PDA

View Full Version : VA Revises Priority for Doctor Visits

firstsgtmike
01-02-04, 09:30 PM
VA Gives Priority to Veterans With Service-Related Problems to Schedule Doctor Visits

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON Jan. 2 — Veterans needing medical help about health problems stemming from their military service will be scheduled first for nonemergency appointments under new rules announced Friday by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Appointments for such veterans must be scheduled within 30 days of the request. When an appointment is unavailable, the VA must arrange for care at another VA facility or contract for out for it, VA Secretary Anthony Principi said in a statement.

Any veteran needing emergency care still will be treated immediately. The new rule changes a policy in which veterans with service-connected health issues, such as a war injury or certain cancers related to Agent Orange exposure and who are not severely disabled, waited with other veterans for appointments.

Last October, Principi gave priority for appointments to veterans with 50 percent or more disability ratings. Such severely disabled veterans also get priority for nonservice-related health problems.

"If a veteran cannot see a doctor in a timely manner, then we have failed that veteran," Principi said.

Veterans have been enduring waits of up to two years for appointments since demand increased after the VA opened its medical facilities to all veterans in 1998. The VA has made some progress toward reducing waiting times. Principi hoped that by the end of 2003, veterans would need to wait no more than 30 days to see a primary care physician.

Phil Budahn, a VA spokesman, said that in July 2002 more than 300,000 veterans had been waiting more than six months for primary care appointments at VA institutions. The list has dropped to about 30,000, he said.

John Brieden, the American Legion's national commander, said the new rule shows that the VA health care system is so burdened that it cannot handle the demand and should get more money.

"What they are doing is admitting they can't do it for everybody they are supposed to do it for, so they must put priority on some folks and tell others, `Gee, we can't see you right now,'" Brieden said.

The House has passed a spending bill containing $28.6 billion for veterans' health care, $2.8 billion more than last year's allocation. The Senate should take up the bill when it reconvenes Jan. 20. Brieden said the additional money should relieve some of the demand, but it won't be enough to allow higher-income veterans eliminated from VA health care last year to re-enter the system.

Last January, Principi barred new enrollment of higher-income veterans in the VA health care system without health problems related to their military service. He's required by law to re-evaluate that decision this year.

TMM54
01-02-04, 09:44 PM
I wrote to Secretary Principi last year concerning slow treatment
for service related medical problems, and I got treatment and
surgery within 45 days ( I would have died without it). This
Secretary of the VA is trying to make the system work for all of
us, but he doen't print the money. We have to constantly
bombard our elected representatives about veterans health issues, or otherwise, the problem will get worse. The system is
not perfect, but it beats dying. Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray

radio relay
01-03-04, 04:32 AM
Interesting.

I applied back in May. I'm a Viet Vet, with no service connected problems (that I know of). I just wanted to be screened for hep-c, and get into the system (in case I need it later).

Haven't heard squat. Wonder if I ever will.... maybe I'm 29,000th on the list by now

SF

CAS3
01-03-04, 08:23 AM
Relay...
depending onthe back log at your local VA, you should receive a letter from them saying they are working on your claim.
Just to make sure you have taken the apppropriate steps...
1. Go to the VA medical center eligibility office with a copy of your DD214. You should recieve an ID card an be enrolled in a clinic.
2. Call that clinic to schedule an appointment to see your primary care doctor.
3. tell that Doc that you request a hep C screen.
This should only take days not weeks.

As a veteran, I can honestly say I have had no problems with medical care. I am service connected and my trips to the ER have always been wait free. I have gotten in and out before non service connected vets. Secretary Principi was actually re-stating procedures which are already in place.
Regarding funding...check out the Independent Budget report. My organization has assisted to draw it up every year. All VA funding is public knowledge. You just need to know where to look.

******************PS************
I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE F &^%NG CONSPIRACY THEORIES. If you wish to respond to anything in the VA forums, you should know that I will not tolerate any idea supprting a conspiracy. I have worked in the VA office for too long to believe otherwise. And as a vet, I know how to assist other vets without getting on any bandwagon!

radio relay
01-03-04, 09:48 AM
Appreciate your input CAS.

What I did was fill out a bunch of forms, and sent them in, since I live about 150 miles from the nearest VA clinic/hospital. I got confirmation of them having been received, but that's it in over six months.

So, do you think I will actually have to take a trip to Denver, and handle it in person?

I'd kind of like to know about the hepititas-c issue, and in the future, if I need any perscriptions, it would be nice to be in the system (considering the price of drugs). I was also on several defoliated hills around I-Corps, and I figure it would be good to be in the system, just in case anything ever crops up due to agent orange exposure.

SF

Slepinski
01-03-04, 06:27 PM
Hellow: Im the FNG on the block and I need a little help. My name is Slepinski 1964-69. After many tries I have been told that I really do have some medical records. Of course I was given a phone number to call at the VAMC in Buffalo to call first. I want to file a claim but I need some do's & don'ts from you guys who have been there. Thank you, and a very Happy New Year to all Marines. Rich Slepinski

CAS3
01-05-04, 11:51 AM
THIS WAS A RELEASE FROM THE VA

Disabled Veterans Get Health Care Priority from VA

WASHINGTON (Jan. 2, 2004) - All veterans with service-connected medical
problems will receive priority access to health care from the Department of
Veterans Affairs (VA) under a new directive.

"Caring for veterans with service-connected medical problems is a major
reason VA exists," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi.
"This directive should ease the minds of veterans who no longer have to wait
for health care appointments."

The new directive provides that all veterans requiring care for a
service-connected disability -- regardless of the extent of their injury --
must be scheduled for a primary care evaluation within 30 days of their
request for care. If a VA facility is unable to schedule an appointment
within 30 days, it must arrange for care at another VA facility, at a
contract facility or through a sharing agreement.

The directive covers hospitalization and outpatient care. It does not apply
to care for medical problems not related to a service-connected disability.
However, veterans needing emergency care will be treated immediately.

The new provision is an extension of rules that took effect in October 2002
for severely disabled veterans. Under the earlier rule, priority access to
health care went to veterans with disabilities rated at 50 percent or more.
For the severely disabled, the priority includes care for
non-service-connected medical problems.

The number of veterans using VA's health care system has risen dramatically
in recent years, increasing from 2.9 million in 1995 to nearly 5 million in
2003. Although VA operates more than 1,300 sites of care, including 162
hospitals and more than 800 outpatient clinics, the increase in veterans
seeking care outstrips VA's capacity to treat them.

"VA provides the finest health care in the country, but if a veteran cannot
see a doctor in a timely manner, then we have failed that veteran," Principi
said.

"I will work to honor our commitment to veterans," he said. "But when it
comes to non-emergency health care, we must give the priority to veterans
with service-connected disabilities."