PDA

View Full Version : MSG vs Drill Field

AWhit
09-25-14, 11:04 AM
Good Day to all,

I have just been selected for SSgt and am now starting to consider the possibility of an SDA. I have been in for just under six years, am in the Intel field. I am, at the moment, planning to stay in as long as the Marine Corps will keep me. However, with the draw down and reenlistments getting that much more competitive, I have to consider the possibility that I may be a civilian after the tour. If I do get the boot, I would like to land in federal law enforcement (FBI, CIA, DEA...). I am also working on a Criminal Justice degree to help toward that goal. So, as far as the SDA is concerned, I am torn between Marine Security Guard and the Drill Field as to which will be most beneficial to both my Marine Corps career as well as setting me up for success as a civilian. I am married and my wife id finishing up her degree in Global management and is planning to continue on with graduate school. We also have a dog. Are pets allowed to taken for MSG? How challenging will it be for my wife and I to finish our degrees and continue with follow on degrees (master, doctorate) in either SDA? What is the likelihood of my wife being able to find work if doing MSG and will her degrees help?

I guess I am looking for some insight (pro/cons) to both. Everyone that I have talked to about the two have given stong pros for the one they support, but haven't talked too much about cons, if there are any.

Any advice is appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
09-25-14, 03:05 PM
I cannot answer either one of these questions however this Marine Tennessee Top was the Op's Chief at MSG School Quantico if you PM him he may be able to give you some insight....Also there are a bunch of former Drill Instructors on this site if you search in the search field there are some posts.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?82284-Tennessee-Top

Old Marine
09-25-14, 06:23 PM
I did 7 years on the drill field during Nam, but that was over 40 years ago. It was the most rewarding job I had in the Corps. I found that when I was off and went home that I had to leave the Marine Corps at the base. When I was back on duty it was hard charging Marine again. To this day I am still married to the same woman that I married in 1956. I now zero about MSG duty so can't comment on it. The worst part of being a Drill Instructor was going through D.I. School. (Boot Camp #2 without the thumping)