30m casualty radius of the rounds being fired.

The conventional FPF box of the 60mm section limits the section to one 30m by 90m box. After firing the first couple of rounds into that area, the rushing opponent will run around the obvious obstacle while you continue wasting rounds.

After the counterattack, should a defensive position be ordered, the plotting board can be dug out of the company gunnery sergeant’s vehicle and set up for indirect fire—should that be ordered. Personally, with all ammunition carried on the back of my men, I wouldn’t waste the 60mm rounds firing and adjusting onto targets I couldn’t see.The less than 3 pounds of explosive sent downrange won’t have the type of effect desired, and the ammunition could be better used in the close in fight.

If you are in a company defense, or, better yet, a battalion defense, separate the 60mm mortars out like I suggested earlier for the FPF traversing box and tie the overlapping traversing boxes together. Should there be gaps between companies, request to use a pair of Mk19s to close the gap. The end result will be a complete wall of shrapnel thrown in front of the rushing opponent. I guarantee he’ll have a bad day. The target engagement criteria for the 60mm mortars would be limited to firing in the FPFs only, so a consolidated section is unnecessary. Unless you have a truckload of ammunition—most unlikely—you’ll only have sufficient ammunition for the FPF anyway.

Another common problem when training mortarmen is created while firing on static line ranges. In a quest for accuracy, everyone wants to hit the tank hulls we use as targets on our ranges. This superimposes an accuracy in the mortar that doesn’t exist, and worst of all, it doesn’t teach the mortar gunners to attempt to get their shrapnel to land into the dead space behind the tank to sweep any infantry following the tank in trace. Those who hit the tank should be admonished for wasting the high-explosive round. They should understand that they will seldom fight the enemy as the single weapon they see on the static line fire. They must mentally picture of all the adjacent and supported weapons that will be simultaneously engaging the opponent. Weapons designed to hit the steel hulls will be doing so. They have to picture the best use of their type of ordnance and use it accordingly, even in static line training.

>CWO3 Eby is the Marine gunner with 7th Mar.

http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2003/03Eby.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Devildogg4ever
01-05-04, 03:42 AM
I guess 81's have changed some! I can remember being an FO and having to train boots on the guns. Use to eat alot of lead when they have the guns aimed toward us! O f course, we never seeked higher ground, ...... to busy trying to get out of the whole we made hitting the deck!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/elitewarriorsworld/A1milgraphics/81gun2.png

mrbsox
01-05-04, 12:51 PM
As an account of memory, we did VERY LITTLE direct lay firing with the 81. Most every thing was indirect fire. Even when we were able to see the impact area, our fire missions were based on FDC information.

(hey diddle diddle, far post in the middle)

It was always stressed to us that the mortar IS an area weapon. This is demonstrated in the 'lazy W' formation when the platoon is set up, as well as the change in muzzle angle EVERY time a round sets the base plate a little further into the ground. A 3 round fire mission would NEVER put 3 rounds in each others impact crater, rather it would cover an area.... AREA weapon.

Terry

Osotogary
01-06-04, 08:43 PM
Thank you, one and all, for quite an insight into 81mm Mortar Gunnery. What is or what was taught, I guess, varies with the current applicable terrain and the specific martial missions required. Learning from you folks has given me a better understanding of my son's MOS. Thanks again.
Gary(osotogary)

mustang6
02-15-04, 04:12 PM
Gunner
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, hip shoots should be about speed rather than first round accuracy (bold corrections). I am currently an 81s plt cmdr in Lejeune, and was wondering what you think about the M23 MBC Easy?

mrbsox
02-17-04, 04:04 AM
Sir,

You'll have to help this old tired BHG out with the

M23 MBC EASY !!!

Is that the entire mortar unit, the sight, the new FDC procedures ???

What unit, Sir... 3/6 was the king of the hill !!!

Terry

kentmitchell
02-17-04, 11:44 AM
From a 2/9 FO, 57-59.
Some smart guy always wants to get rid of 60s. No company commander will agree, though. 60s are his weapons of opportunity and he loves them.
They got rid of them in '58, dismantled weapons company and combined it with H&S. Worked ok in peacetime, but when the shooting started again, I believe they re-instated weapons company and went back to triangular line outfits rather than four line companies per battalion.
The guys wanting the changes usually aren't old enough to remember.

mrbsox
02-17-04, 12:53 PM
When I first drew the 0341 MOS in '76, we were part of H&S company, along with 0351 (106's), cooks, MT, etc, etc.

In @'78 or '79, we were redesignated as 'Weapons Company'.

Sounds like what 'goes around comes around'.

81's.... you order, we mortar !!