PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB Scores & MOS (Poolee directed)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DEP_Walker
09-02-02, 10:54 PM
Just wondering how ya'll did on the ASVAB and what you plain on going into. I'm going Infantry and am also going to be a Scout Sniper, I scored a 73 on the ASVAB.

Silver_XAT
09-03-02, 06:30 PM
I am 18 yrs old and went to MEP's a couple weeks ago. I got a 96 on the ASVAB. The doctor wants to see a CAT scan and get a psych evaluation before he lets me proceed with enlistment, because the hospital records of the incident i had have been destroyed since it was more than 15 yrs ago. I've completed a year of college at the university of south florida, and am in the Honors College there. My plan is to finish the fall term just b4 christmas and go to boot around january. Since i'm trying to finish college with a degree I plan to spend about three years in the active reserves. I'll be with an amphibious assault unit in Tampa. As far as my plans for going active... I may either go through the PLC program and be an officer my whole career, ooor i may serve 4-8 yrs enlisted first. Im not sure :confused:

Silver_XAT
09-11-02, 03:45 PM
I'm a little shocked to see that there havent been any more replies to this thread, from POOL'ee's and DEP's in the last... month? Let us know about ur plans :rambo:

PoolieH
10-07-02, 05:28 PM
Hey I'm not sure what MOS i want yet, i was thinking CounterIntelligence or something, I scored a 88 on the ASVAB.

Silver_XAT
10-07-02, 10:33 PM
That's cool. I had thought about that myself... I wonder what it actually entails? but like i said in my above post... I'll be with an amphibious assault vehicle unit to start with while im in the reserves b4 going active.

KEYDET
10-17-02, 11:16 AM
seems like i've wrote this before in here but oh well... I scored an 84 on the ASVAB and my MOS is Aviation Operations Spec. I'll be going reserves so i can be a full time student. I intend to end up on the JAG Corps.

JOnT03
10-17-02, 04:06 PM
Scored a 69 on ASVAB and my MOS is Data Systems. Though lately ive considered changing it to Infantry. I like computers and all, cant stay off mine, but i kinda got talked into Data Systems causei had the score, and i mentioned i like computers. But, thats not the kind of Marine i see myself being. Talked to my recruiter about it and he said it was up to me and that it could be changed, but as soon as i let go of Data Systems there will be no getting it back until ive been in for 2 years. Havent made up my mind yet, we'll have to see.

Ship date is 062303.

akuleon
11-07-02, 12:36 AM
I got a 71 and thought I failed until I talked to my recruiter and he explained how the scoring systems works still I am not happy with my score and plan on retaking the ASVAB I am leaving next week for boot and although I qualified for a good amount of mos's I am going 03 infantry my personal thought is if you are going into the corps career or just a couple years infantry is your best bet, fight for your country nothing better than that and after your done with your first tour make a lat move. You will do your job even better if you know it will save a fellow grunts life maybe your old buddy.

wrbones
11-07-02, 01:03 AM
Some things, the Corps needs more than you do.

( This was 26 years ago. Some things will have changed) When I first tried to sign for a guaranteed MOS, they wouldn't let me go 0311. My scores were too high. They needed me somewhere else. One of the choices I was offered was Air Wing. I chose helicopters. It was worth it.

firstsgtmike
11-07-02, 02:18 AM
Many years ago, when I was a Recruiter, a kid came in with his father, a retired Marine. The kid scored well on the ASVAB and his father was hoping I could get him into computers or avionics (aircraft electronics.)

The kid came down to the office several times to watch films dewscribing the various MOS's. When he had seen them all, I asked him wat his choice was. "The same thing as I've been telling my father for two years now, I want to get into tanks."

I talked to him until I was blue in the face, made several visits to his house to talk with him and his parents. He stood his ground, he wanted tanks.

FINALLY, and I'm embarrassed about this., I asked him a question no one had asked him before. "WHY?" "Why TANKS?"

He patiently explained to us that he was making a career of the Corps, and when he reenlisted the first time, any and every option would be open and available to him. BUT, right now, he was 17 and he wanted to drive a tank, VAVAVOOM, VAVAVOOM.

After that, I learned to ask "Why?", and then listen. His answer was better than mine, or his dad's.

AKULEON,

The best of everything to you and for you. I like your attitude, I think my Corps will be in good hands.

RoboRobinson17
11-08-02, 09:44 AM
I am a Freshman at Penn State University, and I am leaving for Boot on May 26, 03. Scared, but excited. I will be a truck mechanic with a station near Gettysburg. I enlisted for 6 years reserve, and I plan to go either Rotc, or PLC Law. I want to be with JAG Corps for my career. I figure every Marine is a rifleman, so why not get as much education as I can? Akuleon- Good Luck! Remember to stay motivated, and don't let them win!

wrbones
11-08-02, 09:57 AM
Just for clarification, My understanding when I enlisted was that they had all the grunts they needed at the time. That MOS was full and Air Wing MOS's were woefully undermanned. The latter I found out later seemed to be a normal occurance. Air Wing MOS's didn't get the manpower they really needed for about three and a half years after that.

RobertH
11-08-02, 09:51 PM
Got a 95 on the ASVAB. Right now I'm down for Electronics Maintnance, but I think I'm gonna change that to Military Intelligence... Going to try and get ROTC to Purdue, if not...its off to boot I go on Sept 10th.

I'm thinkin of doin 6 years active, and bout 10 or so reserve. Gonna get out and re-start the computer consulting business I do now, and one of these days, I'll be running for President of the United States....just wait and see, it'll happen.....

KEYDET
11-09-02, 12:19 PM
That's neat ... another JAG wann-a-B and later (should politics be my gig) I'll see about president or helping in the elections. I'm 6 year reservist .... headed to boot 030603 then on to a local college and then after that I'm headed to the Virginia Military Institute (I can't go next year cause i grad to too late). Best of luck to everyone...I hope everyone's "plans" don't go corrupt :-)

AKAMarine23
11-11-02, 02:15 AM
Hi my name is Jennifer and I am finally leaving for Boot Camp in January. It took me two years to score a 76 on the ASVAB,so hopefully my MOS will change in time and I can go on to be a JAG. I guess I am like most of you guys! I plan to do the full 20 years.

firstsgtmike
11-11-02, 04:24 AM
To Jennifer, and all the rest of you guys (and girls).

Boot camp is a b**ch. Whether you're in for 2 or 30, it still pains the same.

However, when you amortize it over twenty years, it's not so bad.

It' s like buying a car for $20,000. If you keep it for 2 years before you total it, with no insurance, it cost you $10,000 a year.

If you kept it for 20 years, it only cost you $1,000 per year.

I'm a cheap SOB, I wanted my money's worth, and I got it.

Best of everything to all of you.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

wrbones
11-11-02, 07:04 AM
I've posted some more stuff on the Poolee forum about the test itself.

A cheap sob, huh! LOL. That's a good way to look at it First Sergeant! ;)

Listen up boys and girls! You'll live in fear and awe of a First Segeant one of these days! This one is a wise Man...for a First Sergeant that is!

22DevilPup87
11-11-02, 10:43 AM
Wow ... it's great to see the plans of others. I thought for a long time I was alone in my thinking ... felt kinda lonely for a while.

My plans are:
Graduate HS with the class of 2004 and then I'm off to NROTC. I'd like to go to George Washington U or U of South Florida. After 10 years active and 15 reserves (arbitrary numbers, but I know I want a military career. I'm not sure how long exactly) it'll be time to move on to politics. It looks like it'll be a race between me and RobertH to see who's the first Marine to become President.

Good luck, poolees (and normal, regular civilians like me that aren't there yet, but will be) and thank you, Marines for your guidance.

Jess

samiegirl
11-13-02, 08:10 PM
I scored a 64 on my first try at the ASVAB, then after i got discharged from the DEP program to retake the ASVAB, i scored a 84, had to go back to MEPS the next day to take a confirmation test ( make...

simmer
11-25-02, 03:38 AM
i got a 55 on my asvab (not the highest) but im going 03 infantry and my date to leave is jan 13 2003...... cant wait to fire the first shot out of my m-16

gekko
12-18-02, 07:59 PM
I scored 93 on the ASVAB, going infantry.

DevilPup2004
12-20-02, 10:02 AM
I haven't taken the ASVAB yet. I'm homeschooled, and our district refuses to let me take it with them. My Recruiter can't take me down to a local National Guard unit where they administer the ASVAB until I'm a senior (that will be next year.)

I'd like to become an officer of Marines someday. I doubt I'll get accepted to USNA or get an NROTC scholarship, but I'm applying for both anyway. I would absolutely love to attend VMI, but with out of state tuition, there's almost no way that I can. But we'll see what kind of scholarships I get yet.

Right now, I'm a cadet in the United States Air Force Auxiliary (the Civil Air Patrol). In the Cadet Program, I'm learning a ton about leadership. Another option I'm looking at is enlisting in the Reserves and attending a junior college around my current AO. That way, I can get just a little enlisted experience and some more leadership training through the Civil Air Patrol as I get my degree. Then hopefully I'll get accepted for OCS and go AD from there.

I'm looking at either MP or Comm for my Reserves MOS, and if I get accepted to OCS, I'm not sure what kind of contract I'd want. Probably ground.

MOSs make for too many decisions. I just want to be a Marine!

leroy8541
12-21-02, 06:34 AM
DEP good luck on the plans i am guessing you know that you can't enlist for scout sniper or recon or 8th and I, those jobs are for the chosin few. But you are heading in the right direction with the 03 field. I can give you a few tips on getting what you want but if you don't qualify you may want to try somthing else. 20/20 vision is a must no corrective lenses what so ever are allowed and you will have to qualify 2x expert w/ an M-16 a2 just to be considered for a tryout. Remember this also being an expert rifleman is only about 1/4 of the 8541's job you will be the eyes and ears of the Bn. and the protector of your marines, and when you and your spotter are all alone everything is personal! No one will like you, you and other snipers will not be accepted by the rest of the guys. Your only thanks will be a knuckle sandwich by a drunken marine for being a weirdo.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to scare you off or anything like that, because good snipers are in short supply, just a little heads up on the future. SEemper Fi , good luck.

young_dog19
12-31-02, 02:04 PM
Wow, some of you really got some high scores! My score was only a 72. I plan on trying for Public Affairs. Good luck to you all!

12-31-02, 06:01 PM
What relationship exists between the AFQT and the ASVAB?

Happy New Year!

Steve

firstsgtmike
12-31-02, 06:56 PM
Steve,

I think their names says it all.

AFQT Armed Forces Qualification Test

ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

The AFQT is like an IQ test. The ASVAB measures potential in various broad aeas.

All such tests are essentially predictions. Limitations may be overcome. Potential may never be realized.

At best they are yardsticks to determine if the individual exceeded or failed to achieve expectations.

ktriplett
01-05-03, 11:13 PM
I scored an 87 on the ASVAB and will be shipping out April 7. My MOS is Air Crew.

wrbones
01-05-03, 11:28 PM
Congratulations ktriplett. Take a long look around our Poolee and Mentor forums. Lots of stuff to help ya out and even a couple of things fer parents and family members!

Joeadavis18
01-16-03, 08:34 AM
I scored a 90 on the ASVAB, and plan on going into Aviation Electronics. After I took it I was waiting on my recriuter to pick me up, and an army recriuter asked me what my score was. (He actually thought he could talk me out of joining the Marines, and go into the Army)

Seeley
01-17-03, 10:44 PM
I'm a high school junior and got an 80/99 on my ASVAB and want to be an MP.

01-18-03, 07:23 AM
Thanks TOP, never knew what ASVAB was.

It must be closer to what was given in Boot ~39 years ago to try to match recruits to an MOS. Seems as though that was a all day testing for some, not all.

I wasn't told my MOS until I recieved orders leaving ITR. Actually, all they did was point me to a training Bn. where I had to do the work to get the MOS.

Take care-Steve

young_dog19
01-20-03, 06:58 PM
wow! an 80! keep at it seeley!

USMCFOREVER
02-10-03, 08:44 PM
Whast up Im Eric, I got a 72 on the ASVAB and am going into communications. I plan on staying in the corps till they make me retire :)

Phoenix Rogue
02-11-03, 11:56 AM
I haven't taken mine yet but my Guidence C. is ordering it to come in for my friends and I. My private school didn't have any in stock for us.

Any tips for when I take it?

ktriplett
02-11-03, 12:15 PM
Just take your time and you'll do fine.

Chevy2233
02-11-03, 08:44 PM
I scored a 57 on the ASVAB. I leave for boot camp July14. My MOS is Infantry. I plan on staying in the Maine Corps for as long as they'll let me stay.

assault69
02-17-03, 03:07 PM
did anyone take the pratice asvab test

ktriplett
02-17-03, 03:59 PM
the practice ASVAB is nothing like the real thing. Take it to get used to how they're going to ask the questions, but don't expect the same information.

albert torcini
02-17-03, 04:00 PM
I ENLISTED IN PHILA. AND BEFORE I LEFT FOR BOOT CAMP I TOOK A LONG TEST. IS THE ASVAB TEST GIVEN BEFORE BOOT CAMP OR THE ONES I TOOK IN BOOT CAMP. ITS BEEN SO LONG I CAN'T REMEMBER.
I JUST KNOW I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH A ENGINEER MOS COMING OUT OF BOOT CAMP.
HEY STEVE, WE MUST HAVE BEEN IN AT THE SAME TIME, MY SERIAL NUMBER IS 2096936 I'AM BOOT YO YOU.I GUESS I'AM STILL A SHOWER SHOE.HEY,THEY WERE SOME GREAT TIMES.
I WAS IN BOOT CAMP THE SUMMER OF "64". GRADUATED WITH PLT
261. VIET NAM APR.10,65. SUB UNIT #2 9TH MEB.

SEMPER FI, AL T

jenrmurray
02-18-03, 08:51 AM
I got an 81 on the ASVAB and my EL score was 120. I was overly nervous about it and studied a lot... which ended up paying off because I finished the exam long before people who had started before me did.

If anyone hasn't taken it yet and wants to study up on it, I highly recommend Barron's ASVAB guide.. over-prepared me... the questions in the guide are harder than the ones on the ASVAB, so on exam day, nothing is a surprise.

assault69
02-18-03, 09:04 AM
i took the practice test and got a 43. i believe it is out of 52. is that a good start for one who diddnt study?

blacklion
02-18-03, 09:19 AM
i got an 87 on my asvab and i am doing infantry. i hope i am just a basic rifleman or scoutsniper. I have not figured that out as it was a recent change from security forces i believe it was the uv or uw slot. the one that guards the whitehouse.I love the president but if we go to war i dont want to be stuck in the states. "can't win a purple heart waiting state side". can someone tell me more about the options availible with infantry.also it seems to be a trend that high scorers on the asvab tend to take combat arms mos's like infantry and tanks is there any official numbers on that.

the proud lion

wrbones
02-18-03, 09:28 AM
They put ya where they need ya Blacklion. Things have changed since I went in, but I took the test and they were needin' grunts. I wanted to be a grunt. Guess where I ended up? Workin' on helocopters! LOL. My score back then was 95/126.

One thing, though. My D.I.'s always said a purple heart was a ****-up award....

Alexander Haile
02-18-03, 09:48 AM
I'm going to take the ASVAB in about a week. Any tips? Also, when and were can I take the AFQT? Any tips for it?

thedrifter
02-18-03, 09:49 AM
Hey Bones, my DI told us that the Purple Heart Medal was for those who forgot to duck or left their backsides up too high......LMAO

The Drifter

firstsgtmike
02-18-03, 11:07 AM
Kids,

The ASVAB is used for a reason, to determine your potential in a variety of areas. The results will follow you for the rest of your time as a Marine.

Cheat, crib, cram, and skew the results will cost you in the long run.

You MAY be placed in a class which exceeds your capabilities. It will take you forever to make up and catch up.

I have no head for electronics. I could have crammed, and achieved a higher score. I would have finished at the bottom of my class and been a drone during my "obligated" service.

Instead, I chose to have the ASVAB reflect my true capabilities.

It worked for me. It showed me where my true strongpoints were, and I used that knowledge to my advantage.

We, the Corps and I, entered into a win-win relationship. I was given the opportunity to do what I do best, and I did it.

I would have been a ****-poor electronic tech. And both the Corps and I would have been the loser.

I would say, "Suit yourself", but you are going to do that anyway. There is an old saying; "Don't let your mouth overload your ass".

I would suggest, "Don't let inflated test scores give you more than you can handle."

I would rather place first in a two meter dash, than finish last in a marathon.

In everything, and in every way, make each day a new record for your personal best.

If you do that, how can you lose?

Phoenix Rogue
02-18-03, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
Kids,

The ASVAB is used for a reason, to determine your potential in a variety of areas. The results will follow you for the rest of your time as a Marine.

Cheat, crib, cram, and skew the results will cost you in the long run.

You MAY be placed in a class which exceeds your capabilities. It will take you forever to make up and catch up.

I have no head for electronics. I could have crammed, and achieved a higher score. I would have finished at the bottom of my class and been a drone during my "obligated" service.

Instead, I chose to have the ASVAB reflect my true capabilities.

It worked for me. It showed me where my true strongpoints were, and I used that knowledge to my advantage.

We, the Corps and I, entered into a win-win relationship. I was given the opportunity to do what I do best, and I did it.

I would have been a ****-poor electronic tech. And both the Corps and I would have been the loser.

I would say, "Suit yourself", but you are going to do that anyway. There is an old saying; "Don't let your mouth overload your ass".

I would suggest, "Don't let inflated test scores give you more than you can handle."

I would rather place first in a two meter dash, than finish last in a marathon.

In everything, and in every way, make each day a new record for your personal best.

If you do that, how can you lose?

So would you suggest not to study for the test? That way it reflects your TRUE self?

I could definetly understand the reasoning in that. Being that it's an apptitude test and not a test otherwise seen.

On a side note:
Do you need a special number min. to be accepted to the Marines? Doesn't seem likely but you never know.

wrbones
02-18-03, 02:51 PM
Phoenix/assault69, yer score of 43 isn't goin' to cut it. You might think about another career path.

You almost sound like a troll, what with two or is it three different usernames now? It might be four. I'm startin' to lose track.

( Just a head's up for you folks that haven't noticed )

Phoenix Rogue
02-18-03, 03:13 PM
Were not the same people, I've explained it before, we are in a school network and we often end up using the same computer.

There's no point in having more than having more then one name.

This isn't the first forumn I've been on and im not 6. This is getting ridiculous. If you want to PM me and get our personal info, SS#, blood type, or any other info that you need to Identify us i'll be glad to oblige. Further more I'm barely ever on the same IP between home and 30 other school Pc's.

wrbones
02-18-03, 03:22 PM
Three of ya using the same puter at the same time, plus more usernames on that same IP? Times are a little off as well. That school computer room must be open an awfully long time......

Needless to say, I and a few others around here are not convinced. Particularly as how PM's in the past didn't seem to get a satisfactory explanation.

One or two of us actually have kids in school.....

wrbones
02-18-03, 03:29 PM
Isn't it interesting that as soon as one of them signed off the site, they were all gone at EXACTLY the same time?

02-18-03, 08:23 PM
Albert. we did enjoy the sunny skies of San Diego together. I graduated in Plt. 318 (Gomer's Platoon) and after leaving ITR, I was in the Communication training unit at San Diego for close to a year.

I can still remember taking the battery of tests when I was in Boot, asked on paper if I would accept a position in Electronics. I said 'NO', but guess where I was sent?

I also recall that Commanding Officer at the Denver Recuiting facility telling me I was the first person that had a perfect score on the AFQT since he had been stationed there. (Feb'64)

Proud of all the experiences, wish somedays I could contribute more.

Take care-Steve

S/F

blacklion
02-19-03, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
They put ya where they need ya Blacklion. Things have changed since I went in, but I took the test and they were needin' grunts. I wanted to be a grunt. Guess where I ended up? Workin' on helocopters! LOL. My score back then was 95/126.

One thing, though. My D.I.'s always said a purple heart was a ****-up award....

i think there is a miss communications. i have already enlisted and my contract says 0300 infantry. i had originally requested infantry but there were no availible slots. so they offered the uv or uw slots. this way i could still go to infantry school.by the time i initially enlisted and went to meps a slot opened.also the purple heart remark is just a quote i read in an article on famous marine quotes. i believe it was said in korea. it is originally,"you can't win a purple heart by hiding in a fox hole. my favorit quote from that article is "come on you sns of b#tchs do you want to live forever".:banana:

wrbones
02-19-03, 12:22 PM
Yep. There was a miscommunication! You didn't hear what I said! LMAO.

I know exactly what you were doin', and meant what I said! ;)

All of those quotes and more are posted on the site somewhere!

You end up where the Corps needs ya.

Alexander Haile
02-19-03, 07:54 PM
I am about to take the ASVAB for the first time in my Junior year of High School. I beleive I'll make a great score in Mechanics, since I am one, but I don't really know the other catagories... What are they???

wrbones
02-19-03, 08:14 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2287&highlight=ASVAB

READ the POOL-ee and Mentor FOrums!.

If I got to read to ya I'm gonna get ****ed!

1fastss
02-24-03, 07:05 PM
I scored an 86- ship June, 0331 Reserves-- PLC Air

kbelovarac
03-03-03, 03:43 PM
well, i scored an 88 on the pre-ASVAB, so ill probably do the same as my other marines buddies (90 or above). I'm going 0300, and hopefully I'll be able to goto scout sniper school in a couple of years.

sirmess1
03-05-03, 11:11 PM
98 on my ASvab, my recruiter started drowling. He tried to get me into hight tech satellite MOS's.
Heh, but I was like "No".
Only one job for me

Fakeluke
03-12-03, 09:16 PM
I scored a 90; ship July 5th, reserves, imagery analysis

Seeley
03-12-03, 09:18 PM
sirmess1, what MOS do you want? Tell me its something that isn't going to waste your tallents if you scored a 98 on the ASVAB. You should go where you are going to enjoy yourself and be a signifigant contribution to the Marine Corps. Just my 2 cents :).

dikatry
03-12-03, 10:34 PM
Im from Wa state, got an 81 on the ASVAB my mos is LAAD gunner

FutureUSMC04
03-15-03, 12:12 PM
im 16 just took the ASVAB scored a 57 and i plan on being an MP

KEYDET
03-24-03, 07:46 AM
heh devil pup looks like you missed a spot. ... my plans are simple .. graduate VMI with a major in computer science and a minor in International Studies then on to Law school to get a JD Degree to become a Lawyer in the USMC in JAG .. then when the opportunity presents itself I'll be in the candidacy ... I'll be the senior class of 03' .... looks like I'll see ya round'... Hoorah!

03Infantry
03-24-03, 08:47 PM
I'm going in for infantry. I'm also an 03 senior.

Cheezballz
04-05-03, 12:25 PM
i scored a 73 and my MOS is Construction/Utilities. Engineers 'Construction and Destruction!'

kilo1
04-05-03, 12:49 PM
dep walker then your mos would be a 8541 good luck ever shat a m40a1 before?

osborned
03-27-07, 02:16 PM
99 AFQT, 140's across the board on the qualifying scores, including GT. MOS is Data Systems.

Could this thread get stickied?

Kildars
03-27-07, 02:29 PM
Wow, I was so confused with the first few posts, people saying they were 18 and taking the asvab recently and using the Corporal avatar. Then I looked at the date of the posts. This is an old bump.

osborned
03-27-07, 02:39 PM
Yeah, found it by searching for info on the ASVAB. That's why I wanted it stickied because it's been around a while.

poolee18
03-27-07, 03:34 PM
I scored a 35 ( I took it my soph year didnt really try on it, I used the ASVAB as a last resort and the Marine Corps isnt a last resort I know this would be the best thing i can do in my life) and my mos is 03xx.

egm
03-27-07, 03:40 PM
03xx

ICLB88
03-27-07, 04:54 PM
got a 67
03xx

BrentAndrew
03-27-07, 05:33 PM
0200 or 2600

Soon2BeVIP
03-27-07, 05:54 PM
30xx....or if I'm talking with my recruiter "Charlie Charlie"...not sure what that means...I know it means CC, but I don't know what that code is for

coplepk04
03-27-07, 07:01 PM
94, 138s and 140s in the lines
5811 Military Police

Doing that in the reserves, finishing my last year of college and applying for Officer Candidate School. If I don't get into OCS I'm augmenting to active duty enlisted and applying to OCS every chance I get.

PatriotGirl422
03-27-07, 09:58 PM
I got a 93 and my MOS is 0151-Administrative. However they told me I'd be doing counterintelligence within my MOS. I plan to become an officer too, after college.

HLeyb
03-27-07, 11:00 PM
ASVAB score was a 92
My MOS is 0627- HF SATCOM

I also want to finish school and maybe go down the officer route one day. I don't like thinking that far ahead though, things change very quickly.

First priority is to become a Marine and that wont change!

bclark2137
03-28-07, 10:38 AM
Just wondering how ya'll did on the ASVAB and what you plain on going into. I'm going Infantry and am also going to be a Scout Sniper, I scored a 73 on the ASVAB.

I made a 90 on the ASVAB, and everyone says I should go into something more technical, but my MOS is 0351, Assaultman. Hopefully I will someday be good enough to get into Marine Force Recon.

stephanieh
04-04-07, 05:18 PM
What does ASVAB stand for?

YLDNDN6
04-04-07, 05:22 PM
Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery...the military placement test, basically

osborned
04-04-07, 05:26 PM
Why did a bunch of the last posts in this thread go away?

Soon2BeVIP
04-05-07, 10:31 PM
whats up with all the high scores on here...i got an 88...but all the kids i met at the hotel the night before MEPS didn't find the ASVAB that easy...some of them were talking about taking it twice before getting a 31 or whatever you have to get.

poolie13
04-06-07, 08:12 AM

iaredavid
04-06-07, 06:50 PM
I got a 99 back in high school, and a 99 again a few weeks ago [after like 2 years of college]. Shipping out on the 16th. Going in as 0300 and gonna work my ass off for a chance to be Recon. Regardless, I'm happy with my decision- wouldn't a smart grunt be a better grunt? :beer:

bgsuwoody
04-07-07, 04:47 PM
I got a 97 and will be going 03XX

thezero
04-10-07, 08:56 AM
Ok yesterday I found out that my cousin, PFC Jonah Orff (Army) scored a 44 on his ASVAB and he is working with satellites. Then I have a friend who took the ASVAB's last week and failed by two points? Is the test really that hard, and what are the requirements for jobs, such as how high do your scores have to be in order to qualify for certain jobs. Thanks for any replys.

Matt

osborned
04-10-07, 09:36 AM
thezero, the test is only hard if you don't try. I got a 99 by putting absolutely everything I had into it. If you graduated high school you shouldn't have an excuse for failing it at all. The percentile score on the test that allows you to get in at all is only determined by math and reading skills. Now it's kinda hard to buff up on your reading by now, but if anyone here is having trouble passing, get a math tutor and go over some sample questions.

grodunt
04-10-07, 11:08 AM

rick777
04-27-07, 12:01 AM
I got a 59.lol. Guess I should have studied harder, but I passed and thats all that matters. I'm going into Legal Services, but thinking of switching to Infantry.

mgfkb8
04-27-07, 01:27 AM
58xx Military Police & Corrections

tooltime185
08-05-07, 10:07 PM
Not trying to be a smart guy, but those scores seem low. I got a GT of 110 and I was in LAAD (7212). They did always call me the smart one, but I thought this was average score.

tooltime185
08-05-07, 10:15 PM
he ASVAB subtests for determining the composites are: General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), Auto and Shop Information (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), Electronics Information (EI), and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension, scaled (VE).
Current aptitude area composites used for MOS selection for the Marine Corps are as follows:

CL- Clerical, Administrative, Supply & Finance - NO + CS + VE (Note: CL Score was eliminated in late 2002. All job Marine Corps requirements that required a CL score were changed to GT Score at this time. The score requirements are the same. In other words, if a job previously required a CL score of 90, then it was changed to require a GT score of 90).

GT - General Technical, Special and Officer Programs

tooltime185
08-05-07, 10:19 PM
"Currently, most fields that are in demand require General Technical (GT) scores of at least 110," said Whitehead. "For that reason, one of the most important things I take a look at with first term Mariners during their 24-month interview is their GT score. If they are below a 110, I recommend they retake the ASVAB and perhaps look into a preparatory program like MASP. We?ve had Marines go through the program and improve their scores significantly."

So I am not sure why the low scores. Not trying to be a smart a**, just wondering.

LaResistance
08-06-07, 01:59 AM
"Currently, most fields that are in demand require General Technical (GT) scores of at least 110," said Whitehead. "For that reason, one of the most important things I take a look at with first term Mariners during their 24-month interview is their GT score. If they are below a 110, I recommend they retake the ASVAB and perhaps look into a preparatory program like MASP. We?ve had Marines go through the program and improve their scores significantly."

So I am not sure why the low scores. Not trying to be a smart a**, just wondering.
Most people were posting their AFQT score, not their GT score.

LaResistance
08-06-07, 02:03 AM
AFQT- 79
GT- 118

08XX, artillery.

gutstotake
08-06-07, 02:29 AM
I leave 20070917 for boot in San Diego. Scored a 93 on the ASVAB, which was a bit low in my estimation. I opted for 0231, intel, which would allow for lateral moves into linguistics, counter-intel, crypto, etc. My brain is better suited for helping my country, as opposed to using my back.

Danman
08-06-07, 09:50 PM
yeah i was told that the AFQT score doesnt really matter and the GT score is the main one that you want to shoot for. also i was told the average GT is 95-105, and inregards to the post above I'm looking at the Intel field but also security forces, well see what happens, my scores where,
AFQT- 60, MM-118, GT-114, EL-112, CL-101

jungholee90
08-06-07, 10:09 PM
I got 88 on ASVAB. EL-136, GT-126, MM-121
I am going to be choosing Aircraft Maintenance. I'm waiting until Oct.1st when I can get my job locked in.

HurricaneRJ
08-06-07, 10:39 PM
I am going to be choosing Aircraft Maintenance. I'm waiting until Oct.1st when I can get my job locked in.
Another winger in the making.

Mines were.
AFQT: 68
GT: 110

gutstotake
08-07-07, 01:44 PM
AFQT 93
GT 124

Plan on switching to 0231 Intel when my clearance gets through, til then, going Linguistics.

Shipdate 20070917

backpack
08-07-07, 11:10 PM
Afqt 98
Gt 142

Polee Burnett
08-22-07, 10:48 AM
Scored a 72 on the asvab.

I originally wanted 0311 but infantry is backed up so im assigned Combat Support, i want to shoot for M1A1 Tank Crewman.

HurricaneRJ
08-22-07, 12:00 PM
If you wanted 0311 MOS. Wait until October when they become open again. That's what I'm doing.

08-22-07, 03:25 PM
Plan on switching to 0231 Intel when my clearance gets through, til then, going Linguistics.

I hate to be the one to break to you, but you definitely need a clearance for 267x, and I don't know how you plan to "switch" your MOS before your first re-up.

HurricaneRJ
08-22-07, 03:33 PM
AFQT: 68
GT: 110
1. 03xx Infantry
2. MCSF
3. MP

Rbatteate
08-22-07, 05:13 PM
115 GT
111 Clerical
So I could do any job I was interested in. All my line scores were over a 105

crazymjb
08-22-07, 08:44 PM
I took the ASVAB in school in February and it will be valid when I go up to MEPS. 99 AFQT and lowest score by percentile was 96th in math knowlege, which surprised me since I thought I got every one correct, I don't have my actual GT score in front of me, but having taken automotive and electrical engineering courses greatly helped in that area, everything besides the MK score was 98th or 99th percentile. As for my MOS, all I have ever wanted: 0311 - Infantry Rifleman in the SMCR

I probably overstuddied, doing all the practice tests and studying what I did wrong religiously. Also, since it was in school I had no qualms about taking as much time as was allowed. So I figured go for the gold.

Mike

JCam0331
08-22-07, 11:07 PM
1. 03xx Infantry
2. MCSF
3. MP

By MCSF you mean "Marine Corps Special Forces" correct?

By that you probably mean Force Reconnaissance...thats definitely not an MOS you can just "pick".

JCam0331
08-22-07, 11:08 PM
I took the ASVAB in school in February and it will be valid when I go up to MEPS. 99 AFQT and lowest score by percentile was 96th in math knowlege, which surprised me since I thought I got every one correct, I don't have my actual GT score in front of me, but having taken automotive and electrical engineering courses greatly helped in that area, everything besides the MK score was 98th or 99th percentile. As for my MOS, all I have ever wanted: 0311 - Infantry Rifleman in the SMCR

I probably overstuddied, doing all the practice tests and studying what I did wrong religiously. Also, since it was in school I had no qualms about taking as much time as was allowed. So I figured go for the gold.

Mike

99 AFQT? you need to get yourself to Officer Candidates School or the Naval Academy, not recruit training.

Rbatteate
08-23-07, 01:54 AM
It sounds a little fishy, how everybody got such a high score. When I took my test there was at least 25 other people there, and with a 73 I had the second highest score. Not to say you guys are liers, but someone has to be stretching the truth here.

crazymjb
08-23-07, 02:11 AM
99 AFQT? you need to get yourself to Officer Candidates School or the Naval Academy, not recruit training.
My school guidance councilor said the same thing and he was an officer (although I think my recruiter told me he resigned before getting his comission, which would make him not an officer). I am enlisting first and attending college as a reservist, after that I will make a decision about how I want to continue with my time in the Marine Corps. The enlisted ranks are more attractive to me for a myriad of reasons, however. My service within them could only help with any potential service as an officer.

I highly doubt anybody here lying about their ASVAB scores. I know a couple kids in DEP at our RSS with 99s or who shipped and had 99s, and many have over 80. I again would attribute my scores to studying, being a good student, and as far as the GT stuff goes having completed courses in electrical engineering and automotive service. My recruiter said anyone I get to pass the ASVAB who currently can't I get towards PFC.

Mike

HurricaneRJ
08-23-07, 06:04 AM
By MCSF you mean "Marine Corps Special Forces" correct?

By that you probably mean Force Reconnaissance...thats definitely not an MOS you can just "pick".
No LCpl. I don't mean Marine Corps Special Forces. MCSF is the abbreviation for Marine Corps Security Forces.

I'm not gunning for Recon so early. I want to wait on that until I'm an NCO.

1. 03xx Infantry
2. 81xx Security Forces
3. 58xx Military Police

marinepooly1361
08-23-07, 06:53 AM
It sounds a little fishy, how everybody got such a high score. When I took my test there was at least 25 other people there, and with a 73 I had the second highest score. Not to say you guys are liers, but someone has to be stretching the truth here.

73 is your overall score. The higher ones that everyone is saying are the broken down sections of the test. such as the technical (gt) mechanical (mm) and the other ones with a like code next to them.

anyways

85 overall

i dont have my scores, my recruiter does, but from my memory

142 mm
124?? gt

they said at MEPS I could basically do any MOS that I wanted:banana:

JCam0331
08-23-07, 09:09 AM
No LCpl. I don't mean Marine Corps Special Forces. MCSF is the abbreviation for Marine Corps Security Forces.

I'm not gunning for Recon so early. I want to wait on that until I'm an NCO.

1. 03xx Infantry
2. 81xx Security Forces
3. 58xx Military Police

No kidding - DUH I'm an idiot ignore me

JCam0331
08-23-07, 09:10 AM
My school guidance councilor said the same thing and he was an officer (although I think my recruiter told me he resigned before getting his comission, which would make him not an officer). I am enlisting first and attending college as a reservist, after that I will make a decision about how I want to continue with my time in the Marine Corps. The enlisted ranks are more attractive to me for a myriad of reasons, however. My service within them could only help with any potential service as an officer.

I highly doubt anybody here lying about their ASVAB scores. I know a couple kids in DEP at our RSS with 99s or who shipped and had 99s, and many have over 80. I again would attribute my scores to studying, being a good student, and as far as the GT stuff goes having completed courses in electrical engineering and automotive service. My recruiter said anyone I get to pass the ASVAB who currently can't I get towards PFC.

Mike

If he turned down his commission he is nothing but a CIVILIAN. If he claimed to be an officer he is lying.

crazymjb
08-23-07, 01:25 PM
That is why I am a bit confused. Do you have to have been a Marine to be accepted into the Marine Corps League, because I know he is in the MCL.

He aknowleges that he resigned right after MLK was shot (he is black and I guess was having some trouble with racism as it was), I don't know if he means he resigned from OCS or resigned from his comission (can officers do that?). My recruiter who knows him, not sure how well, says he believe he resigned before finishing trianing, meaning he is not a Marine.

Mike

brian21johansen
08-23-07, 01:58 PM
I got a 77 on the ASVAB.
As of right now my MOS is MP, but I really want to change it. I'll talk to my recruiter tonight to see if I can still change it. I'm thinking about changing it to 0311.

JCam0331
08-23-07, 04:30 PM
That is why I am a bit confused. Do you have to have been a Marine to be accepted into the Marine Corps League, because I know he is in the MCL.

He aknowleges that he resigned right after MLK was shot (he is black and I guess was having some trouble with racism as it was), I don't know if he means he resigned from OCS or resigned from his comission (can officers do that?). My recruiter who knows him, not sure how well, says he believe he resigned before finishing trianing, meaning he is not a Marine.

Mike

If he was commissioned then later resigned his commission then yes he would be a former Marine Officer.

If he just straight up turned down his commission then no.

crazymjb
08-23-07, 04:33 PM
So than, can an officer resign his comission at any time, or is he under a contract for X years once he accepts it?

Mike

aaronk
08-23-07, 06:30 PM
I'm 22, so I surprised myself by how much I retained from school.

My Scores:
QT 55
GT 105
EL 110
MM 111
CL 107

I'm signed as an Avionics Technician.

JCam0331
08-24-07, 12:15 PM
So than, can an officer resign his comission at any time, or is he under a contract for X years once he accepts it?

Mike

Ok, don't take this as 100% accurate because I'm not 100% sure either. Perhaps Lieutenant Koble can explain better.

But once you contract initially and accept your commission (usually 3.5 years as a ground contract) and you pick up Captain, you are allowed to stay in for a certain amount of time until you get Major. After Major you can do 20. But in bwtween you can resign your commission any time.

I hope I'm not too far off.

SladeReaper13
08-24-07, 06:03 PM
I scoreda 73 on the Asvab and my MOS is LAAD Gunner

Fubar5812
08-25-07, 12:31 PM
scored 44 on the asvab(ouch!) but somehow got higher than a 95 on mechanical comp.

MOS 2111 small arms technician.(armorer)

Booma
08-25-07, 05:03 PM
I scored 98 on the AFQT, 144 GT, don't remember the specific sections but the others were 147, 141, 137. Going to try for linguist but I've yet to take the DLAB. Second choice would be air traffic control or intel.

Morse
10-18-07, 04:48 AM
85 ASVAB
MOS : 5811 (i want to volunteer for 5812)

RockSteady85
10-18-07, 09:25 AM
I got a 90 on my ASVAB and I have yet to figure what my MOS will be...I should find out tomorrow from my recruiter I think when we go to work out. I really wanted 5811, but that is already filled up, although my recruiter put it as my first choice anyway. He said he expects a call from them yelling at him for putting two MOS' that were unavailable (5811-MP and 5711-NBC Defense Specialist), but he said he is going to fight for the 5811 MOS for me, which is cool of him. The only MOS that was available that sounded at least somewhat decent was 0511-MAGTF Planning Specialist. I have a feeling I'm getting that one. Oh well.

RockSteady85
10-18-07, 06:25 PM
ASVAB of 90, and I should find out my MOS tomorrow. Two of the three MOS' my recruiter put down were unavailable at the time, but he said when they call him to yell at him and tell him what an idiot he is for putting down two MOS' that were inavailable, he will fight for the 5811 MOS I wanted, but who knows. I'm kind of nervous LOL.

Ub3rmike
10-18-07, 11:18 PM
96 on the ASVAB.
My recruiters jokingly questioned my performance because I didn't study and the first time I came in I missed one on the pre-screen/practice test.

Going 0311 with the 92 Day Program (still working on the college appliction process) in the hopes of getting commissioned through PLC. But just as they say, you have to learn to walk before you run, I'm just working on getting through as an enlisted before I even really focus on trying to become an officer.

Morse
10-19-07, 12:21 AM
You got a 96 and went 0311? Wow... Good job on the 96!

ElDiablo
10-19-07, 08:44 AM
Not a Poolee yet, but got a 73 on the ASVABS they made us take in school. Gonna go Infantry...one more year until I can DEP...so close.

RandallH1989
10-19-07, 09:53 AM
66 on the ASVAB. 03xx MOS, ship 20071105.

scotties7167160
10-20-07, 03:25 PM
My name is Johnathon Hanes
I scored a 74 on the ASVAB, and am in the process of siging for the 11xx or the 13xx feild. I ship out 20080728.

Corndog
10-20-07, 04:01 PM
I made an 86 and I am going into Public Affairs.

fs19
10-20-07, 04:20 PM
92 on the ASVAB, 03XX with UZ contract.

Books
10-20-07, 08:04 PM
You got a 96 and went 0311? Wow... Good job on the 96!

The Corps needs smart Marines everywhere. Especially in the infantry.

Joshcui2389
10-20-07, 09:12 PM
95 on the ASVAB. My MOS is Legal Services Specialist, and later on, I'm going to do the MECEP program and try to be a JAG. :)

Smitty Puffs
10-20-07, 11:19 PM
I got a 79. Goin infantry.

Tremont8585
10-21-07, 01:33 AM
85 - AG - Enlisted Flight Crew

uncgsprtn
10-21-07, 03:22 PM

jungholee90
10-21-07, 05:39 PM

I forgot to update. I did get code AF: Aircraft Mechanic.
60XX - Aircraft Maintenance
61XX - Helicopter/Tiltrotor Mechanic
62XX - Fixed-Wing Aircraft Mechanic

valiantknight
10-22-07, 05:35 PM
Ship Date: 20080107

ASVAB: 95

MOS: BX Contract - One of these three

Data Networks Specialist
Tactical Network Specialist
MAGTF Planning

skaterjon89
11-04-07, 03:04 PM
I scored an 85 on the ASVAB, I'll most likely be doing Security Forces or Field Artillery Support man I believe, the guy who calls in the airstrikes...

zackmerc
11-04-07, 03:13 PM
Scored 93
My GT score was 114
They offered me Administrative but I joined the Corps to do something more exciting than pushing papers. I chose the Infantry.

I thought I was going to be the smartest grunt but my shooting coach was a 0331 and he had 99 on his ASVAB.

Fire Support Man (0861) is the forward observer. He calls in more than just air strikes. Its artillery barrages, mortar fire, naval gunfire, and much more.

KRenee87
11-04-07, 08:04 PM
ASVAB score: 83
MOS: 40xx Data Systems

AMW
11-04-07, 10:54 PM
99 on the ASVAB, going for an intel slot.

SAD
11-04-07, 11:00 PM
90 on the ASVAB going into admin.

bgsuwoody
11-04-07, 11:01 PM
Scored 93
My GT score was 114
They offered me Administrative but I joined the Corps to do something more exciting than pushing papers. I chose the Infantry.

I thought I was going to be the smartest grunt but my shooting coach was a 0331 and he had 99 on his ASVAB.

Fire Support Man (0861) is the forward observer. He calls in more than just air strikes. Its artillery barrages, mortar fire, naval gunfire, and much more.

Don't worry Zack, I got a 97 on my ASVAB and I am going to be a grunt too.

Parks
11-05-07, 03:53 PM
ASVAB: 82
MOS: Intelligence (Waiting for exact MOS)

DEAVILA
11-05-07, 04:03 PM
:cry: OK. Now i feel Dumb. A 74 on the ASVAB is not as good compared to all your scores.

killerinstinct
11-05-07, 04:07 PM
:cry: OK. Now i feel Dumb. A 74 on the ASVAB is not as good compared to all your scores.

nah don't be youre AFQT score isn't anything to do with what job you are able to perform or could be trained for. Its mostly just english and math. Its the line scores that count.

Just means you probalby txt message more than you write. since LOL OMG i just PWND that mofo w/ lzr beams PEW PEW.

Parks
11-05-07, 04:14 PM

I know the feeling. I went to MEPS feeling pretty proud of myself with my 82 and almost everyone there made an 86+. Kinda ruined my ego trip. lol

DEAVILA
11-05-07, 04:23 PM
WELL anything over 50 is supposed to be "GOOD"..but i still consider a 74 pretty low on my account. Wish i would have gotten a score in the 80's. That would have made me pretty happy.

prepgy
11-05-07, 06:02 PM
I got a 59 on my ASVAB..... I am going infantry for my MOS

ascatizzi
11-05-07, 06:14 PM
90 on the ASVAB, going 03xx

Doomtrigger
11-14-07, 02:58 PM
i think i am speical or something i scored a 26 but i had everything above 50 precent how does this happen this is the second time i took the test last time it was 22 and a few of them i went up from 33 to 51 in the math parts and yet i got a 26 can someone tell me what i am doing wrong:cry:

Fubar5812
11-15-07, 12:01 AM
26???! damn!

i got a 44 and feel like crap about it but 26?!

44 ASVAB
58xx Military Police

hoping for war dog handler.

JChebahtah
11-15-07, 12:09 AM
i think i am speical or something i scored a 26 but i had everything above 50 precent how does this happen this is the second time i took the test last time it was 22 and a few of them i went up from 33 to 51 in the math parts and yet i got a 26 can someone tell me what i am doing wrong:cry:

If you can, get an ASVAB study guide book. The english and math parts are what's most important on the test. If it's math you need help with, have someone help you with it. One of my friends got around 70 on the practice test at the RSS and when he took it at MEPS, his AFQT was 82. He said that the "tutoring" really helped a lot. When I took it, a lot of people got below the 50's and such. They'll just have to study a bit more and take it again so don't get so down on yourself. And also test stress plays into it so try to relax. Good luck!

Doomtrigger
11-15-07, 10:59 AM
and mind you i have not been in school for 4 years lol yeah and i was studying for the last 15 days i was not stressing this time i was like hell yeah i am going to pass but i was getting sick. The chairs there are annoying my left leg keeped falling asleep lol now yeah i was giving a good site to study for the asvab and i had asvab for dummies but that did not work so well as i see now

Yami Chasi
11-15-07, 02:25 PM
ASVAB 95 I think.

267x Cryptologic Linguist.

DEAVILA
11-15-07, 07:13 PM

ALL U HAVE TO DO IS STUDY!..Or get some tutoring or something. I've been helping out a few applicants at my RSS with Math and English. One of them went from a 12 on the practice test, to a 52 on the ASVAB. Whic is a pretty good improvement if u ask me. Go to a book store and buy a Practice ASVAB book, and study that. Im sure it'll help u out a Bit.;)

kathunx
11-15-07, 07:40 PM
94 on the ASVAB. Definitely going 03xx (preferably 0313) regardless.

PooleeThomas08
11-15-07, 11:44 PM
87 on the ASVAB, going in 03XX. Im gonna apply for recon...maybe be a DI one day. Who knows.

Doomtrigger
11-16-07, 12:02 AM
you know what is funny i scored a 52 on the pratice test

sleglb
11-16-07, 07:44 AM

The first time I took my ASVAB I got a 32. I felt like a dumb as$ man! I got on amazon.com and found a book called ASVAB for Dummies. I bought it, studied it, took the practice tests and then took the ASVAB again. My score increased to a 58 in 30 days. I'm 23 so I've been outa High School for a while now and my math skills were a little shaddy. Without that book I would not have qualified for the job I wanted (Crash Fire Rescue). Now I got it.

Kevin Lewis
11-16-07, 01:16 PM
83 on ASVAB, going 0656

Smitty Puffs
11-18-07, 08:40 PM
79. 0311

DemonicOne
11-18-07, 08:51 PM
78, Mp

DGardner
11-18-07, 09:28 PM
88 03xx

Mindgame
11-19-07, 12:59 PM
57 on the asvab. I havn't opened a book since I graduated in 03. I thought it was decent. That was until I came on here, and seen everyone's scores.

MOS... 3533 Logistics Vehicle System Operator .
I am currently undecided between that, or 1345 Engineer Equipment Operator. I think the 1345 would be something I can see myself doing in cavilian life as well.

kelley26
11-19-07, 05:41 PM
I did really ****ty on the asvab! An im goin to be 03' !! I wanted to be an 03 anyways! don't really need a good score to be 03'! but i really wish i would have tried harder! I took my asvab last yr. which was my junior year at school an i was undecided on what i wanted to do after high school... so i just carelessly took the damn test... an now i kinda regret it but its cool! I'm gettin to do what i want to do in the Marines!

jonjon123
11-22-07, 09:08 PM
hey every one i am new here, i am 15, and i am a sophmore in highschool. i am in NJROTC and my comander told me to take the ASVAB. I got a 97 and everyone is freakin out. i am not sure what i want to do in the marines. i also don't really know what this score is used for. help please.

motivator1025
12-11-07, 08:32 PM
89 asvab

signed for 0621 field radio operator.

Laz
12-11-07, 08:35 PM
74 on asvab. Didnt really care what my MOS was though, Im going reserve then straight to OCS so it didnt really matter a whole lot.

Flyboy11
12-11-07, 08:37 PM
I got a 79 on the ASVAB and going 1833 Amphibious Assualt Vehicle Crewman.

sawatzke82
12-11-07, 08:58 PM
I made a 59 on the ASVAB but plan to retake it after im in the fleet for awhile so I can achieve a score worthy for MECEP acceptence.
MOS:03xx infantry

TSchultz
12-11-07, 09:04 PM
ASVAB- 92

going into engineering 13XX, Hoping for 1371 (combat engineer).

Adikt916
12-11-07, 09:50 PM
I got a 73, but I want to do infantry or combat support. Anything where I am out in the field doin crazy ****.

I either want to do anti tank, or do combat support and go up in the front do some recon and call in arty and airstrikes:marine:

TriggerTrade
12-12-07, 09:24 PM
Got a 72 on the ASVAB signed up to tryout for Recon.

bvick27
12-13-07, 05:24 AM
97 on the ASVAB, 119 on the DLAB, MOS 2643 Cryptologic Linguist

-Ben

WKranz
12-13-07, 07:19 PM
96 on the asvab, 03xx MOS

Mindgame
12-14-07, 05:40 PM
hey every one i am new here, i am 15, and i am a sophmore in highschool. i am in NJROTC and my comander told me to take the ASVAB. I got a 97 and everyone is freakin out. i am not sure what i want to do in the marines. i also don't really know what this score is used for. help please.

This score is used to determine what jobs you are eligable for. Looks like your pretty much a go for anything you want to do.

KBailey1734
12-16-07, 10:51 AM
I got a 73 on the ASVAB, I qualified and signed up for 0651 - Data Network Specialist.

Adikt916
12-16-07, 11:05 AM
73, 0331 :evilgrin:

bugeater
12-17-07, 11:54 AM
ASVAB - 98, I don't remember exactly what I got on the line scores, but they were all above 130.
MOS - 5811 (MP)

AndyBowman
12-18-07, 12:38 PM
I got a 77 on the ASVAB. I'm open contract for now but I'm going to try to get 0231(intelligence specialist), 0211(counter intel specialist) or 4066 (Small Computer Systems Specialist). Any ways, I'll anywhere the Corps needs me to go. 10 more months 'til I ship out!

moto83
12-19-07, 12:15 PM
Well, I was pretty dissatisfied with my ASVAB score. I got a 75 but my line scores were all pretty good. I wanted to go re-test but my recruiter said that I was a go for any job I wanted with my scores. So I didn't re-test. I still want a higher score though. I'm a 4400, shooting for 4421 (legal services)

killerinstinct
12-19-07, 03:31 PM
Well, I was pretty dissatisfied with my ASVAB score. I got a 75 but my line scores were all pretty good. I wanted to go re-test but my recruiter said that I was a go for any job I wanted with my scores. So I didn't re-test. I still want a higher score though. I'm a 4400, shooting for 4421 (legal services)

dont worry about that its your line scores anyways

skaterjon89
01-09-08, 07:12 PM
ASVAB-84
MOS-Security Forces (however, I have been looking into Artillery Forward Scout Observer: 0861-Artillery-Fire Support Man Looks interesting...)
Boot Camp Ship: 20080408

Call me fish
01-10-08, 09:03 AM
ASVAB: 88
MOS: 0321 Reserve Reconnaissance Unit in Joliet, IL

I hope I deploy though, don't want to do all that training and then sit in a reserve unit.

~fish

desperado
01-10-08, 05:01 PM
91, 0844

kelley26
01-10-08, 09:07 PM
ASVAB: 88
MOS: 0321 Reserve Reconnaissance Unit in Joliet, IL

I hope I deploy though, don't want to do all that training and then sit in a reserve unit.

~fish

Then go active as a 03!

EHAY20
01-10-08, 09:19 PM
I did very well on my ASVAB. My AFQT is 92.
MM - 120
CL - 126
EL - 122
GT - 127

Line Scores:
GS - 57
AR - 63
WK - 56
PC - 64
MK - 65
EL - 53
AS - 57
MC -61
AO - 62
VE - 60

Infintry - Scout/Sniper

kelley26
01-10-08, 09:26 PM
I did very well on my ASVAB. My AFQT is 92.
MM - 120
CL - 126
EL - 122
GT - 127

Line Scores:
GS - 57
AR - 63
WK - 56
PC - 64
MK - 65
EL - 53
AS - 57
MC -61
AO - 62
VE - 60

Infintry - Scout/Sniper

Great Score...but uh... I hope you know your not garenteed Scout Sniper man... when you sign for your MOS you will sign a open 03 (infantry) contract... you will be lucky if you get scout sniper. I want to be 0311 (Rifleman) but ya know I could end up being a damn 0331 (Machinegunner, which I would like to have too) pretty much depending on where they need you.

gnarkill04
01-11-08, 11:55 PM
I'm new to this site, and to considering the Corps. I took the practice ASVAB test in the recruiter's office, and I scored something like a 34? I'm assuming thats really low. Can anyone clear up What that score means, because my recruiter said it's only a "practice test" and that wouldn't be my actual score. I'm afraid I'll score bad on it because I'm not too great in math, but other than that, I'm hoping I'll do okay.

kaboom1371
01-12-08, 12:05 AM
Great Score...but uh... I hope you know your not garenteed Scout Sniper man... when you sign for your MOS you will sign a open 03 (infantry) contract... you will be lucky if you get scout sniper. I want to be 0311 (Rifleman) but ya know I could end up being a damn 0331 (Machinegunner, which I would like to have too) pretty much depending on where they need you.

you will be a grunt and you can put in for scout sniper depending on several things weather you will be excepted or not. even if you are good enough to make the cut, which has a high fail percent. you will still be a grunt and move as a scout sniper when they need you.

Tiny90
01-12-08, 12:33 AM
i got a 57 and am going Security Forces. then into FAST. after that. recruiter or DI then Recon or Scout Sniper.

Tiny90
01-12-08, 12:39 AM
I'm new to this site, and to considering the Corps. I took the practice ASVAB test in the recruiter's office, and I scored something like a 34? I'm assuming thats really low. Can anyone clear up What that score means, because my recruiter said it's only a "practice test" and that wouldn't be my actual score. I'm afraid I'll score bad on it because I'm not too great in math, but other than that, I'm hoping I'll do okay.

man , my recruiters wont take anyone untill they get 50 or above. if you get a 49 they hand you a book on the ASVAB and tell you to read it! then test you a week or so later until you score high enough. (50 or above). but you only need a 32 to join.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 12:42 AM
I'm really hopin thats no where near what my score is going to be. Since its only the practice.

Also, if I'm not in delayed entry, can I still have my recruiter take me to take my ASVAB before my physical? Or do I have to wait until after?

McKec
01-12-08, 10:22 AM
I got a 92 on the ASVAB, I am going to be an 0351 Infantry Assultman, but I am going into the reserves so I can get my college degree then go active.

Wyoming
01-12-08, 10:38 AM
i got a 57 and am going Security Forces. then into FAST. after that. recruiter or DI then Recon or Scout Sniper.

My Gawd!!!

And your interests are fishing, eating and chilling.

The only thing I can see about this is a bunch of chippies believng you.

I am very interested to hear what you are doing after 2 years.

JChebahtah
01-12-08, 01:25 PM
I'm really hopin thats no where near what my score is going to be. Since its only the practice.

Also, if I'm not in delayed entry, can I still have my recruiter take me to take my ASVAB before my physical? Or do I have to wait until after?

I've heard the practice one is harder than the real one but if you can, get a study book and focus on the math and english parts. I took my ASVAB at the air base close by and I'm not DEPd. If you can, you'd probably opt to take it before because you can talk about MOS options with your recruiter before you sit down with a liason (or whatever they're called). And it's one less thing to do at MEPS.

gnarkill04
01-12-08, 04:11 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

7 more months 'till enlistment. :D

Parker-0321
01-15-08, 10:30 AM
I've heard the practice one is harder than the real one

lol not true.

the actual asvab is on a computer and can take from 1.5 hrs to like 3hrs. it's nothing like the one your recruiter gave you, it asks questions from basic and intermediate math, to mechanical and electrical knowledge, to problem solving skills. it's a pretty good aptitude test i think. the score you got on the practice test is usually really close to what you'd get on the actual test though. i think i got like an 89 on the practice and and 88 on the actual.

if you'd like to study for the test, ASVAB for dummies seems to be pretty popular.

moto83
01-15-08, 02:23 PM
lol not true.

the actual asvab is on a computer and can take from 1.5 hrs to like 3hrs. it's nothing like the one your recruiter gave you, it asks questions from basic and intermediate math, to mechanical and electrical knowledge, to problem solving skills. it's a pretty good aptitude test i think. the score you got on the practice test is usually really close to what you'd get on the actual test though. i think i got like an 89 on the practice and and 88 on the actual.

if you'd like to study for the test, ASVAB for dummies seems to be pretty popular.
Well, your hypothesis must not hold true in every case. I scored a 52 on my practice and a 75 on my actual. If you ask me that's a big difference. The best you can do is do your best. It's the most important test you will take in the beginning. It qualifies you for your job at the time of enlistment. If you can make it into mid 70's your pretty much good for anything you want. however if you score much higher you might get to do something cool like the linguist test.

Twehman
01-21-08, 03:01 AM
I go to MEPS Wednesday, I have already taken the ASVAB a few months ago when thinking about joining another branch of the Armed Forces and before I decided on the Marines. I received a 98 when I took it back in September or so, but the recruiter that took me there put my name as it appears on my license(Wheman) so I am thinking I may have to re-take it or is there a possibility of them putting my old score in my name? I am planning on choosing Infantry as my MOS.

moto83
01-21-08, 09:02 AM
I go to MEPS Wednesday, I have already taken the ASVAB a few months ago when thinking about joining another branch of the Armed Forces and before I decided on the Marines. I received a 98 when I took it back in September or so, but the recruiter that took me there put my name as it appears on my license(Wheman) so I am thinking I may have to re-take it or is there a possibility of them putting my old score in my name? I am planning on choosing Infantry as my MOS.

Your score is good for two years fromwhat I know, but from different branches might be another story. 98???Are you a walking brain?

mtroyer
01-24-08, 10:12 PM
I got an 84 on my ASVAB doing the Media Option 46xx

Twehman
01-24-08, 11:27 PM
Just swore in yesterday, went with my heart and chose Infantry. I ship out on 010310, can't wait.

lagirl09
04-09-08, 10:28 AM
Hey my name is Cassidy and I am taking my oath this May. I scored a 73 on my ASVAB and my recruiter said that this is a good enough score although I wanted to attempt it again because I was sick that day and it was my first time and only time taking the ASVAB. So I was wondering if anybody could tell me what this offers me occupation wise in the Marines. FYI I do plan on staying for the full 20 years also.

ChuckR30
04-09-08, 10:58 AM
73 on my asvab and my job is 3043 Supply Administrations and Operations Clerk

btw i scored a 69 on my practice and than got 73 on my actualy test. I think the practice definatly reflects your score you will get on the actual. Given the fact you didnt just have some good guesses on the practice.

McSweeney
04-09-08, 12:06 PM
70 on asvab.
03xx John Wayne

Seoke
04-09-08, 12:49 PM
ASVAB: 87
Hopeful MOS: Infantry 03xx

rsox353
04-09-08, 12:53 PM
I scored a low 74 on the ASVAB but my GT score was high enough to get my MOS of 0200 Military Intelligence, my plans are to learn MI and see what opportunities i can take from there.

rsox353
04-09-08, 12:56 PM
Anyone else going into intel?

mrines14
04-09-08, 12:58 PM
74 and Communication 06XX

Excited, since I learned that Data Systems 04xx recently merged with Communications 06xx

jungleman4422
04-09-08, 01:23 PM
ASVAB:69

MOS:Aircrew 73XX

Alex0816
04-09-08, 08:43 PM
83 03xx

Bullpup
04-09-08, 08:56 PM
95 03xx

A lot of high scores seem to want Infantry. Good.

LittleMissStretch
04-09-08, 10:11 PM
ASVAB: 77
MOS: 06xx

Firefox
04-09-08, 10:14 PM
ASVAB: 78
MOS: 02xx (Intel)

Lupisella
04-09-08, 10:31 PM
ASVAB: 70
MOS: Still undecided

Hologram
04-09-08, 10:52 PM
GT:144
03xx

JSam
04-09-08, 10:55 PM
I have a question maybe you guys can answer: What's the difference in your ASVAB score and you're GT?

Firefox
04-09-08, 11:04 PM
What people are putting up here are their overall scores. There are secondary levels though of which GT is apart these are called line scores and they are the scores of the specific categories in the ASVAB. Your GT score from what I understand really decides what job you get. Hope that helped.

Hologram
04-09-08, 11:14 PM
What people are putting up here are their overall scores. There are secondary levels though of which GT is apart these are called line scores and they are the scores of the specific categories in the ASVAB. Your GT score from what I understand really decides what job you get. Hope that helped.Kinda. You get your line scores from your different test scores from the ASVAB. Different jobs require certain scores on certain line scores, like Combat will need a certain score from their GT, Maintenance will require certain score from MM, Admin will need CL, etc.

JSam
04-10-08, 01:06 AM
Kinda. You get your line scores from your different test scores from the ASVAB. Different jobs require certain scores on certain line scores, like Combat will need a certain score from their GT, Maintenance will require certain score from MM, Admin will need CL, etc.

Yeah, I knew that part. That's why I was asking. I need a 80 GT to be an 0311 (aspiring sniper here).

Thanks guys.

lagirl09
04-10-08, 07:51 AM
Well I got a 73%. A 100 MM, 110 GT, 112 EL and 111 CL. I know that because of my sex I can not be in infantry like I would want to be and everything but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I might be able to get as close as possible to a front line job.

thezero
04-10-08, 09:11 AM
I got a 76 on my ASVAB. I took it last fall in school, and misplaced the paper with my score until I went to the recruiters for a Pool Function. I want to retake them since I am pretty sure I can do better, but SGT Webb told me he would kick my A$$ if i did that.

mrines14
04-10-08, 09:16 AM
I got a 76 on my ASVAB. I took it last fall in school, and misplaced the paper with my score until I went to the recruiters for a Pool Function. I want to retake them since I am pretty sure I can do better, but SGT Webb told me he would kick my A$$ if i did that.

Why? Whats the point? You already have a score where you can get any job that you want, AFQT wise...whats the really point, as I'm told, once you are in, no one gives a damn about what score you got on your ASVAB.

thezero
04-10-08, 09:32 AM
Why? Whats the point? You already have a score where you can get any job that you want, AFQT wise...whats the really point, as I'm told, once you are in, no one gives a damn about what score you got on your ASVAB.

Because I feel I can do better. Am I happy with what I got? Yes with that score I can get what I would like. Am I satisfied with my scores? Not so much, I always want to improve and I feel like I can get a score in the high 80's

frizzle1
04-14-08, 09:38 PM
thinking about 35 tango anybody have any recommendations?

jrwenzel
04-14-08, 10:36 PM
hey! I'm Jamie and I scored a 93 on the ASVAB. I'm at my first year of college right now, decided to enlist in January and I'm shipping off on May 27th. MOS? 7300 enlisted flight crew

BadJustice
04-15-08, 01:59 AM
I got a 97 on my ASVAB, not sure about the line scores. Im pretty sure they were all in the 110-125 range though. My MOS assignment is currently 1300, but I am hoping to switch to 1371 later in my enlistment.

Papadubya
04-15-08, 09:46 AM
I scored a 90 on the ASVAB while fighting to stay awake, haha! I'm (hopefully) goin Security Forces and am finishing up my first year here at Eastern Michigan University.

JayBee
04-15-08, 01:31 PM
Your score is fine. I scored a 73 AFQT, and I had just gotten off working the graveyard shift at UPS ( literally, I drove from UPS to the RSS). And a hazmat package broke open next to the truck I load, so I was breathing in toxic fumes all morning. I know I could do 10 times better since I didn't even finish the last 10 questions or so on several of the parts.

jungleman4422
04-15-08, 04:06 PM
That is an Army job classification number, find the equal of Marine jobs and then post.

AND FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!

Firefox
04-15-08, 06:33 PM
That is an Army job classification number, find the equal of Marine jobs and then post.

AND FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!

Well said Jungleman we Poolees need to police ourselves good job.:marine:

CMondloch7o3
04-15-08, 08:25 PM
I scored a 97 AFQT... I thought I did bad because my math skills were lacking without a calculator, but I suppose I made some good educated guesses!
My MOS is 1345 Engineer, but I'd like too get it changed sooner or later to Intel or Infantry.

Hologram
04-15-08, 09:54 PM
I scored a 97 AFQT... I thought I did bad because my math skills were lacking without a calculator, but I suppose I made some good educated guesses!
My MOS is 1345 Engineer, but I'd like too get it changed sooner or later to Intel or Infantry.If your math skills are lacking without a calculator then you don't have great math skills....

Just saying. Calculators are for finding stuff you can't find by yourself (like cos(5)) and for making advanced math go faster. Basic arithmetic shouldn't be a problem.

Domforce24
04-24-08, 11:31 AM
Scored a 90 on the ASVAB and GT score of 126.
I am going Reconnaissance and have been training hardcore for the last 5 months and am shipping out on the 11th of August.

Pullups: 32
Situps: 125
3 Mile: 20:00

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-24-08, 11:35 AM

That is simply outstanding.:evilgrin:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-24-08, 11:37 AM
If your math skills are lacking without a calculator then you don't have great math skills....

Just saying. Calculators are for finding stuff you can't find by yourself (like cos(5)) and for making advanced math go faster. Basic arithmetic shouldn't be a problem.

Hey Holo, some people just aren't good at Math. I'm one of them, so don't be knocking people because they need calculators to help them with Math problems.

KevinR90
04-24-08, 03:32 PM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being crappy at math. You shouldn't criticize like that. He's explaining why he thought he did bad- he already knows he's not good at math.

Scored a 90 on the ASVAB and GT score of 126.
I am going Reconnaissance and have been training hardcore for the last 5 months and am shipping out on the 11th of August.

Pullups: 32
Situps: 125
3 Mile: 20:00
sweet- which MCRD are you going to? I'm going to Parris Island. Nice PFT times by the way.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-24-08, 03:34 PM

You can't "go" reconnaissance pup. You have to go 03xx and then pass an indoc. Good luck, i hope you get it. Keep working hard.

Posterus Vis
04-24-08, 06:18 PM
I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and got through MEPS yesterday. (20080422)
I have to say that MEPS was...well it was MEPS. Passed out when they took my blood.

My ship date is 20080908. And I was wondering is anyone knew how to change my status on the forum from "Marine friend" to Poolee/DEP?

phantasm
04-24-08, 06:23 PM
I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and got through MEPS yesterday. (20080422)
I have to say that MEPS was...well it was MEPS. Passed out when they took my blood.

My ship date is 20080908. And I was wondering is anyone knew how to change my status on the forum from "Marine friend" to Poolee/DEP?

Send a PM to jinelson and respectfully request a status change to Poolee. Good job on the ASVAB, try not to pass out in boot when they take your blood.

Posterus Vis
04-24-08, 06:28 PM
Send a PM to jinelson and respectfully request a status change to Poolee. Good job on the ASVAB, try not to pass out in boot when they take your blood.

I tried to edit my post to say that I found it, thanks anyway.

I've never liked needles, and I made the mistake of looking over at the big one sticking in my arm. I'd never had blood taken before. I came back in about 30 seconds (I was told) and I bounced back to normal in about 60 seconds. I never even saw him attach a vial to the needle. All the other Army/Navy/Air Force applicants gave me lip about it, but then again, I was one of only 3 who was applying to the Marines that day.

Switchfire
04-24-08, 06:53 PM
Yeah I scored a 62 :/ Sorry im not as skilled as you guys lol.. But I scored high enough to go Intel (I should be getting the job not 100% sure though)

It was awesome to see only the people who my recruiter took up going into the Marines. Im sure there was more.. but it wasnt noticable.

KevinR90
04-24-08, 06:53 PM
ha ha. Reminds me of last december when I went down. They took the vile, and I was just a little dizzy so I sat and did nothing (not like that was something new at MEPS). I got lip from everyone else, though as far as I can remember none of the other Marine Corps guys said anything- it was just the Navy and Air Force guys. They just have to get something over on us now because they know when we're Marines (hopefully) we could kick their asses.

Hey, ya know Air Force boot camp is going to be increased to 8.5 weeks instead of 6? I read about it online somewhere. Said they're actually going to have them learn about rifles and such because they can't always rely on the Army or Marine Corps to provide security. It's so weird, they're going to be in boot camp longer than the Navy. I'll have to tell my brother, dad, and mom this (Navy all of them).