PDA

View Full Version : Willie Nelson records war-protest song

thedrifter
01-02-04, 10:19 AM
Willie Nelson records
war-protest song
Country music legend to perform
at Kucinich fund-raiser this weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 1, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Country music legend Willie Nelson is joining the list of entertainment celebrities to protest the war in Iraq.

According to a report in the Austin American-Statesman, Nelson woke up Christmas morning, listened to the news, and said: "There was nothing but bad news, and here it was Christmas Day. I said, 'There sure are a lot of babies dying and mothers crying,' and [his wife] Annie said, 'That sounds like a song.'" The result was an anti-war ballad titled, "What Ever Happened to Peace on Earth."

Nelson will debut the protest song, the report said, at this Saturday's fund-raising concert in Austin, Texas, for Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich.

During the 1991 Gulf War, Nelson frequently sang a previous anti-war song, titled "Jimmy's Road," at peace rallies, reported the American-Statesman.

Does Nelson worry about sharing the scorn that the Dixie Chicks received after that group's lead singer's public put-down of President George W. Bush? Will it cause a backlash from conservative country fans?

"I sure hope so," he told the Austin paper. "I don't care if people say, 'Who the hell does he think he is?' I know who I am."

Having reportedly recorded the song in Nashville yesterday, Nelson says reactions so far has been positive.

Nelson's support of Kucinich – whose campaign released the lyrics Tuesday – is based on the Ohio congressman's support of family farmers.

"I just like him because he tells the truth," Nelson told the American-Statesman. "Whether he's electable or not, who knows? But when you've got a guy you can trust, you've got a good candidate."

Ironically, as WorldNetDaily reported recently, Kucinich recently headlined a fund-raiser for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a group with ties to the Mideast terrorist organization Hamas and an agenda for an Islamic USA.

"We would like to thank all those who helped us reach our fund-raising goal," CAIR Chairman Omar Ahmad said at the time. "These added resources will enable us to continue and expand our work defending civil rights and promoting a positive image of Islam."

Kucinich has taken part in other CAIR events recently, including a Ramadan iftar, or fast breaking, on Capitol Hill hosted by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich. That event was co-sponsored by Reps. Gregory Meeks, D-N.Y., Kucinich, Conyers, D-Ohio, Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif., and Barbara Lee, D-Calif.

And Tuesday, Kucinish visited a Tampa, Fla.-area mosque, informing those in attendance that American Muslims were being unfairly targeted by the U.S. government.

"At this time of rolling back of civil liberties, all Americans need to be worried about any American deprived of his or her rights," Kucinich said at the Islamic Society of Tampa, according to the Associated Press. "All Americans should be very concerned about a government trying to get more and more into peoples' private lives.

Kucinich added that his opposition to the Iraq war will lead him directly to the White House.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36400

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

greybeard
01-02-04, 01:42 PM
And one more liberal slant on things. An unbelievably inaccurate article, but not suprising, considering where it came from. Saw a live interview yesterday, and literaly evrything posted above was taken out of context from what he actually said. WorldNetDaily.com is probably the most un-reliable source of the truth known to man. I put them on par with the Nat'l Inquirer & it's Alien Invasion stories.

greybeard
01-02-04, 02:01 PM
Here's a good example of WND's sensationalism type reporting.

Their front page news story:
FROM JOSEPH FARAH's G2 BULLETIN
WorldNetDaily Exclusive
U.S. shuts oil terminal
over fears of sea terror
Alaska facility at Valdez closed
indefinitely amid al-Qaida threats
--WND

Indefinitely???? Here's what really happened:

US halts Alaska oil shipments due to security fears
Reuters, 01.01.04, 9:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States suspended oil shipments for two days from Alaska's major port of Valdez as a security precaution amid a heightened terror alert, officials said Thursday.

The halt of oil transfers onto tankers began Tuesday and was lifted Thursday. It was part of "a continuing effort to ensure the security of our homeland," consistent with Code Orange, the second-highest alert level the United States has been at since Dec. 21, said Russ Knocke, a Department of Homeland Security spokesman.

"Right now we are allowing tanker traffic throughout the port," Lt. jg Latarsha McQueen of the Coast Guard's Valdez Marine Safety Office said. "Appropriate safety measures are being taken with regard to the security information that we have."

WND-Two Headed aliens invade Nova Scotia!!!!-Read all about it-You heard it here first!!

G.L.B.
01-02-04, 02:14 PM
If singers wrote about songs based on the bad the saw on the news everyday they could promote a new cd every week. This is not the only bad news that is shared on the television. What about all horrable thing that americans are doing to eachother on a daily basis? why does everything have to be motivated on the negitivity of Bush, and the PEACE effort in Iraq?

yellowwing
01-02-04, 02:20 PM
Willie, we thought we knew ya'. You can't afford to be too liberal when our lads are in the field.

greybeard
01-02-04, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
You can't afford to be too liberal when our lads are in the field.

It's the 'support the troops, but not the mission' thing. I see it here every day. Without the mission, the troops would be home & happy in places like Pendelton and Ft Stewart, with not as much need for a public show of support.

The terrorists and Al Queda just relish every word of this sort of stuff. When they can make inroads onto a USMC supported site, they are sure victory can't be far behind.

Phantom Blooper
01-02-04, 03:09 PM
Sings Good,but smoked too much pot........:)

TracGunny
01-02-04, 03:40 PM
The lyrics (in case you were wondering):

There's so many things going on in the world
Babies dying
Mothers crying
How much oil is one human life worth
And what ever happened to peace on earth

We believe everything that they tell us
They're gonna' kill us
So we gotta' kill them first
But I remember a commandment
Thou shall not kill
How much is that soldier's life worth
And whatever happened to peace on earth

(Bridge)
And the bewildered herd is still believing
Everything we've been told from our birth
Hell they won't lie to me
Not on my own damn TV
But how much is a liar's word worth

So I guess it's just
Do unto others before they do it to you
Let's just kill em' all and let God sort em' out
Is this what God wants us to do

(Repeat Bridge)
Not on my own damn TV

Now you probably won't hear this on your radio
Probably not on your local TV
But if there's a time, and if you're ever so inclined
You can always hear it from me
How much is one picker's word worth

But don't confuse caring for weakness
You can't put that label on me
The truth is my weapon of mass protection
And I believe truth sets you free

(Bridge)
Not on my own damn TV

http://www.counterpunch.org/nelson12302003.html

firstsgtmike
01-02-04, 03:49 PM
"During the 1991 Gulf War, Nelson frequently sang a previous anti-war song, titled "Jimmy's Road," at peace rallies, reported the American-Statesman."

echo3mike
01-02-04, 04:04 PM
Farm Aid Willie.... One of the main reasons the small family farmer lost his or her land was because of the Democrats Death Tax. G.W. Bush got rid of it and Farm Aid Willie still votes Democrat. And if memory serves me ol Willie had a tab of about 30 million to the IRS so I wonder how much Farm Aid paid for that. Just a little something to think about........ Happy New Year ...... Murph

Devildogg4ever
01-02-04, 04:11 PM
Whats the best way to put it, ..... you are either for or against!!!

Willie trying to preach, too? "But I remember a commandment
Thou shall not kill"! He's right, but the good book also says you follow the law of the land!!

I use to like Willie, til I found out the whole time he was telling his band, "your wired, your fired"! And the whole time he was telling them, he was doing his own tokin! I'm trying to figure out , does he just talk to sound good???

yellowwing
01-02-04, 04:48 PM
My thinking is, who are we to judge. We are part of the most lethal force in all of mankinds history. I am guilty in taking pride in that. We have kept our Nation safe and secure. That is our purpose and we do it so well.

Perhaps we are blinded by our pride on what is right and wrong. We are the last people who should stand in judgement. We can only avow that our brothers stood with us and never failed.

yellowwing
01-02-04, 04:54 PM
Well hell, that's sounds like the makings of a good country song! Who needs the fat cats in Nashville! :)

Devildogg4ever
01-03-04, 06:43 AM
Sounds like your on to something, yellowwing! Who's got Toby Keith's number??? http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/elitewarriorsworld/Asmily2/gitarre77.gif

tommyboy
01-03-04, 12:33 PM
Whatever happened to peace on earth? Have we EVER had any peace?

Phantom Blooper
01-03-04, 01:18 PM
Whatever happened to peace on earth? Have we EVER had any peace? Nope.......Brother against brother....Cain&Able.

leroy8541
01-03-04, 06:06 PM
Well, I guess I'll never smoke weed with Willie again.

Barrio_rat
01-03-04, 06:12 PM
Yeah, we've had peace... my wife fell asleep the other night... peace at last, peace at last!

kentmitchell
01-04-04, 04:13 PM
He's a bummed-out druggie. What do you expect?

LONEEAGLE
01-04-04, 06:03 PM
Comin' from a "PUBLISHED SONG WRITER'S POSITION".......It's just a song on how the man feels, like many other's. Many a great song, (not sayin' this is) has come from a mere word, thought, hearin' something, seein' somethin', etc....If it's his politics, I defend his rights as an American to sing, write, talk, whatever he wants. As we all have that right....I disagree with the possibility that it will hurt Morale from the troops....As I'm sure AFR, (armed forces radio, via commanding general) won't air any time soon. Just take two sides here. Charlie Daniels, very Patriotic, and other's, "IT AIN'T RAG, IT'S A FLAG." He's on one end of the spectrum, and Willie Boy is on the other.....NO I DON'T LIKE ANY KIND OF POLITICAL SONG PERIOD.....if this is what the general concensus is who have read the lyrics, possibly listened to the song. Yet, all the world has never known peace that I can remember, and I'm a baby, 55....I thought maybe it'da been smart to get out of IRAG, after ol' Rag Head Hussein was nabbed...but then I looked at the overall picture, "NAH" let's get 'em all.....Unfortunately whatever cause, whatever reason, right, wrong, otherwise, there's always goin' to be someone takin' sides, no matter what, it's the "FREEDOM" we as American's enjoy.....And the "FREEDOM" many yet to this day in so many different countries don't have, and the war can be labeled by anyone for whatever cause they feel.....I still like the ol' coot....Had a chance to meet him....At his big doin's on the 4th of July in TX., he goes out into the crowd, and with check book in hand, writes checks to those whomever asks. This is a fact. So he cain't be all "THAT BAD?" "EH?" But I know where all are comin' from, and you too enjoy what he does, "THE RIGHT TO SPEAK YOUR MINDS." "WHICH I RESPECT, HONOR WILL DEFEND, AT WHATEVER COST, FOR YOU, FOR WILLIE, FOR CDB, OTHER'S!!!"
Maybe Bill Oreilly could get a holt of him, and rake him over da cools!! It's just a 'SONG', maybe his politics, ????, conservative, liberal, independent, or maybe he's ********HILLARY? GOTTA LOVE IT....I'm gone.

greybeard
01-04-04, 06:14 PM
If hes bangin Hilary, he must have smoked a lot more than weed.
Not on my drunkest night, and ther've been a bunch of them, could I ever fall that low. Dat woman's fugly!!

LONEEAGLE
01-05-04, 09:16 AM
greybeard? You're hillarious....You can come up with some good 'n's...You be rite, she be FUGLY, AMEN BRO.
PEACE? YEA, MY WIFE WENT TO SLEEP!!!! THAT WAS GREAT...
I've read the song, over and over. When I was in Nam, there was I believe prior to, or after, a big Jam, WOODSTOCK...A song. And it's 1-2-3-4 WHATA WE FIGHTIN' FOR? NOBODY GIVES A DAMN, GONNA SEND ME TO VIET NAM. AND IT'S 5-6-7-8, OPEN THEM PEARLY GATES. Anybody remember who did this song?
I sorta liked it...I'd like for someone to tell me the "BAND OR ARTIST NAME< will ya? EAGLE IS GONE. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, AND AMERICA....GOTTA LOVE IT.

Dan_Mills
01-05-04, 07:54 PM
And who was it that said, " There's never been a good war or a bad piece?"

thedrifter
01-05-04, 08:38 PM
Eagle

Artist was Country Joe and Fish.....

Name of the Song with words....

The Fish Cheer & I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag
Gimme an F!

F!
Gimme an I!

I!
Gimme an S!

S!
Gimme an H!

H!
What's that spell ?

FISH!
What's that spell ?

FISH!
What's that spell ?

FISH!
Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds —
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Vietnam;
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Huh!

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.

Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

http://www.countryjoe.com/

War Music you can listen to....
http://www.countryjoe.com/warsongs.htm

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

snipowsky
07-05-04, 07:47 PM
Willie needs to lay off them drugs!

Staff Sgt. Phantom Blooper you make it sound like he quit tokin. He smokes just as much bud now as he did 30-40 years ago!

He has every right to say and do as he pleases, but he has just lost a lot of my respect. Sometimes I just don't understand liberals, and I even try very hard to understand them.

Maybe I'll never understand their twisted ways of thought! Just like they won't ever understand us conservatives!

And about "peace on earth"! Won't happen until our maker comes back! Has there ever really truely been peace on earth?

Maybe we are all living in hell...so everyone step up and take a bite of this nasty **** sandwich we call life!

I'm done supplying Willie with my good buds if he's going to act like this! It's a waste of my superb crops!

FREEBIRD
07-05-04, 08:16 PM
I used to listen to a little willie every now and then, But hes now with the dixie chicks in my book.........I'll never spend a dime on his records or the dixie chicks. I may be old fashioned but I say Back the troops 100%, They didnt ask to go, but they do!!! And its buttholes like the dixie chicks and willie along with war protestors like Kerry and Hanoi Jane that just P I S S me off.
If you are an American and you can't back your president and your troops, then YOU need to move to a new country where you do.

Phantom Blooper
07-05-04, 08:35 PM
Sings Good,but smoked too much pot........
Staff Sgt. Phantom Blooper you make it sound like he quit tokin. He smokes just as much bud now as he did 30-40 years ago! Smokin' pot is Willies business. I know Willie smokes too much pot. That is what I am reefering too! Willie was interviewed years ago on a country show and was asked if that pot his band and he smoked was real? He stated,"That it was real,and if it wasn't it would definitely p*ss the boys off."

I too would not buy his albums,but he still sings good for a "War Protester" That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:banana:

eddief
07-05-04, 10:18 PM
Willie is for the troops. He's just not for the damn politicians. And Freebird, the president isn't a king or emperor. He works for us and not the other way around. He is the commander in chief of the military, but I aint in the military anymore so Bush can kiss my ass. He's not the country. We the people are the country and the politicians need to frickin learn that.

DSchmitke
07-06-04, 09:16 AM
Are we sure he's up to date on his taxes. Might need money to pay them again.